T Nation

No Ab Activation with Farmer Carries

I am doing a hypertrophy exercise (45 secs then 1 min rest period) carring 18kg (39.68lbs) and still not getting my main abdominal to kick in. I am doing everything, breathing, tucking in my main abdominal, still nothing! I just don’t know if I am doing anything right/wrong, including other basic main ab exercises I can do without resistant bands. I just want a bit more help so I know exactly what to do and some tips as well.

It’s not heavy enough. Put your bodyweight in each hand. Use lifting straps. You will feel everything in your body “kick in”

Sorry I meant to say I am currently carrying 14kg while doing the suitcase version. That was a typo on my behalf. I don’t have any straps to use or anything. I am home lifting and also a natural lifter too and eating about 5,000 to 6,000kj as well. I am not sure if that is effecting it too cause I am eating well and a big health nut as well and also eating the occasional fish and chips too from the fish market. I don’t know if that effects that as well cause that occasional thing has no added anything and all real stuff. Sorry if the food stuff seems a bit redundent but I am doing the best I can. And plus I am a female as well so I am not sure if that is going to change much. I just want to meet my goal is all. :blush:

Try zercher carries or front rack carries

I wish. I only have Dumbells. I tried to it with dumbells but since both bars were off by a few cm, the whole thing just kept tumbling down cause of how much weight it couldn’t handle and if you want to know what type, you have to screw them on with a large bolt but even that I struggled with. So that sucks. Sorry if I am not helpful :sweat_smile:

Farmers walks can be strange in that regard. Your abs are working even if it doesn’t “feel” like you think it should.

Sucks you can’t do Zerchers as they are the one farmers walk that simply exhausts my core.

Like I am tighting my main abdominals to the best of my ability including glutes and back. My legs are think but muscular at the back of them, arms are over 70% toned and obleques are roughly just under 50% toned. As a female it sucks cause it feels like I have to work my ass off and go as heavy as possible, and I understand that females have 2/3rds less testostrones than your average male but can get more of the benefits during their menstrual cycle. I am doing way more work on my menstrual cycle. I am pushing and pushing trying to get results… It’s just so frustrating for me. But I am hoping the regular carriers will help me as soon as I get more weights from my local retailer. And hopefully de-stress a bit more. But thanks mates.

Well rest assured your abdominals are working when you do these. You might not feel them like you would a Swiss ball crunch or a zercher carry but they are working.

You could also try simulating a zercher by holding your heaviest dB horizontally in front of your upper chest. I haven’t tried this before but may be worth a try.

Thanks mate. I will. Sorry about before, I just want to get the results I please. I am doing everything it’s just nothing I do is working. Bit thanks again anyways. :blush: