No Lockout on Leg Press?

Just need opinion

I’ve read a few articles before where they say don’t look leg presses to lockout.

Is that correct or not?

Nah, i don’t do lock out, I like to always have some type of pressure / resistance. I’ve heard that lock out isn’t the best thing for your knees…that’s usually comes from the same people who say squatting ATG is bad for ur knees

It’s uncomfortable for me to lock out on a leg press. I don’t see the reason for it. Just make sure you go deep (thighs to chest) and you should be fine.

no lock out. keeps continuous tension that way plus you could get injured…possibly hyper-extend your knee joints and that would be BAD

No lockout on leg press.

Not sure if its just me, but I find myself going down knees to chest on the Leg Press and get myself injured. Strained abdominal twice because of this. FYI…I’m done with Leg Press for a long time – sticking to squats.

[quote]1morerep wrote:
no lock out. keeps continuous tension that way plus you could get injured…possibly hyper-extend your knee joints and that would be BAD[/quote]

Agreed, you’ll work harder too because your not resting at the top.

The reason you can injure yourself as I understand it is that when you lock your knee you’ll most likely relax your quads, so there is nothing except the structure of your knee stopping it from hyperextending.

forcefully lock out with the massive amounts of weight you can use on the leg press and you put a huge strain on the ligaments holding your knee together. Birds knees bend forwards but if yours do it, it might be painful…

no lockout, no point. holding the weight and keeping the pressure on will be much better for stregth, and you just might save your knees.

on a side note, juz a bit…between reps, when squatting, it sounds like the consensus is to have your knee’s slightly bent. This is my approach, is this right / common practice ?

[quote]TheOlympian wrote:
on a side note, juz a bit…between reps, when squatting, it sounds like the consensus is to have your knee’s slightly bent. This is my approach, is this right / common practice ?[/quote]

I agree with this. Just slightly, just enough you can feel it isn’t locking.

[quote]TheOlympian wrote:
on a side note, juz a bit…between reps, when squatting, it sounds like the consensus is to have your knee’s slightly bent. This is my approach, is this right / common practice ?[/quote]

In my opinion, maybe ‘bent’ isn’t the right term. I actually straighten my knee in the squat although I don’t lock it.

I find straightening my knee is no problem and keeps my quads flexed however there is another degree or so that I can extend my knee which also causes them to internaly rotate.

This is were I believe theres alot of strain on the ligaments and often were the quads and hamstrings relax to an extent(which you want to avoid).

How much range of motion you have at a particular joint is very individual, but you often see people who are stopping 10degrees short of full extension, which is fine if your trying to keep more load on your quads at the top of the movement but not necessary to protect the knee in my opinion.

In short depending on the range of movement of your knees, you should be able to straighten yor leg, but avoid full extension where you relax your quads and hamstrings at the top of the lift and espesially don’t allow your knees to rotate inwards or hyperextend.