Nintendo Wii

[quote]pookie wrote:

I noticed the same effect with some movies. For example, I have fond childhood memories E.T. and Close Encounters of the Third Kind. But when I watched them again recently, I found them overly long and rather boring.
[/quote]

I got the same effect watching Goonies damn near 20 years later. Because of that, I may never watch it again and will just live off of the memory. This must have been what Adam and Eve felt like after returning to the garden of Eden after visiting the tree. After watching the digital cable deluxe package, how do you go back to regular television?

Being human sucks.

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
I am thinking of getting one of these for my little bro for christmas. Is it anticipated to be as difficult to get as the PS3?[/quote]

Good idea. Wii is not only for kids. Look at some of the titles coming out in the near future. Even GTA4 is rumored to come out, too early to tell though. Also, many game companies have expressed their full support to the Wii, for example Ubisoft, with games such as Splinter Cell, which I wouldnt qualify as a kids game at all.

No it should be easier to get than the PS3. There are 400,000 PS3s at launch worldwide compared to 4,000,000 Wiis. I went to my local Walmart the other day and they will just open their doors at 8AM, no lineups, preorders or nothing like that. They do this for the PS3 also. Interesting though, they had a whole empty section in the store reserved for the Wii but nothing for the PS3, probably because its going to sell within minutes so why bother with the display.

Still though, I will be at my Walmart at 7:30-8:00 AM on Nov. 19, to make sure I get one and also because I cant wait to get my hands on one. There is also a BestBuy close but I wont go there because it is downtown and very popular and I might run into some big crowds and risk not ending up with one.

Plus I like the idea of rushing in the store instead of picking a number and waiting in line. Man, I cant wait.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
pookie wrote:
beebuddy wrote:
This systems biggest attraction is the old-school games IMO. I think that’s gonna be sweeeeet!

It’s quite fun at first, but it tend to get old rather quickly.

Somehow, those old games often are more fun in your memories of them than when you play them again.

They’re great if you have young kids, though.

Good point…and one most won’t figure out until they have bought the system. I bought Mega Man about a year ago just for nostalgia. I thought I would have fun playing it again on the PS2. I don’t think I’ve played it since I bought it. The game just looks dull, too repetitive and mind numbing. I can’t believe I spent hours on that as a kid.

Many of these games stick in our heads because we grew up with them…but after playing the new generation of games, going back to them isn’t as special as it was when you were in the 6th grade.[/quote]

Xbox Live Arcade is gives the same effect. Luckily you can download demos before you purchase. So far I purchased Street Fighter 2, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 and Contra.

[quote]grew7 wrote:
From 2007 onward, aren’t they going to be adding one game every three days? The prices have been revealed, too. What else is there to know?[/quote]

There is no start date for the online service yet. WHEN it does start games will come out regulary though.

Yeah, the Wii isn’t as technologically advanced as the others, but it has some sick games. I think it will be best for multiplayer, with games like Wii Sports using the Nunchucks (motion sensor controllers). If you liked Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess is supposed to be like that, except revamped and with over 70 HOURS OF GAMETIME!

That’s if you’re a hardcore gamer too. And apparently there are some darker, more mature games too. The Wii is gonna be big.

[quote]PGA wrote:
Xbox Live Arcade is gives the same effect. Luckily you can download demos before you purchase. So far I purchased Street Fighter 2, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 and Contra.[/quote]

At least they have games like Geometry Wars that combine old-school “reflex shooting” with new-gen eye candy.

There’s one coming for the PS3 called Flow (I think) that looks pretty interesting. Not a deal-maker, but probably cool if you’re getting the PS3 anyway.

[quote]veruvius wrote:
Yeah, the Wii isn’t as technologically advanced as the others, but it has some sick games.[/quote]

Well the GameCube version of Resident Evil is probably the best version of that game available on any console, so it’s not a matter of Nintendo being Nintendo.

I’m not sure why everyone wants their favorite console to “win.” I’d rather see all 3 do well, giving us gamers more choice, and more games.

And, face it, not everyone enjoys the same types of games, so with each console carving out a few niches, you get to pick the one that works for you.

[quote]pookie wrote:
veruvius wrote:

I’m not sure why everyone wants their favorite console to “win.” I’d rather see all 3 do well, giving us gamers more choice, and more games.

