No Carbs at Dinner ?

Intro: I’m 31, I do full body workouts 3 times a week.

My goal is to increase strenght, and I’d like to loose a few pounds (10) for the summer…

I’m experimenting ways to eat better and less: so
what about not eating carbs at dinner ? when I don’t workout of course.

it will only “work” if not eating carbs at dinner causes you to eat less calories overall, thereby creating a caloric deficit.

if you don’t eat carbs at dinner, but still end up overeating and creating a caloric surplus, you won’t lose any fat.

You know that that old saying about giving a man a fish, right?

Read some articles.

[quote]Horazio wrote:
I’m experimenting ways to eat better and less:[/quote]

So go and experiment already and base your conclusions on the results you observe. There’s really nothing to be asking. (no offense intended)

You have the right idea but this sort of thing can be difficult. If you are able to do it, then you should. Just make sure you are getting in enough total calories. I love oatmeal so what I’ve been doing is getting about 3 miles of cardio in. This way, the carbs I eat are replenishing and simply won’t add weight. It is summer so looking ripped isn’t a bad thing. Even if you’re 158 pounds.

The idea is not to eat carbs at night, just some meat, or cheese and vegetables…
Only the days I don’t work out.
I thought it could be a good idea.

[quote]esk221 wrote:
You know that that old saying about giving a man a fish, right?

Read some articles.[/quote]

Give a man fire and he will be warm for a day.

Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Oh wait.

If you want to lose body fat, yes it is a good idea not to eat carbs at night, especially if you did not train that day.

I’ve heard people say that eating carbs at night are more likely to be stored as fat.

I’ve heard just as many people say that whenever you eat them doesn’t matter because it’s all about total calories.

What makes sense to me, is that if I have a set limit of carbs I can consume in a day without getting fatter, then I’m going to eat them in the morning and mid day, so my brain can use them when it needs to. I don’t really care if I’m not alert at night, in fact, it’s better if I’m not.

That’s possibly not scientifically backed, maybe our liver stores them and releases them whenever it wants to anyway. I have no references, and relatively little understanding of how the human body processes food, but it makes sense to me. Actually, if someone knows of any studies that prove or disprove this, it would be greatly appreciated.

What I do know from personal experience, is that I feel better during the day, exercise better, sleep better, and loose more fat when I eat most of my carbs earlier in the day.

I’d pick one goal, fat loss or strength gain, the two of them are pretty hard to do at the same time(granted you are not a beginner).

its not necessarily just about creating a caloric deficit. A calorie is not a calorie… read into some of John Berardi’s articles.

From what I’ve read nutrition is both about total caloric intake and nutrient timing.

From my own point of view I can say with certainty that if I eat carbs at night I lose less weight.

I only know this because I have been monitoring weight and body fat % very closely for the last 2 months.

I’m on a high protein, low carb diet. I’ve lost 20kg and 8% body fat over the last 2 months.