No Barbell at My Gym. Options

23YO, M, 165, 7mo’s trg experience, last 3 months off due to travelling.

The gym in my apartment doesn’t bave barbells. Any suggestions of exercises that could replace barbell squats, DL’s and cleans?

Is this sufficient or do you strongly recommend doing deadlifts and barbell sqauts? Also, is there anything that’s really great to replace the DL?

These are some lifts with big muscle groups I was thinking into incorporating into my workout

Legs:
OH dumbell squats,
lunges,
dumbell good mornings
(maybe some sort of leg press if its available)

Back:
semi-suppinated chins,
upright row
dumbell bent over row
lat pull down

Chest:
dumbell bench
decline bench
pull overs
dips

Shoulders:
standing OH press
shrugs
lateral raises
arnolds

You need to find another gym. Seriously.

you’ll be ok without the deadlifts for the time being.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
you’ll be ok without the deadlifts for the time being.[/quote]

Disagreed, but only because I like deadlifts. That said, I rarely pull off the floor. I could walk up a flight of stairs fast and my deadlift would good up. For some as long as they’re squatting heavy it goes up (me).

OP, find a new gym. Check out the local YMCA.

Find a new gym.

I mean seriously, I dont understand why people spend money on home gyms and buy some crappy weight set with a bench and some equipment, which costs about as much as at least several months worth of gym memberships.

its the gym in my condo

It would be easiest to find a new gym.

[quote]GripAndRip wrote:
The gym in my apartment doesn’t bave barbells. Any suggestions of exercises that could replace barbell squats, DL’s and cleans?[/quote]
Very important question - what’s the heaviest dumbbell that they do have available? That might put an end to the following advice right off the bat.

Dumbbell squats/deadlifts (call it what you want, holding the dumbbells at your side while squatting) are definitely an option. So are dumbbell Romanian deads (on one leg or two), Bulgarian split squats (a.k.a. rear-leg elevated lunges), and dumbbell swings.

For cleans (congrats for even considering it), you can try a power hammer curl/ugly power clean. Be sure to keep the dumbbells in the neutral/thumbs-up/hammer curl grip or you risk tweaking a shoulder. Dumbbell high pulls are another option for an explosive upper body pull.

Heavy barbell deadlifts are a creature unto themselves and like the equally-evil Freddy Krueger, they should not be impersonated or else bad, bad things will happen. (Sorry for the random analogy, I just read Billy Bob Thorton is up for the role in an Elm Street remake.)

Buy your own 300lb set and wheelbarrow it in there…

Then stop calling it a gym.

[quote]GripAndRip wrote:
its the gym in my condo[/quote]

So go to a gym outside your condo…

there is 1 reasonable response here and its Chris Colucci’s, did any of you even read the entire post?

I’m trying to get feedback about the balance of DL and back squats vs. other exercises… if those aren’t in your program it doesn’t mean you can’t train

You should also try pistol squats. They’re hard on the vmo and glutes

[quote]GripAndRip wrote:
there is 1 reasonable response here and its Chris Colucci’s, did any of you even read the entire post?

I’m trying to get feedback about the balance of DL and back squats vs. other exercises… if those aren’t in your program it doesn’t mean you can’t train[/quote]

You’re right, but you never answered Chris’s question. If they don’t have heavy enough dumbbells in your gym, you may very well need to find somewhere else to train. 50lb. bells won’t get you anywhere.