No Alpha Males?

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
I didn’t realize people thought that alpha shit was real.

Always assumed it was a joke.

Humans are not pack animals. A person can be content living alone forever without needing an alphas guidance…

Fuck, the only reason we started living nearby was for food…pretty much still the only reason.[/quote]

We are not pack animals, we are however a highly social species with a dominance based hierarchy.

We just really, really do not like to be bullied which is why the most aggressive, dominant male more often than not is not the leader of the group.

We prefer our leader relatively dumb and weak.[/quote]

Amm i would prefer a strong and intelligent leader. History does too.

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

Humans are not pack animals. A person can be content living alone forever without needing an alphas guidance…

Fuck, the only reason we started living nearby was for food…pretty much still the only reason.[/quote]

We are not pack animals, we are however a highly social species with a dominance based hierarchy.

We just really, really do not like to be bullied which is why the most aggressive, dominant male more often than not is not the leader of the group.

I think the human tendency to be social is all due to nuture and convenience…habit really.

[/quote]

Sooooo… why can we read facial expressions? Are capable of empathy? Have a theory of the mind? Can lie? Are able to build alliances?[/quote]

Humans and other animals can learn to manipulate all kinds other enviornments. It is only to further our own survival not a group.

That’s how it started.

Smarter people used fear of not making it from Monday to Tuesday if they didn’t look out for the group instead of the self.

[quote]Dre the Hatchet wrote:

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]Christine wrote:

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:
This guy sounds like a pussy looking for a wordy justification. Walk in to any organization in the US and you’ll find clear lines of dominant authority.[/quote]

It sounds to me like he is saying that simply being the biggest and the strongest dosen’t necessarily insure alpha status.

Which is very true.[/quote]
I agree. I disagree that the manipulative wieners in the background become the “alpha”, however.

The smartest, most influential, most confident males will always be the leaders. There are studies showing tall males tend to rise to more prominent positions than their shorter counterparts, demonstrating an important if subliminal aspect to “traditional” alpha perception and mentality.

Under intelligent monkeys may not be able to recognize manipulation but humans do and manipulative people are often pariahs.

This guy is playing semantics, nothing genuinly intuitive in his theory at all.[/quote]

At a recent recruiting event for high potentials I noticed that literally all guys (yes, literally, I had an overview of one lecture hall with maybe 200 people) were 5’11 and above, many of the corporate big shots considerably taller.
And again, literally ALL the women were taller than average, hot in varying degrees and not A SINGLE fatty.

Coincidence?[/quote]I’ll try to link the study when on a pc. It discussed behavior and mgmt. style too.

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

I think the human tendency to be social is all due to nuture and convenience…habit really.

[/quote]

Sooooo… why can we read facial expressions? Are capable of empathy? Have a theory of the mind? Can lie? Are able to build alliances?[/quote]

Humans and other animals can learn to manipulate all kinds other enviornments. It is only to further our own survival not a group.

[/quote]

You are missing that a lot of the people in that group shared genes with you.

If you find the answer as to why chimps are able to organize raids and why baboons are not you will know why this is important :slight_smile:

[quote]orion wrote:

This explains Texas governors.

[quote]Christine wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

This explains Texas governors.
[/quote]

I think one anthropologist used it to explain exactly that.

At least one of them.

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

If you find the answer as to why chimps are able to organize raids and why baboons are not you will know why this is important :-)[/quote]

Weren’t there stories of animals that did not share dna helping each other avoid a tsunami?

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

If you find the answer as to why chimps are able to organize raids and why baboons are not you will know why this is important :-)[/quote]

Weren’t there stories of animals that did not share dna helping each other avoid a tsunami?

[/quote]

O_o

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

O_o[/quote]

Stop doing that. I associate it with CH who is adorable…and when you do it I think you are a terrible cloning experiment…also adorable.

And dolphins save people from drowning. Just saying. Too tired to think if this is relevant to anything discussed, hehe.

