No Benefit from Drinking Water

way to go team.

but i don’t think those 5 minutes really matter.

You don’t think that the evolving human body saw this one coming? Thirst is one of the most basic needs, mechanisms are in place.

Well… I’ve always heard, and I’m sure everyone has, that clear pee is a good standard for water consumption–once it’s running clear, you’re getting enough. If I get much less than a gallon a day, it’s not running clear anymore, between the supplements and sweating off so much.

[quote]tw0scoops2 wrote:
Plus most of us could probably “get by” with 50 grams of protein a day, but that wouldnt exactly promote our goals of building mass n such.[/quote]

Fine, but what does a gallon of water per day optimize exactly? Or, to put it another way, what exactly will be sub-optimal for an athlete or bodybuilder who doesn’t drink a gallon of water per day?

So, what’s the best way for a hardgainer to supplement with this stuff?

[quote]BTirish wrote:
Well… I’ve always heard, and I’m sure everyone has, that clear pee is a good standard for water consumption–once it’s running clear, you’re getting enough. If I get much less than a gallon a day, it’s not running clear anymore, between the supplements and sweating off so much.[/quote]

That’s another one of my self-gauges. If my piss is clear, I feel good about my consumption.

[quote]andersons wrote:
tw0scoops2 wrote:
Plus most of us could probably “get by” with 50 grams of protein a day, but that wouldnt exactly promote our goals of building mass n such.

Fine, but what does a gallon of water per day optimize exactly? Or, to put it another way, what exactly will be sub-optimal for an athlete or bodybuilder who doesn’t drink a gallon of water per day?

[/quote]

I do know someone young and healthy who developed a kidney stone as a direct result of dehydration and he was not even an athlete. He was just working long hours for several weeks with little sleep and not eating or drinking much. I also know a general surgeon who has seen many kidney stones in fat women after going on the Atkins diet and not drinking enough water.

Athletes need even more water than the average person. I would say it is far better to get a little too much water than not enough especially if taking creatine, stimulants, or on a high protein diet. Drink your water!

there are people i know who never drank alot fo water and when they started to they felt much healthier and didnt get sick as much. It improves alot of things.

[quote]icecold wrote:
Drink your water![/quote]

I’d rather drink a lot of water than a little. It’s extremely hard to hurt yourself by drinking large amounts of water.

And for those of you ignorant enough to bring up the woman who died of water poisoning in that radio contest, know this: she wasn’t allowed to go to the bathroom, so she had GALLONS of water in her system at the time.

I just make sure water is my primary beverage. Im sure I dont get a full gallon every day but whatever. Ive been trying to find research to back that up and havent found very much other than fitness and health forums.

For me, the water helps with digestion and just overall energy and well being. As soon as I wake up I drink 8oz of water and I feel awake. I dont need coffee or anything. Maybe its all in my head who knows but it helps. After I eat, I drink water as well because I tend to feel a little bloated if I didnt.

I think the importance of water drinking is geared more towards the fattys who drink nothing but soda and vitamin water.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
how about all the studies that show dehydration causes reduction in performance? guess those are all pointless?? get real, I’ll stick to drinking more than 8 glasses/day[/quote]

They mentioned in the article that athletes need more. That point has pretty well beeen establised.

Lonnie Lowery (who hasnt written much lately :frowning: ) wrote a nice article on this topic on this site:

http://www.T-Nation.com/article/diet_and_nutrition/precious_bodily_fluids&cr=

I think that what the article really missed was the benefit of water when you use it to displace other drinks. Ie: coke, coffee and fruit juices.

I dont think they will convince me. Not after spending my nice summer here in aus outside working in the sun.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
gi2eg wrote:
I just thought of something that’s really advanced, so prep yourselves…

drink when you’re thirsty

actually, by the time thirst signals are sent, you’re already dehydrated.

but, yes if you’re thirsty you should drink :D[/quote]

thats a mygh. do you really think your body is that stupid? i mean its like saying “when you are hungry, you are already starving, so why not eat non stop?”

[quote]BTirish wrote:
Well… I’ve always heard, and I’m sure everyone has, that clear pee is a good standard for water consumption–once it’s running clear, you’re getting enough. If I get much less than a gallon a day, it’s not running clear anymore, between the supplements and sweating off so much.[/quote]

but WHO says that? whats the explanation behind it? sources?

what a coincidence that the required amount is EXACTLY the american unit of volume? :\

Whatever. I drink a couple liters a day probably. If I drank less than 8 glasses a day, I’d be dehydrated, dead, or feeling awful the way I sweat when training hard.

Why is this even debated? Is drinking water that tiresome for anyone?

Are there definite problems with not drinking enough? Yes. Are there any problems with drinking a gallon a day? No. So drink your gallon and shuddup.

Water is calorie free so who cares if you go over your “necessary” intake.

I think the point that only a few have made and been largely drowned out is that there appears to be little to no data on the consumption of high quantities of liquids. Certainly dehydration is to be avoided, but that does not mean that we ought to be drinking gallons of water. And no matter what people say–I am opposed to doing pointless things no matter how easy they are.

I think it would be hard to consume 5000 cal a day without washing it down with at least 8 glasses a day. But then again thats me and I like to stay well hydrated

[quote]cain06 wrote:
Why is this even debated? Is drinking water that tiresome for anyone?

Are there definite problems with not drinking enough? Yes. Are there any problems with drinking a gallon a day? No. So drink your gallon and shuddup.

Water is calorie free so who cares if you go over your “necessary” intake.[/quote]

I remember a recent article saying that drinking too much can cause kidney damage. If that’s true…then I guess i can cause problems.

[quote]cain06 wrote:
Why is this even debated? Is drinking water that tiresome for anyone?[/quote]

I read a few of the posts after this specific one and I just don’t seem to follow their logic. What’s the big deal with drinking water throughout the day? It’s not pointless, as someone put it. Your body composition is 75-80% water, so why would you not want to give your body what it’s made of?

[quote]Fiction wrote:
I think the point that only a few have made and been largely drowned out is that there appears to be little to no data on the consumption of high quantities of liquids. Certainly dehydration is to be avoided, but that does not mean that we ought to be drinking gallons of water. And no matter what people say–I am opposed to doing pointless things no matter how easy they are.[/quote]

exactly