No Libido

Hey guys,

After lurking for several weeks, I’ve decided to make an account and try and get some info relating to my specific situation…

I’m 25, in decent shape, but have been suffering from a very poor libido since I got to college seven years ago. I went from being horny ALL THE TIME to not needing to “take care of business” more than once every couple of weeeks. Also have not had morning wood for a very long time (which is the primary symptom that makes me think this is a physical issue). Beyond this problem, I live a relatively stress-free life.

I FINALLY went to a doctor to get my test levels checked. Came back at a total T in the mid-400’s. Thyroid panel was all normal. He didn’t test free T or E2. Told me the issues are psychological and that he wasn’t going to prescribe anything.

Desperate for relief, I put myself on Clomid for approximately a month (.25 mg ED). Seeing absolutely no difference, I added arimidex (.25 mg ED). Still nothing after a month.

I realize my T is on the low side for my age. This has become a major problem in my life–really the only thing that’s been weighing down on me and I just want to get it taken care of. Should I be looking for a referral to an endo to get some more numbers to shine some light on the issue?

I appreciate any thoughts or advice in advance.

While there may be other problems for some people, normally problems with libido don’t start until testosterone drops below around 350. Above that level more T normally doesn’t mean more libido. But that is assuming normal SHBG so that free T would be decent, so maybe more extensive blood tests might be in order.

But be aware that testosterone is oversold for libido. There can be many other reasons for low libido, including thyroid problems, stress, anxiety, depression, etc. And drugs and medications are a big culprit. Have you ever taken antidepressants or propecia (hair loss medication)? Any history of ADHD medication, stimulants or nootropics (study drugs)? Any history of acne medication?

Some recreational drugs can also cause long term problems in some people. Any drastic weight loss or weight gain when the problems started?

There may be a lot of problems but ‘doctor’ declared that the reason is anxiety. Sounds so familiar same happened to me. M-Fing urologist did not even check thyroid in my case, just said - it’s all in your head. In my opinion it is just plain criminal and should be prosecuted as such.

There can be many other reasons for low libido, including thyroid problems, stress, anxiety, depression, etc. And drugs and medications are a big culprit. Have you ever taken antidepressants or propecia (hair loss medication)? Any history of ADHD medication, stimulants or nootropics (study drugs)? Any history of acne medication?

Some recreational drugs can also cause long term problems in some people. Any drastic weight loss or weight gain when the problems started?

Well, he ran thyroid tests and everything came back normal, as well as prolactin. No drug use, no big weight changes. All in all, I feel pretty happy–this is the only real issue in my life as of now.

I do have glimpses of normality; once every couple months I’ll get a semi (sorry for TMI) thinking about or texting a potential hookup, etc. I’m able to get it up enough to do the deed, but only just enough, and I find myself getting BORED during it. I’m never the initiator anymore. It’s awful!

It’s mostly alarming because it’s such a night and day change from before. I was a complete hornball, and now it’s like nothing.

In the event that I’m not able to work something out with a MD, I’m not above self-medicating-- this is a major enough problem that I’ll do whatever I’ve got to do to solve it. I’m just very reluctant to put myself on TRT, what with fertility issues and whatnot, especially if I’m not relatively certain it’s going to do anything.

Hey seekonk- this is my first post, I was going to make my own thread but you touched on something I was going to bring up. I’m having libido issues as well, although my numbers are lower than the original poster. But your post caught my eye because: I have taken ADD/ADHAD medication, anti-acne medication, and antidepressants … I’m assuming that’s a bad sign, but I’ve addressed with antidepressants and they don’t see any connection. I’d love to hear your, or any other member’s thoughts. Frankly, I’m at my wits end and would really appreciate your input.

Thanks

John

Get your test results and post here, including the thyroid panel. Read the stickies and try to get the comprehensive testing listed. Kind of hard to make a recommendation with zero info.

Was able to get a referral to a urologist. Had new labs done, total T came back 370 and free T 85 from a morning draw. The doctor said that because I’m in the reference range, they’ve ruled out physiological causes and can get me a psych evaluation if I want one.

This more or less confirms what I’ve suspected, that I’m at the lower end of the reference range, and if I’m unable to get anything done to remedy the low numbers, I’ll likely begin self-medicating and go from there.

You need to post your thyroid labs and stop with saying that your doc says your thyroid is normal. Read the advice for new guys sticky and the one on thyroid. Your FT means nothing without the lab range. The collective tribal knowledge is in the stickies.

You need to test LH/FSH to know if your testes or your pituitary are the problem. You have not had any proper diagnostic work done or you are not providing all of your lab results.

You need to manage your own health care and that means knowing more than your doctor(s); which is not very difficult.

Unfortunately I didn’t ask what the LH/FSH came back as on this last test. The urologist didn’t run thyroids on this test, though my GP did with the first test; I’ll try and find the results for that and post back.

Okay, it looks like they originally ran TSH: came back at 1.61 (.035-5.50). That appears to be the only thyroid test they ran.

that tells you almost nothing.

Hey Guys,

I used to juice a lot when I was younger and took a few years off. Last July I got off a cycle of test and after my pct I felt fine. Recently (10 months after) my sex drive has been low so I went to the doc and got tested. The results came back for my free test and it was 26, this is on a scale of 31-94. The doc suggested I wait 3 months and get tested again. If it is low she would give me TRT.

Some background info on me, I’m 28 and I also used to smoke weed everyday. Since this test I stopped smoking and my sex drive is a bit better but not what it used to be. I’m wondering if I should run another cycle of nolvadex and or tribulus to help it boost naturally or wait for the TRT.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks