No Back Soreness with New Training

I started trying to work my back more because I felt it was lagging behind the rest of my body. However, my back does not really feel that sore besides my traps. I know just because you are not sore does not mean you are not working the muscle group but I just started focusing on my back a lot so shouldn’t my back be sore after the first few work outs?

Well what kind of program are you doing? This has been discussed alot but soreness is not always an indicator of progress.

Mine usually is, I’m really feeling it today.

Try what I do (one variation of):

• T-Bar Rows
  • CG Lat Pulldowns - Flair elbows out at the bottom of the movement so you feel it in the lats.
  • Wide Grip Seated Cable Rows
  • Machine Rows or DB Rows
  • BB Shrugs

Use 2 warmup sets, 5x5 as the main scheme, and then 2 sets of 12 reps. Obviously you’ll be using a lot more weight on the 5x5 portion.

You’ll get a mild bicep pump, along with a nice back pump.

Back is a very general term.

What do you mean by back? Lower back, mid back, or upper back?

Also, what have you been previously doing for “back”, and what have you just started doing?

Did you increase your volume? or just change exercises?

Typically you’ll have DOMS with an increase of volume

try Scott Abel’s routine

Heavy deadlifts and rows. If you’re back isn’t sore from those you aren’t lifting heavy.

Do you actually feel your back muscles working when you train back, or do you feel like your arms are doing most of the work?

What back exercises are you doing? Concentrate on working on your back with lower weights and good form and also getting a good stretch and a good squeeze.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
Do you actually feel your back muscles working when you train back, or do you feel like your arms are doing most of the work?[/quote]

This is true, I think why I like pulling exercises so much is because I have a good mind-muscle connection with them and I really feel it in my back when working it.

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
AngryVader wrote:
Do you actually feel your back muscles working when you train back, or do you feel like your arms are doing most of the work?

This is true, I think why I like pulling exercises so much is because I have a good mind-muscle connection with them and I really feel it in my back when working it.[/quote]

Same here and back to the OP’s original issue, I didn’t really notice back soreness after training back until I really learned how to make my back do the work and improved my mind-muscle connection.