T Nation

NK Missile Warhead Found in Alaska

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/nation/200303/kt2003030417272311970.htm

By Ryu Jin
Staff Reporter

The warhead of a long-range missile test-fired by North Korea was found in the U.S. state of Alaska, a report to the National Assembly revealed yesterday.

According to a U.S. document, the last piece of a missile warhead fired by North Korea was found in Alaska,?? former Japanese foreign minister Taro Nakayama was quoted as saying in the report.Washington, as well as Tokyo, has so far underrated Pyongyang?s missile capabilities.??

The report was the culmination of monthlong activities of the Assembly?s overseas delegation to five countries over the North Korean nuclear crisis. The Assembly dispatched groups of lawmakers to the United States, Japan, China, Russia and European Union last month to collect information and opinions on the international issue.

The team sent to Japan, headed by Rep. Kim Hak-won of the United Liberal Democrats, reported, Nakayama said Washington has come to put more emphasis on trilateral cooperation between South Korea, Japan and the United States since it recognized that the three countries are within the range of North Korean missiles.??

According to the group dispatched to the U.S., American politicians had a wide range of opinions over the resolution of the nuclear issue, from a peaceful resolution?? tomilitary response.??

Doves, such as Rep. Edward J. Markey, a Massachusetts Democrat and co-chairman of the Bipartisan Task Force on Nonproliferation, called for a peaceful settlement of the current confrontation, by offering food, energy and other humanitarian aid to the poverty-stricken country, while urging the North to give up its nuclear ambitions.

Rep. Markey also said the North should return to the nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty and the U.S. should make a nonaggression pact with the communist North.

Hardliners, however, warned that the North?s possession of nuclear weapons will instigate a nuclear race in the region, provoking Japan to also acquire nuclear weapons. Rep. Mark Steven Kirk, an Illinois Republican, said the U.S. might have to bomb the Yongbyon nuclear complex should the North try to export its nuclear material to other countries.

Over the controversy concerning the withdrawal of U.S. forces stationed here, most American legislators that the parliamentary delegation met said U.S. troops should stay on the peninsula as long as the Korean people want, the report said.

jinryu@koreatimes.co.kr

03-04-2003 17:27

You've got to learn to read faster.

That article is over 2 years old.

Worse, there seems to be no other independent source confirming that news. Every other source that talked about that warhead cited the Korea Times as the source... The mentioned "U.S. Documents" from which the news is taken are apparently only avaible for a staff writer of the Korea Times. Odd, no?

Yes I know it's a two year old article, but do you remember our news media covering it?

Okay, did the "warhead" fly there or was it floating along after falling into the ocean thousands of miles away?

I mean really, if there was anything to this, don't you think the media would have loved to prey upon the fears of the populace with this?

I think they aren't covering it because of the complete lack of evidence and it looks like a fabrication.

Don't you think that if the media covered it we would've been forced to do something about it? It could have escalated into a nasty war, perhaps even WW3...

Wow... your posts are beginning to look more and more paranoid all the time. So what's the conspiracy cover-up this time?

So now you are saying that the vast liberal conspiracy media bowed to pressure from the administration to not stir up fear in the populace?

Dammit, does this mean there is a vast right wing conspiracy media instead... I'm so confused.

It is a pretty vast conspiracy if it encompasses both the right and left wing!

In fact it is so vast everyone is in on it but jlesk.

I'm telling you guys - this kid is JTF's illegitimate love child.

Truth means nothing to him if it gets in the way of his tin-foil-hat.

It's the vast Right Wing Conspiracy that influenced the vast Liberal Media not to print the story so that the vast population would not get vastly upset.

I think this warhead could be one of those pods that the Martians buried and are going to use to overtake the world. I saw a movie about it, they are going to ride lighting bolts from space right into the ground. MI-6 and the CIA know all about it. They are going to blame the Muslims to divert attention from the Martians.

No. But instead of some big cover-up, have you considered that maybe they checked the story and it turned out to be false?

Sometimes the simple explanation is the right one.

That can't be. Bush and his guys are all freakin "Nuk 'em till they glow" warhawks. They would love to go to war. I'm suprised that they didn't force the story on the air.

So to me - it seems that is is a left wing conspiracy to allow the NK's to attack us at will.

If you check Google news, the story was pretty widely reported (always attributed to the Korea Times though; they seem to have an exclusivity on those secret U.S. documents...) It's been mentioned on many blogs and on all the conspiracy sites.

If the media had been able to report it, they would have. They're in business to get viewers and readers and that kind of news sure does. The problem is that if they report all the crap that gets printed as "news" across the planet without fact checking, they lose credibility. And when credibility goes, so do the viewers and readers. So unless you're the Weekly World News or The National Enquirer, where credibility is actually a handicap, you don't report it if it's not true.

SHHHH! Damn it, Zap! You have violated the blood oath of the Freemasons and gave it all away! You do realize there will be serious repercussions for your insolence.

Brothers vroom and rainjack shall administer your punishment.

Hell, I don't worry about those two. They couldn't decide which one would hold me and which one would hit me.

so OK, the article is 2 years old...Did I miss how long it's been in Alaska? Meaning has it been there for years before being found?

Dudes, come on, THINK. You just need to get that ESP girl from jlesk's last post to figure out how many nukes NK has! Then she can cast the imperius spell on Kim Jong Il and make him dispose of them all!

I put on MY thinking cap this morning!

I saw that Jimmy Neutron movie too.

Don't count on it... Rainjack is bigger than me so I simply defer to his judgment on such matters.