T Nation

No Glute Ham Raise Machine

I don’t have a glute ham raise machine at my gym. What should I use instead?

Deadlifts, stiff-legged deadlifts, RDL’s, leg curls, step ups, lunges, good mornings, natural glute-ham raises, squats, etc.

People have grown strong and muscular legs without a glute-ham raise machine since the beginning of time.

I’ve found MOST…or at least many gyms don’t have a GHR “machine”…

Don’t get too caught up on GHRs…they’re a great exercise, but just ONE of many you can do.

I think I’ve read previously that straight legged deadlifts work the hamstrings well.

If you’re really set on GHR, I’ve TRIED doing them on a lat pulldown bench (so I can hook my feet under the part you’d normally put your knees)…they’re ok that way…(and I have weak hamstrings) but still not QUITE the same as a GHR machine.

hth

[quote]m00se wrote:
I’ve found MOST…or at least many gyms don’t have a GHR “machine”…

Don’t get too caught up on GHRs…they’re a great exercise, but just ONE of many you can do.

I think I’ve read previously that straight legged deadlifts work the hamstrings well.

If you’re really set on GHR, I’ve TRIED doing them on a lat pulldown bench (so I can hook my feet under the part you’d normally put your knees)…they’re ok that way…(and I have weak hamstrings) but still not QUITE the same as a GHR machine.

hth[/quote]

This is a good way. There are three other methods I’ve tried. Get someone to hold you feet down, I think this is called a natural GHR. Put your feet under a leg extension machine. The best method I’ve found is using a roman chair at the lowest decline possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klZnAoNXEEg

This is a video I found on youtube. I am working towards that level of strength on natural GHRs.

Personally, I think straight legged DL’s and romanians DLs (with proper arched back form) are shit as the forearms and grip tend to give out before the hams do, therefore it makes it a pointless exercise.

I use variety of leg curls, reverse hyper, and reverse leg press.

Damn! Very nice glute ham raise on the lat machine.

[quote]greekdawg wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klZnAoNXEEg

Personally, I think straight legged DL’s and romanians DLs (with proper arched back form) are shit as the forearms tend to give out before the hams do, therefore it makes it a pointless exercise.

I use variety of leg curls, reverse hyper, and reverse leg press.[/quote]

Goddamn my legs burned just sitting here and watching that.

[quote]greekdawg wrote:

Personally, I think straight legged DL’s and romanians DLs (with proper arched back form) are shit as the forearms tend to give out before the hams do, therefore it makes it a pointless exercise.
[/quote]
That’s what straps are for.

This has come up before, and the best idea I heard was to put some heavy weight on the Smith machine and hook your legs under the bar. I like to position the bench perpendicular to the bar so I have something to push off at the bottom.

[quote]wfifer wrote:
That’s what straps are for.
[/quote]

I was speaking with straps as well. Like I said, its just my personal opinion but the grip seems to play too much of a factor especially with “good” form (not rounding the back)

This has come up before, and the best idea I heard was to put some heavy weight on the Smith machine and hook your legs under the bar. I like to position the bench perpendicular to the bar so I have something to push off at the bottom. [/quote]

I have no idea what you are trying to decsribe a set-up for? natural glute ham?