T Nation

No Constant Tension w/ Compound Movements?

According to Thibaudeau’s Thib system part 4 article, when lifting with compound movements you shouldn’t apply constant tension and instead have a 1 sec. Pause before you lift the weight. I am confused, I mean if you have a 1 sec. pause between the stretching position and the following lifting action, then how can you not have tension at that moment? As always, I would appreciate any clarification on this matter.

Okay man, I don’t know if you’ve heard this before, but you seriously need to slow down with the threads. I just took a quick look and in the one year you’ve been here (that’s just about 52 weeks, lets remember), you’ve started nearly 60 different threads. No exaggeration. I took the time and counted.

And the majority of those, just like this thread, seem to be things you’d be able to answer yourself after a few months of consistent, dedicated lifting.

I’m not saying you’re a troll necessarily, but I’m saying that you’re overthinking things to the extreme and absolutely nothing good can come of it. Have a question about how to perform an exercise or how to deal with an injury, no prob. But hyper-analyzing things like rep speed, time under tension, or some of the other super-fine details you’ve brought up are really unnecessary.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
Okay man, I don’t know if you’ve heard this before, but you seriously need to slow down with the threads. I just took a quick look and in the one year you’ve been here (that’s just about 52 weeks, lets remember), you’ve started nearly 60 different threads. No exaggeration. I took the time and counted.

And the majority of those, just like this thread, seem to be things you’d be able to answer yourself after a few months of consistent, dedicated lifting.

I’m not saying you’re a troll necessarily, but I’m saying that you’re overthinking things to the extreme and absolutely nothing good can come of it. Have a question about how to perform an exercise or how to deal with an injury, no prob. But hyper-analyzing things like rep speed, time under tension, or some of the other super-fine details you’ve brought up are really unnecessary.[/quote]

I don’t understand, why is rep speed, time under tension, or the majority of other subjects that I have brought up on the T Nation forum considered insignificant compared to how performing a given exercise or how to deal with an injury?

Also, with all due respect, what difference does it make how many threads I post. I mean I understand that your saying that it’s because I am hyper analyzing a lot of times, but what about the fact that other members of the T Nation forum who have made thousands and thousands posts all over the forum, whereas I have made only 80 posts so far?

Thread=/=posts. If you made 60 threads like Chris said and only have 80 posts, then that must mean you’re making threads, and then not really furthering whether discussion that would have come out of those threads (assuming that people responded with anything substantial), or there wasn’t much to discuss in the first place. In which case you might have been able to find the answer with more digging because it would have been commonplace.

TUT and speed do not particularly matter for new lifters because you being able to lift 200lb on squat means you’ll be able to squat 100lb much easier, faster, and longer. Why bother doing speed work on 100lb in that case then?

And why not ask this question on the Coach’s very own section? He wrote the article; he’ll give you a lot better advice than anyone here.

[quote]Bull_Scientist wrote:
I don’t understand, why is rep speed, time under tension, or the majority of other subjects that I have brought up on the T Nation forum considered insignificant compared to how performing a given exercise or how to deal with an injury?[/quote]
In my experience, the more often someone asks relatively-basic questions, the less likely that they’re actually applying any of the information (let alone serious effort) to what they do in the gym. Lots of talk as a substitute for action.

In the last month alone, you’re started threads about: temporary elbow pain during lunges, rules/guidelines for training, training to failure during low rep sets, how to breathe, hiking, how strong bodybuilders really are, training tempo of low rep sets, and muscle tension with compound lifts.

Has any of the info you received in those threads improved your results in the gym?

For sure, the forum is literally designed for questions to be asked and answered… but… does that mean someone should start a thread on Monday “What should I have for lunch?” and then start a thread on Wednesday “What should I have for dinner” and then start a thread on Friday “What should I have for breakfast tomorrow?”

Also, like magick pointed out, you basically start threads and then ditch them, almost always without replying again. Not even the occasional “Okay, got it” or “Charlie, what do you mean when you say ‘blah, blah, blah.’” If you somehow manage to absorb all the info in one shot, that’s fine, but some back and forth is generally expected.

Just to back it up (and I know how people tend to gang up on forums), I almost responded the exact same way to another of your threads yesterday… albeit in a less explanatory way. And trust me - I’ve had my share of dud threads.

