T Nation

Nintendo Wii

I am thinking of getting one of these for my little bro for christmas. Is it anticipated to be as difficult to get as the PS3?

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
I am thinking of getting one of these for my little bro for christmas. Is it anticipated to be as difficult to get as the PS3?[/quote]

Only if you’re Cartman.

-Nate

The ps3 will be in way more demand than the wii but its going to still be hard to get one without a preorder for a reasonable price.

Preorders are sold out. Best bet is to try at Bestbuy, Circuit City, Wal-Mart etc the day it launches. Probably have to get there early as hell. Chances of finding one sitting on the shelves is next to none.

[quote]Nate Green wrote:
beebuddy wrote:
I am thinking of getting one of these for my little bro for christmas. Is it anticipated to be as difficult to get as the PS3?

Only if you’re Cartman.

-Nate[/quote]

Must’ve missed that one. :slight_smile:

I suppose preorder is the way to go these days with any popular tech-stuff.

This systems biggest attraction is the old-school games IMO. I think that’s gonna be sweeeeet!

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
This systems biggest attraction is the old-school games IMO. I think that’s gonna be sweeeeet![/quote]

They still havent announced the specifics of it so its still quite a ways off. Thats the only thing that would make me get that system. Sure I can download the games now but its nice to play them on the TV.

[quote]PGA wrote:
beebuddy wrote:
This systems biggest attraction is the old-school games IMO. I think that’s gonna be sweeeeet!

They still havent announced the specifics of it so its still quite a ways off. Thats the only thing that would make me get that system. Sure I can download the games now but its nice to play them on the TV.[/quote]

That’s one awesome thing, I think this will be a good system for the younger crowd though too. The PS3 and 360 are basically for those of us that grew up with NES and most of it is more appropriate for our age group. It seems like Nintendo has never really ceased marketing to kids, which is cool in a way.

Thing to consider $250 for a wii vs. $600 PS3.

I wish I could sell my wii for $50 let alone $250. Pimpin’ ain’t easy…

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
This systems biggest attraction is the old-school games IMO. I think that’s gonna be sweeeeet![/quote]

It’s quite fun at first, but it tend to get old rather quickly.

Somehow, those old games often are more fun in your memories of them than when you play them again.

They’re great if you have young kids, though.

When is Wii released in the US?

regards,
Jacob

[quote]Nate Green wrote:

Only if you’re Cartman.

-Nate[/quote]

Those were the two of the funniest episodes I’ve seen lately. “Yeah, I’m a monkey! Give the monkey what she wants!”

November 19th.

I think the most exciting thing about the Wii is the different motion controllers (nunchucks, swords, fishing pole, etc…).

Also, being backwards compatible with GameCube games is another huge plus for me.

Not to mention the new Zelda.

[quote]pookie wrote:
beebuddy wrote:

It’s quite fun at first, but it tend to get old rather quickly.

Somehow, those old games often are more fun in your memories of them than when you play them again.

They’re great if you have young kids, though.
[/quote]

Good point…and one most won’t figure out until they have bought the system. I bought Mega Man about a year ago just for nostalgia. I thought I would have fun playing it again on the PS2. I don’t think I’ve played it since I bought it. The game just looks dull, too repetitive and mind numbing. I can’t believe I spent hours on that as a kid.

Many of these games stick in our heads because we grew up with them…but after playing the new generation of games, going back to them isn’t as special as it was when you were in the 6th grade.

i dont know about you, but i am buying the Wii just to play the damn new Zelda!!

The Wii is so cheap that I wouldn’t mind buying it even if Nintendo was the only developer for it. I love most of Nintendo’s games. Plus, there were a ton of SNES games that I never played. The VC is a huge bonus to me.

From 2007 onward, aren’t they going to be adding one game every three days? The prices have been revealed, too. What else is there to know?

I plan on getting a wii over a ps3 or a 360. I’ve heard however that it is not really a next-gen console, rather a re-vamped gamecube with a little extra ram and an interesting control system. If you compare screens for Zelda: Twilight Princess on both systems you’ll see what I mean.

Nonetheless, Nintendo’s in house development seems to be light years ahead of the competition as far as originality is concerned, the success of the DS over the PSP has also demonstrated that the general public appreciates that. Let’s not forget that Nintendo invented vibrating controllers, analog sticks and games with save points.

Interesting fact: Nintendo has been around since 1889.

[quote]jarvis wrote:
Let’s not forget that Nintendo invented vibrating controllers, analog sticks and games with save points.[/quote]

Analog sticks? Erm, my friend’s Atari 5200 had analog sticks in the early 80s. They were non-centering pieces of shit, but they were analog. Nintendo hadn’t even introduced their NES at that point…

As for save points, can such an obvious idea say to have been “invented?”

I remember playing Tempest at the arcade when I was young; and after inserting your quarter, you could select to start at a more advanced stage in the game in exchange for a higher starting score. Not exactly a save point, in that it wasn’t getting your exact game back; but it was quite similar.

And Tempest predates any Nintendo machine. Save points became an obvious thing to do once the hardware to support it (non-volatile RAM) became cheap enough to put in a cartridge or sell as a memory card.

By the way, Tempest also used an analog control. It wasn’t a stick, but it was still analog.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Good point…and one most won’t figure out until they have bought the system. I bought Mega Man about a year ago just for nostalgia. I thought I would have fun playing it again on the PS2.[/quote]

I made the same mistake with “Sonic Mega Collection.” The little blue hedgehog is a lot more fun in my memories of him than when I play him again.

At one time, those games where state-of-the-art. There wasn’t any alternative.

While my kids enjoyed playing those old games, they haven’t asked to play a single one of them since they got their hands on Lego Star Wars.

I noticed the same effect with some movies. For example, I have fond childhood memories E.T. and Close Encounters of the Third Kind. But when I watched them again recently, I found them overly long and rather boring.

I’ll give it credit for what it is: different. It’s a new idea. It’s a clever gimmick that will probably sell a bunch of console to a couple people that wouldn’t buy something like a PS3.

I won’t be buying one for several reasons.
–Firstly, it’s a rip off. The system is literally an overclocked Gamecube with a weird controller. I can buy a used Gamecube for $40, what is this thing doing at $250?

–Secondly, I think the waggle gimmick will get old very very quickly. I like to flop on the couch, have a beer or six, and play some madden. It seems like it’d be a chore to sit in front of the sensors with perfect posture and flap my arms around in perfect rythum just to play a videogame.

The waggle thingy also seems much more suited to mini games like whack-a-mole, Wario Ware type games rather than shooters and action games. Mini games are fun, but they’re mini for a reason. Everything I’ve seen so far is “LOOK! It’s a tennis racket!” or “LOOK! It’s a fishing pole!” Does anyone really play those types of game for more than 15 minutes?

–Lastly, Nintendo just doesn’t make games I want to play. They have Zelda and Metroid. For an adult, that’s it. They created no new adult franchises with the GameCube, all they did is put Mario in a ton of kiddie sports games. I need more than that.

As far as third parties go, it’ll get the “ugly” version of every multiplatform game out there, and it’ll probably get a lot of ports from third party crap from last generation, just like the DS gets.