No Child Left Behind Revisited

[quote]ZEB wrote:
It’s amazing how nothing works as well as a good set of parents. It’s a shame that we have less and less of them each decade.[/quote]

Maybe it has something to do with the ‘stigma’ of having a child out of wedlock has been removed. Hence, no consequences. What’s even worse today is that the ‘stigma’ of ‘children having children’ has been removed as well.

[quote]
rainjack wrote:
School is supposed to be about learning, not passing a fucking test. NCLB should be obliterated, right along with the Dept. of Education.

nephorm wrote:
Somehow I remember something in the constitution about rights assigned to the states. It’s awfully fuzzy, though…[/quote]

You’re right. Being from Texas, I tend to think of NCLB as a “local” thing. As long as Federal money is being dumped into education, though, I think it is best to have some accountability.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
I have two kiddos, ages 12 and 14. What saddens me is that they are taught to pass a test, not to learn anything. Just pass the test. So much pressure is placed on them by their teachers that my youngest - a sixth grader - could not sleep the nights before the exams ( a two day affiar).

School is supposed to be about learning, not passing a fucking test. NCLB should be obliterated, right along with the Dept. of Education. [/quote]

APPLAUSE

[quote]ZEB wrote:
rainjack wrote:
I have two kiddos, ages 12 and 14. What saddens me is that they are taught to pass a test, not to learn anything. Just pass the test. So much pressure is placed on them by their teachers that my youngest - a sixth grader - could not sleep the nights before the exams ( a two day affiar).

School is supposed to be about learning, not passing a fucking test. NCLB should be obliterated, right along with the Dept. of Education.

APPLAUSE
[/quote]

I’ll second that!