[/quote]

I understand that competition benefits the consumer, but there’s a big part of me that wishes there was only one platform. Having three basically redundant machines with different content is horrible for the consumer.

There’s no way in hell that I’m going to cough up $1250 for all three consoles, so that means there’s going to be at least a couple of good games a generation that I’m just not going to get to play. I hate having to worry about whether I’m going to want to play Halo, God of War, or Zelda for the next 4 years. I shouldn’t have to make that choice.

I shouldn’t be locked out of software content because I have the wrong brand of hardware. When buying a DVD player, I don’t have to worry about whether or not the next DVD I want to buy is only going to work on Panasonic DVD players. I don’t really see how this is any different.

I really like the idea of the controller and think it will be great for games such as Zelda and Metroid. But we’ll see.

Also, Resident Evil 4 on Gamecube was an adult game, and it wasn’t ugly at all. :slight_smile:

And another reason the graphics won’t bother me quite so much is that I don’t have an HDTV so there’s not going to be that big of a difference.

Wii is 480p, 360 is 780p and PS3 is 1080p. So if you’re going strictly for graphics on your HDTV, go with the PS3…

Personally, Playstation games have never impressed me much aside from a game here and there.

[quote]nramaker wrote:
I’ll give it credit for what it is: different. It’s a new idea. It’s a clever gimmick that will probably sell a bunch of console to a couple people that wouldn’t buy something like a PS3.

I won’t be buying one for several reasons.
–Firstly, it’s a rip off. The system is literally an overclocked Gamecube with a weird controller. I can buy a used Gamecube for $40, what is this thing doing at $250?

–Secondly, I think the waggle gimmick will get old very very quickly. I like to flop on the couch, have a beer or six, and play some madden. It seems like it’d be a chore to sit in front of the sensors with perfect posture and flap my arms around in perfect rythum just to play a videogame.

The waggle thingy also seems much more suited to mini games like whack-a-mole, Wario Ware type games rather than shooters and action games. Mini games are fun, but they’re mini for a reason. Everything I’ve seen so far is “LOOK! It’s a tennis racket!” or “LOOK! It’s a fishing pole!” Does anyone really play those types of game for more than 15 minutes?

–Lastly, Nintendo just doesn’t make games I want to play. They have Zelda and Metroid. For an adult, that’s it. They created no new adult franchises with the GameCube, all they did is put Mario in a ton of kiddie sports games. I need more than that.

As far as third parties go, it’ll get the “ugly” version of every multiplatform game out there, and it’ll probably get a lot of ports from third party crap from last generation, just like the DS gets.[/quote]

[quote]nramaker wrote:
There’s no way in hell that I’m going to cough up $1250 for all three consoles, so that means there’s going to be at least a couple of good games a generation that I’m just not going to get to play. I hate having to worry about whether I’m going to want to play Halo, God of War, or Zelda for the next 4 years. I shouldn’t have to make that choice.
[/quote]

Did you know that Microsoft loses money on every 360 they sell? If they were the only company that made a console system do you think they’d be losing money on each system?

Hell no they wouldn’t, they’d be making a “small” profit on each system.

[quote]nramaker wrote:
I shouldn’t be locked out of software content because I have the wrong brand of hardware. When buying a DVD player, I don’t have to worry about whether or not the next DVD I want to buy is only going to work on Panasonic DVD players. I don’t really see how this is any different.
[/quote]

Well, it won’t go buy the brand of your DVD player but it may go buy the company who prodcues the movie. Check out the whole Blu-Ray v. HD-DVD controversy.

pookie wrote:
beebuddy wrote:
This systems biggest attraction is the old-school games IMO. I think that’s gonna be sweeeeet!

It’s quite fun at first, but it tend to get old rather quickly.

Somehow, those old games often are more fun in your memories of them than when you play them again.

They’re great if you have young kids, though.

Good point…and one most won’t figure out until they have bought the system. I bought Mega Man about a year ago just for nostalgia. I thought I would have fun playing it again on the PS2. I don’t think I’ve played it since I bought it. The game just looks dull, too repetitive and mind numbing. I can’t believe I spent hours on that as a kid.

Many of these games stick in our heads because we grew up with them…but after playing the new generation of games, going back to them isn’t as special as it was when you were in the 6th grade.[/quote]

Not true, I was dating a girl in college whose parents hid her old nintendo and all the games in her stuff when she moved.

I spent a whole day playing the original legend of zelda just so I could beat the game.

