T Nation

No Abs!

Hey i am 19 in the NAVY, i work out constantly i weigh 200 i have an ok bench 270, squat 350, and deadlift 385, and i am continuing to make nice gains and get more define except for my abs. i need help i do not understand my abs are hard, i max out on my PT tests with 118 in 2 min. i just have no definition. help me if you can

your bench numbers seem high compared to the rest.
you probably need to get stronger in deads and squats or lose more weight since youre mentioning definition. What is your bf%? what is your training like? Hows the diet?

Sounds like you need to lower your BF%. Low intensity carb-depleted A.M. cardio (before breakfast) is a good start.

Why would you care about having cut abs if your in the navy? (i.e. around dudes all of the time.)

I hear there is lots of rum in the navy. it could be that or the candy.

Cutting the carbs will help bring out the abs.

Also, more core lifting like squats and DL and OH pressing will build larger abs.

-chris

if you want abs you have to drop your bf %

1.) less calories a day (mainly watching carb intake)
2.) up your activity level
3.) draw them on w/ a sharpie
4.) check your diet

those are my FOUR cents.

Heavy weighted situps might help. Some people just don’t have the right genetics for defined abs because the tendons that make the “six-pack” just aren’t there, it’s just one big slap of muscle without separation. I have a friend like this. Abs are mostly related to a low bodyfat percentage though and that will be the most likely way to get them cut.

heavy weighted sit ups might also make your lumbar spine explode.

your call

6 pack or your back

i know my choice :wink:

[quote]dpower wrote:
you probably need to get stronger in deads and squats or lose more weight since youre mentioning definition. What is your bf%? what is your training like? Hows the diet?[/quote]

How is a 270 bench high compared to a 350 Squat?

You need more muscle, which will lower your bf, or you need to lose fat.

You need to workout more intensely to the point where your stimulating muscle growth and/or fat loss. You can also play around with your diet.

[quote]Big Aristotle wrote:
Sounds like you need to lower your BF%. Low intensity carb-depleted A.M. cardio (before breakfast) is a good start.

Why would you care about having cut abs if your in the navy? (i.e. around dudes all of the time.)

[/quote]

i am an air traffic controller and i live in an all female barracks except for about 100 guys. i aint on a ship

[quote]dpower wrote:
you probably need to get stronger in deads and squats or lose more weight since youre mentioning definition. What is your bf%? what is your training like? Hows the diet?[/quote]

my body fat is 16%, my training is a 2.5 to 3 mile run mon tues thur, on monday i work chest, tuesday is back, thur is shoulders, fri is legs, and sat is is tries and bis. i throw in a light chest on thur and sat and work abs everyday. my diet is a light breakfast 1 egg 2 pieces of bacon and a banana every day, apple between lunch which is a chicken salad everyday, and dinner is a protein shake with a chicken salad and usually a chicken on wheat or red meat.

im guessing 16% is probably a bit too high to have much definition in the abs.
this is what 12% looks like on Dave Tate and hes a pretty strong dude

Thats not Tate at 12%.

It varies greatly from person to person, I carry most of my fat on love handles and thighs. I can show my abs at a higher % than most people just because of how fat is distributed.

[quote]Avocado wrote:
I hear there is lots of rum in the navy. it could be that or the candy.

Cutting the carbs will help bring out the abs.

Also, more core lifting like squats and DL and OH pressing will build larger abs.

-chris[/quote]

i only squat and dead one day a week would you suggest more? i read that squatting and dead lifts more than one day a week is bad idk how true it is but thats what i do

[quote]dpower wrote:

dude i have worked pretty damn hard to get my bench up to their. i lost alot of strength in boot camp, 50 pounds off my bench i went from 235 to 185, but i also lost alot of weight. i got it up to 270 but my goal is 300 for now then go from their and see what happens

[quote]sailortom wrote:

my body fat is 16%, my training is a 2.5 to 3 mile run mon tues thur, on monday i work chest, tuesday is back, thur is shoulders, fri is legs, and sat is is tries and bis. i throw in a light chest on thur and sat and work abs everyday. my diet is a light breakfast 1 egg 2 pieces of bacon and a banana every day, apple between lunch which is a chicken salad everyday, and dinner is a protein shake with a chicken salad and usually a chicken on wheat or red meat.[/quote]

Your body fat is simply too high for you to see your abs. I’m at about 15% and I can’t really see mine either.(but can feel the separation of them under the fat). Once you get down to 10% they’ll show.

There are some good ab’s exercises in this article and the posts in the discussion section are pretty good.

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article//death_to_crunching

Some good exercises are hanging knee raises, planks, pushups with one leg up and out to the side, and doing squats holding a 25lb plate straight out arms fully extended.

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:
sailortom wrote:

my body fat is 16%, my training is a 2.5 to 3 mile run mon tues thur, on monday i work chest, tuesday is back, thur is shoulders, fri is legs, and sat is is tries and bis. i throw in a light chest on thur and sat and work abs everyday. my diet is a light breakfast 1 egg 2 pieces of bacon and a banana every day, apple between lunch which is a chicken salad everyday, and dinner is a protein shake with a chicken salad and usually a chicken on wheat or red meat.

Your body fat is simply too high for you to see your abs. I’m at about 15% and I can’t really see mine either.(but can feel the separation of them under the fat). Once you get down to 10% they’ll show.

There are some good ab’s exercises in this article and the posts in the discussion section are pretty good.

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article//death_to_crunching

Some good exercises are hanging knee raises, planks, pushups with one leg up and out to the side, and doing squats holding a 25lb plate straight out arms fully extended.[/quote]
what are planks are they the same as bridges or are they different

[quote]sailortom wrote:

what are planks are they the same as bridges or are they different
[/quote]

They’re different than traditional bridges but I think I’m seen them referred to as prone bridges before, but I’m not 100%. The site below explains them good or you can search for it on youtube.

1. Lie face down on mat resting on the forearms, palms flat on the floor.
  2. Push off the floor, raising up onto toes and resting on the elbows.
  3. Keep your back flat, in a straight line from head to heels.
  4. Tilt your pelvis and contract your abdominals to prevent your rear end from sticking up in the air.
  5. Hold for 20 to 60 seconds, lower and repeat for 3-5 reps

[quote]B rocK wrote:
if you want abs you have to drop your bf %

1.) less calories a day (mainly watching carb intake)
2.) up your activity level
3.) draw them on w/ a sharpie
4.) check your diet

those are my FOUR cents.[/quote]

nuf said

[quote]sailortom wrote:
Big Aristotle wrote:

i am an air traffic controller and i live in an all female barracks except for about 100 guys. i aint on a ship[/quote]

good answer

[quote]Big Aristotle wrote:
sailortom wrote:
Big Aristotle wrote:

i am an air traffic controller and i live in an all female barracks except for about 100 guys. i aint on a ship

good answer[/quote]

hey i aint gay thats all their is to it, and navy girls usually dont look too bad cause they are always workin out