T Nation

No Carb, No Fat Candy?

Hello Everyone. I am about to embark on my first cycle of the Rapid Fat Loss Diet.

Was hoping to make a small cheat snack that I could carry around with me and have when my cravings take over.
Was planning on making carb/fat free gummy bears, found a few recipe but wanted to make sure I am not missing anything. Although the nutritional facts say no carb, i have a feeling there’s something in it to make it carb filled.

The Recipe:
Crystal Lite
Splenda
Gelatine Powder.

My only concern is the gelatine powder, do you think it has a big influence on the carbs?
Not planning on eating these all the time, but better to have a few gummy bears then a few slices of pizza.

Thanks for any help!

Sugar free Jell-o.

chocolate-flavored protein powder is pretty good from what i hear.

Better to just stick with your diet and have real cheat/refeeds planned and scheduled ahead of time. Eat some broccoli with mustard instead. That’s my opinion.

I agree with davinci. You’re going to want to stop getting used to ‘needing’ something sweet and such anyways. Hunger is a given regardless of how much frankenstein calorie free food you eat.

That being said, no, it won’t drastically impact your results even if it did have a few trace carbs. While I’m not 100% sure, I think gelatin is made from protein anyways.

Wow, a lot of reply’s so fast.

I do plan to mostly just down a small chocolate protien shake when i’m feeling snacky. The gummies gonna be for the days i hang out wiht the girlfriend and she’d downing cookies, she hates the taste protien leaves.

Thanks a lot guys!

As nice as it is to say “suck it up, just eat real diet foods,” for many people (myself included) it isn’t so easy. I’m big on the school of thought that a smart cheat on your diet can save you a lot of stress, aggravation, and calories than if you simply plan healthy low cal cheats like this.

Again, ideally you wouldn’t need these, but for most people “ideal” is nowhere near “reality.” Everyone gets nighttime cravings on a diet, why not occasionally indulge and give yourself a psychological break from the diet, if you can do so while hardly affecting your progress?

My two favorite desserts are sugarfree jello with fat free whipped cream; ~20 cals for one of those little jello cups with 2Tbl of whipped cream.

My other is protein pudding/yogurt. Go find some fat-free natural greek yogurt (the brand in my region is “Fage”) or look for icelandic skyr- both are high in protein, low in carbs.

I’ll either mix in a packet of crystal light to give it a flavored yogurt taste or some chocolate protein powder to make protein pudding. In a similar vein, FF cottage cheese, choc. Metabolic Drive, and 1-2 Tbl natty PB mixed together in a bowl makes a great reese’s peanut butter cup pudding.

Good luck with the gummy bears man, im interested to see how they work out for you.

I make protein fudge which is similar to spades protein pudding. I just mix one scoop of chocolate protein powder with 1 tbsp. peanut butter and just a little water to mix it all together. Then I freeze it. It’s pretty good.

Sugar free hard candies are nice too when you have to be around someone eating junk. They last a long time so you don’t feel so deprived.

It’s been my experience that the people who can’t suck it up and stick with their diet and planned scheduled cheats are the ones who never get truly lean. It may sound unsympathetic, but that’s been my experience.

I may not be super lean now, but i use to be at 8% bf. No big dieting, just a lot of sports, jogging and lifting, leading a very active life style.

Unfortunately now i work like a dog and in a place where my mental focus is key. Cheating a bit on dieting for a physiological feeding is defineatly worth it.

And made these gummy bears last night, total of 4 carbs for the whole batch. Not the same as gummy bears but a big step towards it. I’ll be working on the recipe more ot perfect it.

I think everyone is missing my point. I’m not saying not to cheat. I’m saying to not have them randomly thrown in there whenever you have a craving. I’m saying to have them scheduled.

I’m no authority, but I’d have to agree with Davinci. Stick with planned refeeds and planned cheat meals. It’s something to look forward to and does help with keeping your metabolism jacked. And hanging with your girl eatin’ cookies isn’t gonna help either…

Let me know how the perfected gummy bears work out for ya, they sound good.

[quote]MarvelGirl wrote:
I make protein fudge which is similar to spades protein pudding. I just mix one scoop of chocolate protein powder with 1 tbsp. peanut butter and just a little water to mix it all together. Then I freeze it. It’s pretty good.

Sugar free hard candies are nice too when you have to be around someone eating junk. They last a long time so you don’t feel so deprived.[/quote].

This is for a single serving, right? Do you mix it in a small plastic container and freeze it in that? I know I should be trying to overcome my sweet cravings but until I can locate my will power this may be just the ticket :).

Take a jar of PB, mix it with 7 scoops of protein powder and half a stick of butter. Mix it all together and put in a brownie pan and cut into your prefered size. You can add a bit of splenda if you want too. Its certainly not low fat but its perfect for the AD and its pretty good.

[quote]SirenSong61 wrote:

This is for a single serving, right? Do you mix it in a small plastic container and freeze it in that? I know I should be trying to overcome my sweet cravings but until I can locate my will power this may be just the ticket :).[/quote]

Yeah, that’s one serving. I either make it in a cereal bowl and stick it in the freezer until it’s cold or I quadruple it and pour it into a muffin tin sprayed with non-stick spray to make four peanut butter cups.

I hope it works for you. I love them and it’s basically just a protein shake with a spoonful of peanut butter.

yup. i used:

1/2 sugar free jello-packet
1 small packet of crystal lite.
3 splenda
7 gelatin envelopes
and 1/2 cup of water.

Mix all in a bowl till it is a putty, then throw on the oven at very low heat ( i go 2). mix it for about 10 minutes, pour into molds and freezer it for 5 - 10 minutes.

The recipe is a mix of a few i found on the web.

Taste good. made it 2 days ago, still got 1/2 a batch left. Been great after i eat a carb free meal as a little sweetness.

[quote]MarvelGirl wrote:

[quote]SirenSong61 wrote:

This is for a single serving, right? Do you mix it in a small plastic container and freeze it in that? I know I should be trying to overcome my sweet cravings but until I can locate my will power this may be just the ticket :).[/quote]

Yeah, that’s one serving. I either make it in a cereal bowl and stick it in the freezer until it’s cold or I quadruple it and pour it into a muffin tin sprayed with non-stick spray to make four peanut butter cups.

I hope it works for you. I love them and it’s basically just a protein shake with a spoonful of peanut butter.[/quote]
Yea, this sounds like a winner. Thanks!

Finally found a good mix after 3 attempts (all good but this one seems the best)

7 packets of gelatin (not sure the grams)
1 pack of sugar-free jello (pick a flavor)
1 - 2 packets of Crystal Lite (same flavor as jello)
1/2 cup of water.

Premix in a bowl, then place mosh into a small pot on low heat. Mix for 10 minutes, pour into molds.
Freezer them for 5 minutes, than fridge for 10.

They taste better if you let them sit for a day, but still very good same day. The flavor seems to increase if you let them sit.