No College Degree

[quote]Broncoandy wrote:
You’re a salesman. Spin it, and sell yourself. Resume should read along the lines of “attended University X from xxxx to yyyy” or whatever and leave it vague. Have a good spin if asked, and carry on. If you can’t sell yourself to them, I’d change fields because you sir, are not qualified to sell shit.[/quote]

I like this in regards to your resume but if you have to fill out a form prior you should be putting no. I try and work around certain questions when I do things but if it’s a straight yes/no then it’s either you’ve got it or you don’t.

In general, I tend to lean towards the side of doing whatever I can to get what I need. I’ve been screwed over before when I was open, honest, and forthcoming about information and after I had already provided my 2 weeks notice I was informed I would not be hired by the new company due to them rescinding their offer hinging on that same information they were very very very well aware of. So I operate in the “well, they’d throw me under the bus in a second so I may as well do what I need to do to get mine…” Take that for what it’s worth.

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:
With 18 credits left I had to make a decision. [/quote]

Figure out a way to finish. Then you are done and have a degree. Single moms find ways to do it. There are very few excuses that could convince me you can’t find a way to finish what you started here.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:
With 18 credits left I had to make a decision. [/quote]

Figure out a way to finish. Then you are done and have a degree. Single moms find ways to do it. There are very few excuses that could convince me you can’t find a way to finish what you started here. [/quote]

This. Kind of a hassle perhaps, but the simplest, most reasonable solution and it can’t come back to bite you in the ass.

I just jumped on LinkedIn and update my profile to show my Ph.D. in Accounting. I’ll worry about earning it later.

/sarcasm

I’d suggest comparing the credits you have with the requirements for the closest matching degrees at the Regents College of the University of the State of New York.

It’s a fully accredited school, being part of the New York State University System. It exists entirely for the purpose of granting degrees (for a very reasonable evaluation fee) to those students whose total work merits a degree but where transfer problems or other reasons prevent any one school that had been attended from granting the degree. Equivalency tests will also be accepted for credit.

Finish it!!! Luckily I have a job where all you need is a highschool degree, to move up I need further education. I threw down a G stack to take a course a second time online to finish my degree. It sucks but you should always finish what you start it will lead to a sense of accomplishment and reinforce following through on your goals. I would also say that embellishments on your resume for experience and references is always a must, you are in control of that and should present it in the best way possible to get a job. Currently I just say on resumes graduating on this date in a year. I am one lame stats credit away, I am awaiting my final exam mark but I am glad I finished and I am also glad I decided to work full time and leave home. This is what adulthood presents a series of challenges and inconveniences and you must find a way to overcome and conquer.Do what you gotta do to finish and work it should be doable.

Do not lie about your degree. It might get you the job now, but what about 5 or 10 years from now when you are successful and it comes to light? Count on a feeding frenzy at your expense. Remember that a quick lie is often a joke (“Shoe’s untied. Made you look.”), but the longer it runs, the more p.o-ed people will be when they find out. Treat it more like a ticking bomb. Of course, if your job requires some expertise (like a medical degree or being a mechanic) and anything goes wrong, that means serious jail time too.

So what to do? Realize that colleges are credentialling institutions not really educational ones. They produce pieces of paper that bureaucrats (who know nothing of the subject matter) consume. So you might look at a local accredited community college or an online university to finish your degree off. Just get the piece of paper and be done with it. That is the price for entering the middle class proper now.

And don’t forget that enrolling and starting to finish can take you a while. Putting down on your resume that you are currently finishing a degree in X at the U of Y will go a long way to making people take you without a degree.

Hope this helps,

– jj