All the more impressive because as a kid I never could beat that damn thing. Think of it as revenge.

[quote]JokerFMJ wrote:

Did you know that Microsoft loses money on every 360 they sell? If they were the only company that made a console system do you think they’d be losing money on each system?

Hell no they wouldn’t, they’d be making a “small” profit on each system.[/quote]

True, they’d no longer sell the hardware at a loss, but they wouldn’t be able to gouge me because I would no longer need Microsoft hardware to play Halo 3. It wouldn’t matter if it said Microsoft, Sony, Pioneer, or Samsung on my console.

Also, I’d be willing to pay more for a console that I knew would play every videogame released for the next 5 years.

If people have to worry about their kid’s Disney movies not working on the same machine as their Dad’s action movies and their Mom’s chick flicks, consumers will reject it. Either one format will die, or a machine will come out that plays both formats. The only place where this sort of retarded content division is accepted is in videogames.

[quote]CU AeroStallion wrote:

Not true, I was dating a girl in college whose parents hid her old nintendo and all the games in her stuff when she moved.

I spent a whole day playing the original legend of zelda just so I could beat the game.

All the more impressive because as a kid I never could beat that damn thing. Think of it as revenge.[/quote]

Yeah…I sometimes go to junior high schools during my lunch break just so I can play dodge ball. Kids sure do cry a lot these days.

I feel the PC is still the best gaming system around. Although it may be slightly behind in graphics of the latest generation consoles, it never takes long to catch up and surpass(far surpass usually), and the multiplayer capabilities are astounding.

For first-person shooter and real time strategy games, there is no comparison. For sports games though…consoles win hands down, that goes the same for fighting and sports games as well.

Yeah…I sometimes go to junior high schools during my lunch break just so I can play dodge ball. Kids sure do cry a lot these days.[/quote]

Bullshit, you go for the girls.

Argh, I just got into a debate with a friend of mine Sony v. Nintendo. This person is apparently worshiping at the cult of Nintendo. I attempted to suggest gamecube sucked balls (RE4 and a couple others are exceptions). PS2 owned Gamecube and was in-turn owned by X-Box. Don’t get me started on N64 versus the original playstation.

Anyway, I hope the Wii rocks.

For all the Wii and Zelda fans

[quote]jarvis wrote:
I plan on getting a wii over a ps3 or a 360. I’ve heard however that it is not really a next-gen console, rather a re-vamped gamecube with a little extra ram and an interesting control system. If you compare screens for Zelda: Twilight Princess on both systems you’ll see what I mean.
[/quote]

Think about it: who the hell owns a 3000$ pioneer 5.1 sound system, and a true HDTV of 2048xsomething resolution that’s 55" to take advantage of the PS3 and XboX anyway?

Although i’m all for the PS3, i clearly see that nintendo realises about 3/4 of bugger all of the population has even SEEN a true HDTV. Something tells me the wii is going to be nintendos first non-fuckup in a while =D

[quote]nramaker wrote:
There’s no way in hell that I’m going to cough up $1250 for all three consoles, so that means there’s going to be at least a couple of good games a generation that I’m just not going to get to play.[/quote]

If you buy them new at launch, you’ll spend a lot.

If you wait a year or two, you’ll be able to get them of ebay or craigslist for a fraction of the cost.

I was eyeing a PS2 with Gran Turismo 4 on ebay, and could get that for less than 100$ pretty easily… I got one off my Xbox of ebay for 150$ CDN with 6 games and shipping included.

It’s only expensive if you’re not able to wait.

I’ll bet you that in about 18 months, you’ll be able to get all 3 new-gen consoles off ebay for about 600$-700$, a price similar to that of the high-end PS3 at launch later this week.

Meanwhile, to tide you over while you wait, you could get a PS2, an Xbox and a GameCube, all for less than 100$ each. For a total of about 300$, you’d get to experience all the last gen’s platforms.

[quote]BackInAction wrote:
For all the Wii and Zelda fans
- YouTube [/quote]

Cool clip. I have an HDTV 1080i, never played Zelda and I will still be buying the Wii with Zelda on launch day. I read that Zelda has gametime of 70+ hours. I will try to get a hold of component cables which will give me a resolution of 480p, not as impressive as PS3 but its not all about the graphics for me, gameplay is #1. I think the best move if youre thinking about buying a PS3 is to wait at least 1 year.