[quote]Raw Finn wrote:
And dolphins save people from drowning. Just saying. Too tired to think if this is relevant to anything discussed, hehe.[/quote]

I knew a man who was drowned by a dolphin.

[quote]comus3 wrote:

[quote]Raw Finn wrote:
And dolphins save people from drowning. Just saying. Too tired to think if this is relevant to anything discussed, hehe.[/quote]

I knew a man who was drowned by a dolphin. [/quote]

I knew a dolphin who was drowned by a man.

I knew a man who shot a dolphin.

There have been several recorded incidents of dolphins raping people. Flipper can go fuck himself.

[quote]spar4tee wrote:
There have been several recorded incidents of dolphins raping people. Flipper can go fuck himself.[/quote]

If he could, he would rape less.

You try to fap with fucking flippers.

I believe that the majority of socially and intellectually intelligent people do not conform to this alpha/beta bullshit.

I mean in the work place this is true as far as Job authority goes but this is forced upon us through society.

If you were to consider politics (I am English so bare with me here). I vote Democrat so Obama would be my Alpha. However I remain objective and consistently challenge all that I disagree with and compare with republican policies. This Leads me to vote for whichever party I deem to have the best policies and political views.(This is how voting should be done because it leads to an informed and intelligent decision rather than a “REPUBLICAN FUCK YEAAAAH” mindset where you are neither informed nor have a clue why you are voting other than you are conforming to your set demographic)

…Anyway because I apply logic and intelligence I switch between parties and therefore Alphas (Mccain/Obama). My Aplha I would argue would be my own mind in that I AM AN INTELLIGENT SPECIES OF ANIMAL and am able to follow logic and reason rather than a perceived and often contrived social hierarchy.

[quote]Animal Within wrote:
I believe that the majority of socially and intellectually intelligent people do not conform to this alpha/beta bullshit.

I mean in the work place this is true as far as Job authority goes but this is forced upon us through society.

If you were to consider politics (I am English so bare with me here). I vote Democrat so Obama would be my Alpha. However I remain objective and consistently challenge all that I disagree with and compare with republican policies. This Leads me to vote for whichever party I deem to have the best policies and political views.(This is how voting should be done because it leads to an informed and intelligent decision rather than a “REPUBLICAN FUCK YEAAAAH” mindset where you are neither informed nor have a clue why you are voting other than you are conforming to your set demographic)

…Anyway because I apply logic and intelligence I switch between parties and therefore Alphas (Mccain/Obama). My Aplha I would argue would be my own mind in that I AM AN INTELLIGENT SPECIES OF ANIMAL and am able to follow logic and reason rather than a perceived and often contrived social hierarchy.

[/quote]
Technically our govt serves the people not the other way around so your first point is moot.

As you mentioned, in business or any job, you do have structure with alpha/beta mentality. You feel like it’s forced on you which tells me you fill a beta role or less, which explains why you would use false logic to denounce the existence of alpha males in human social structure.

Using your work example, I can promise you that in a free market business owners and corporate executives do not feel “forced” to accept their role. Know why? They created the roles people fill below them, enticed people to sell their labor as employees and created the structure their employees are subjected too.

Go to work and challenge the rules. Challenge your boss directly too. You will leave without a job. His boss may fire him for his inability to control employees and so on, who ever is at the top of that chain of command is the alpha and this is simply fact.

I think the real confusion today is that each human is involved in multiple “packs”, even on a daily basis. You serve various roles depending on who you are with which muddies the alpha/beta water.

Look at a specific “pack” (business, team, social organization…) and you will see dominant and subservient members, no question.

The Walking Dead posse is a pretty good example of OPs thesis. Rick is not the most badass dude, but he wins the favour of the group, and they respect and follow him. Shane is the most badass Beta there ever was, could easily handle anyone in the group, and yet, no one will follow him.

Also, read some Desmond Morris. The Human Animal, and The Human Zoo. Both go into some good detail about why and to what extent we ARE pack animals, or more specifically, tribal animals.

Lol at dolphin stuff, haha.