T Nation

No Food for 6 Hours

So I’m in the middle of a bulk and I have an extremely fast metabolism. Normally I need to eat every 2 to 3 hours. However because of my current health situation a couple times a week I go 6 hours without any food.

I still meet my total calories for the day, but there’s that 6 hour window of nothing. If this happens a couple times a week should I still be able to gain weight? Or will my body start to go catabolic during this time? Thanks for the help

It takes over a day without calories for your body to go catabolic. Intermittent fasting is a (somewhat) common approach to gaining mass while staying lean. While it may not be ideal for mass gains, it certainly doesn’t make you catabolic.

For your edification:

IF can assist in growth hormone production
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=1548337&ordinalpos=9&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

A study on IFing in reducing fat and increasing lean mass:

So in short, don’t sweat it. At all.

–Me

[quote]bulkNcut wrote:
I still meet my total calories for the day, but there’s that 6 hour window of nothing. If this happens a couple times a week should I still be able to gain weight?[/quote]
People have used strategic fasting, up to 12, 16, 20 hours with no food, for weight gain no prob.

As long as you are meeting your daily calories, on the “regular” days and the days with these 6 hour no-food blocks, it should be fine. The human body is generally not fragile enough that going 6 hours without food rather than 3 hours is cause for muscle catabolism.

Your body won’t start devouring your muscle just because more food doesn’t enter your body every 2 hours. From a evolution standpoint, that makes no sense. We would’ve died out long ago.

Plus, a lot of people seem to forget when they sleep they don’t eat yet their body doesn’t devour all your muscle.

Don’t you sleep? You’re going much more than 6 hours without food there everyday. What’s the problem again?

Thanks for the replies, I’ll take a look at the links you guys posted. Tomorrow will be a bit of a stretch as I have a porcedure at the hospital. I have to fast after midnight and the procedure doesn’t start until 8:30am and lasts until 12:30. Hopefully that doesn’t ruin my progress for the week but judging by what you guys have said it shouldn’t.

As others have said, it’s not a big deal. I firmly support the idea that strategic fasting potentially has significant health and body composition benefits. Of course, that’s a whole other conversation.

Above you are describing a 12 hour fast, during which you will likely be asleep for around 6 hours. If you had dinner at 6pm one night and didn’t eat again until breakfast at 6 or 7am the next day would, you really expect it to ruin your progress for the week?

Total calories and macros over extended periods are really what make the difference, IMO.