No Drinking While Eating... WTF!?

"Liquids taken during meals can dilute digestive enzymes and stomach acids and these are essential to break down the food and absorb nutrients. As it's harder to break down the food, the stomach may produce more acids, which could result in heartburn or acid reflux. This could possible put more pressure on the small intestines as well because the food is passed along from the stomach without being broken enough.

Drinking lots of water during meals can affect the insulin level in the blood. When people drink lots of water during meals, it's believed that it increases the blood sugar faster - as if we eat high glycemic index food* - and it increases insulin secretory as well. The more insulin is released, the more fat it's likely to store in the body. Because the reserve of the muscles and liver are limited, more fat is generated"

Have I wasted the last four years of my life?! Could all of us who drank massive amounts of water be the much bigger and stronger? Another article recommends not drinking for an hour before meals, and not for two hours after meals. So, for those of us who eat every 2-3 hours, we would be drinking…never! Thoughts, comments?

Because water isn’t used to help digest macronutrients at all… (sarcasm)

Don’t believe the hype!

Source? I’m interested enough to read more about it.

V

From Kevin Levrone at the levronereport.com:

“Donâ??t drink while you eat, drink 20 minutes before or 20 minutes after. Itâ??ll make a big difference in your ph level and ability to digest your Thanksgiving feast.”

[quote]JonBlood wrote:
"Liquids taken during meals can dilute digestive enzymes and stomach acids and these are essential to break down the food and absorb nutrients. As it’s harder to break down the food, the stomach may produce more acids, which could result in heartburn or acid reflux. This could possible put more pressure on the small intestines as well because the food is passed along from the stomach without being broken enough.

Drinking lots of water during meals can affect the insulin level in the blood. When people drink lots of water during meals, it's believed that it increases the blood sugar faster - as if we eat high glycemic index food* - and it increases insulin secretory as well. The more insulin is released, the more fat it's likely to store in the body. Because the reserve of the muscles and liver are limited, more fat is generated"

Have I wasted the last four years of my life?! Could all of us who drank massive amounts of water be the much bigger and stronger? Another article recommends not drinking for an hour before meals, and not for two hours after meals. So, for those of us who eat every 2-3 hours, we would be drinking…never! Thoughts, comments?[/quote]

that sounds like complete and utter horseshit.

can dilute… may produce… which could result… this could possibly… can affect…it’s believed… it’s likely…

My guess, it’s a theory which sounds right on paper, doesn’t correlate to real life, and the author used ‘uncertainty’ words so he couldn’t be called on lying when his theory falls.

ive heard this one before and it seems to be legit that you dont drink riduculus ammounts of water during your feast while it will raise the Ph value in your stochmach with and thus degrading your digestive system

But without being a doctor i would think that the problem is more that you get more prone to decease than a problem with absorbing nutrients… but dont hang me up on it !