No Carb No Gain?

I’ve realized over time that if I don’t increase my carb intake I dont make any gains. I’ve tried increasing protein and fats when upping my caloric intake but these lead to miniscule if any gains in weight and strength. However I seem to experience great gains both in mass and strength when I up my carb intake.

Does anyone else have this problem and any ideas as to why?

P.S Also im extremely carb tolerant. I used to eat pizza twice a week every week when i was 130lbs or so and basically didnt gain any weight at all.

[quote]almostabb wrote:
I’ve realized over time that if I don’t increase my carb intake I dont make any gains. I’ve tried increasing protein and fats when upping my caloric intake but these lead to miniscule if any gains in weight and strength. However I seem to experience great gains both in mass and strength when I up my carb intake.

Does anyone else have this problem and any ideas as to why? [/quote]

You answered your own question.

[quote]
P.S Also im extremely carb tolerant. I used to eat pizza twice a week every week when i was 130lbs or so and basically didnt gain any weight at all. [/quote]

Awesome, can you point where though? =P

Yes, I have much better gains with moderate to high carb consumption too. I don’t really see it as a problem though.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
Yes, I have much better gains with moderate to high carb consumption too. I don’t really see it as a problem though.[/quote]

Do you have any ideas as to why raising calories by raising protein and fats doesnt yield good gains? It was always recomended to me to raise calories by adding healthy fats.

when you eat carbs its alot easier to hit your calorie goal plus I get better workouts from more carbs add the two to gether you get muscle

[quote]almostabb wrote:
jsbrook wrote:
Yes, I have much better gains with moderate to high carb consumption too. I don’t really see it as a problem though.

Do you have any ideas as to why raising calories by raising protein and fats doesnt yield good gains? It was always recomended to me to raise calories by adding healthy fats. [/quote]

Didn’t you just give a newb similar advice that you are now asking questions about?

WTF? So if he listens to you the both of you are now confused. Good job!

[quote]almostabb wrote:
jsbrook wrote:

Do you have any ideas as to why raising calories by raising protein and fats doesnt yield good gains? It was always recomended to me to raise calories by adding healthy fats. [/quote]

Adding healthy fats is a good way to hit calorie goals assuming you are first getting a decent amount of carbohydrates. I don’t know the science behind it; I only know that my gains are impeded on a low-carb bulk even with adequate calories. And many others experience the same thing. It could be because insulin is anabolic and an insulin spike only PWO is not enough for optimal anabolism. But that’s just a hypothesis.

In any case, I’m not sure what your concern is. Just make sure to get enough carbs. If you’re concerned about too much fat gain, look into carb-cycling methods. CT has posted some good articles on this in the past.

Good point, but what I told that other guy was to lower his carbs instead of his fat intake because he wants to “cut” at 160lbs so that way he can slow down his bulk.

What I was asking here is why some guys seem to be able to make gains by increasing fats and protein and I cant. If I get in 500 more cals from healthy fats and protein my gains are near 0. If on the other hand most of those 500 cals come from carbs my gains are very good. Get what im saying?

[quote]almostabb wrote:
Good point, but what I told that other guy was to lower his carbs instead of his fat intake because he wants to “cut” at 160lbs so that way he can slow down his bulk.[/quote]

When someone admits someone else has a good point, that’s usually the end of the conversation. You told the dude to maintain his fats. Nothing was mentioned about good or bad fats. You just threw fats out there. Incomplete and improper advice in my opinion.

[quote]
What I was asking here is why some guys seem to be able to make gains by increasing fats and protein and I cant. If I get in 500 more cals from healthy fats and protein my gains are near 0. If on the other hand most of those 500 cals come from carbs my gains are very good. Get what im saying?[/quote]

Are you asking my opinion? If you are then I want to know if you eat the same friggin thing everyday, and the same things as these other guys you are talking about. Are you matching a diet and workout plan and comparing results with someone of similar size, strength and metabolism. I would say no.

The whole trick is to find what works for you. If you have something that works for you then who gives a fuck why something else works for others.

Stop trying to make simple shit into rocket science. You’ll only confuse yourself and other newbs.

Seriously, good luck.

[quote]MaloVerde wrote:
almostabb wrote:
Good point, but what I told that other guy was to lower his carbs instead of his fat intake because he wants to “cut” at 160lbs so that way he can slow down his bulk.

When someone admits someone else has a good point, that’s usually the end of the conversation. You told the dude to maintain his fats. Nothing was mentioned about good or bad fats. You just threw fats out there. Incomplete and improper advice in my opinion.
[/quote]

Yeah thats what I just said, to maintain his fats, where up there did i say that i had told him to maintain his healthy fats?

I don’t know what your problem is with this. But why do I care? Because I like to know things. And I’d certainly like to know why upping cals of one sort work for me while upping cals of another sort work for other people. Is that such a big deal? I don’t think so.

And to answer your question, I do eat the same things every day. And I have been eating the same things for this whole year. I do agree I can’t possibly match other guys’s diet and workout perfectly, nor would i want to. But my question was more academic than that. It was a simple quantity question. When it comes down to adding another 500cals because your progress stalls why cant I get away with making them protein/fats? Thats the question.

Im not making this into rocket science, im keeping things simple and making gains. But whats wrong with gaining some knowledge along the way?

Thanks.

EASY ANSWER,
If your gonna go LOW CARB,
make sure you get at least 1.5 to 2 g of protein per lb of LBM.

get at least 2 tbs of flax, and equivilant of 1tbs fish oil daily.

YOU NEED A HIGH CARB DAY EVERY 4th or 5th day, sometimes even 2 high carb days. anywhere from 500 to 1000g of carbs

THis is on top of you PWO shake which should be taken on training days.

have you done these methods?

[quote]Kill’Em All wrote:
EASY ANSWER,
If your gonna go LOW CARB,
make sure you get at least 1.5 to 2 g of protein per lb of LBM.

get at least 2 tbs of flax, and equivilant of 1tbs fish oil daily.

YOU NEED A HIGH CARB DAY EVERY 4th or 5th day, sometimes even 2 high carb days. anywhere from 500 to 1000g of carbs

THis is on top of you PWO shake which should be taken on training days.

have you done these methods?[/quote]

Im high carb all the time. And I get a pwo shake of 50g whey with 8oz skim milk and 50g malto/50g dextrose. Also get in around 10g of fish oil and 1g of flax.

But i think you missed the question.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
almostabb wrote:
jsbrook wrote:

Do you have any ideas as to why raising calories by raising protein and fats doesnt yield good gains? It was always recomended to me to raise calories by adding healthy fats.

Adding healthy fats is a good way to hit calorie goals assuming you are first getting a decent amount of carbohydrates. I don’t know the science behind it; I only know that my gains are impeded on a low-carb bulk even with adequate calories. And many others experience the same thing. It could be because insulin is anabolic and an insulin spike only PWO is not enough for optimal anabolism. But that’s just a hypothesis.

In any case, I’m not sure what your concern is. Just make sure to get enough carbs. If you’re concerned about too much fat gain, look into carb-cycling methods. CT has posted some good articles on this in the past. [/quote]

Completely missed your post earlier. That makes sense. I’ve looked into CT’s Carb Cycling Codex(i think its called) and gonna put that into use whenever I see im putting some fat on.