If replies include nothing but a link to an article on here, it’s a polite way of calling you lazy or throwing a bone a total newb (RampantBadger is the king of this, not calling him out or anything).

In a nutshell… have fun at this period, enjoy your gains, call your mom once in a while, and things will work themselves out.

If you are really interested in learning, I’d start with books. Supertraining by Mel Siff should be in depth enough for you. It is also not overly technical (from a medical standpoint) so a layperson can read it.

Try this approach:

I’m not saying you’re a troll necessarily, but I’m saying that you’re overthinking things to the extreme and absolutely nothing good can come of it. Have a question about how to perform an exercise or how to deal with an injury, no prob. But hyper-analyzing things like rep speed, time under tension, or some of the other super-fine details you’ve brought up are really unnecessary.[/quote]

I don’t understand, why is rep speed, time under tension, or the majority of other subjects that I have brought up on the T Nation forum considered insignificant compared to how performing a given exercise or how to deal with an injury?

Also, with all due respect, what difference does it make how many threads I post. I mean I understand that your saying that it’s because I am hyper analyzing a lot of times, but what about the fact that other members of the T Nation forum who have made thousands and thousands posts all over the forum, whereas I have made only 80 posts so far?[/quote]

It’s a troll.

I don’t understand, why is rep speed, time under tension, or the majority of other subjects that I have brought up on the T Nation forum considered insignificant compared to how performing a given exercise or how to deal with an injury?[/quote]
In my experience, the more often someone asks relatively-basic questions, the less likely that they’re actually applying any of the information (let alone serious effort) to what they do in the gym. Lots of talk as a substitute for action.

In the last month alone, you’re started threads about: temporary elbow pain during lunges, rules/guidelines for training, training to failure during low rep sets, how to breathe, hiking, how strong bodybuilders really are, training tempo of low rep sets, and muscle tension with compound lifts.

Has any of the info you received in those threads improved your results in the gym?

For sure, the forum is literally designed for questions to be asked and answered… but… does that mean someone should start a thread on Monday “What should I have for lunch?” and then start a thread on Wednesday “What should I have for dinner” and then start a thread on Friday “What should I have for breakfast tomorrow?”

Also, like magick pointed out, you basically start threads and then ditch them, almost always without replying again. Not even the occasional “Okay, got it” or “Charlie, what do you mean when you say ‘blah, blah, blah.’” If you somehow manage to absorb all the info in one shot, that’s fine, but some back and forth is generally expected.[/quote]

Well, I guess it’s true that I haven’t been applying a lot of info. I have received from the threads. However, I believe that virtually all the info. that practically all the info. that I have received from all my threads has significantly help me with having a much clearer understanding on what to do whenever I workout. I mean a while back, I used to be very uncertain if the way I was training would lead me to overtraining or some sort serious injury problem whether it be chronic, acute, or in the short-term, or in the long-term. Yet, with all amount of knowledge that I have now accumulated so far I now feel much more certain on what to do and what not to do.

Sorry about ditching my threads, I didn’t realize that I should always be replying again or at least say “okay, got it.”

Also, like magick pointed out, you basically start threads and then ditch them, almost always without replying again. Not even the occasional “Okay, got it” or “Charlie, what do you mean when you say ‘blah, blah, blah.’” If you somehow manage to absorb all the info in one shot, that’s fine, but some back and forth is generally expected.[/quote]

Well, I guess it’s true that I haven’t been applying a lot of info. I have received from the threads. However, I believe that virtually all the info. that practically all the info. that I have received from all my threads has significantly help me with having a much clearer understanding on what to do whenever I workout. I mean a while back, I used to be very uncertain if the way I was training would lead me to overtraining or some sort serious injury problem whether it be chronic, acute, or in the short-term, or in the long-term. Yet, with all amount of knowledge that I have now accumulated so far I now feel much more certain on what to do and what not to do.

Sorry about ditching my threads, I didn’t realize that I should always be replying again or at least say “okay, got it.”

[/quote]

so, when you have a face to face with someone, you just turn around and walk away without saying a word when the conversation is done? Basic politeness.

Also, if you haven’t applied any feedback, why are you asking more questions? You don’t apply what people have explained. You don’t have the basics, you ignore the basics, you walk away from a conversation and then you ask another question.

This community will help you, but right now you are showing a pattern of ignorance with the help you are getting.

Cheers