T Nation

Nintendo Wii Reviews?

My brother asked me if my kids would like to have the new Wii. I’m not about to shell out $500-600 for a PS3 or X360, so if he wants to buy a Wii for my kids that’s great. But is the system any good? Nintendo seems to have gone in the complete opposite direction as the other systems with the Wii. Anyone have any reviews?

Well, my buddy got a wii when it came out. Played it this weekend and have to say I liked it. The controller takes a little while to get use to, but that’s what makes it unique. So far, I’ve played wii sports, zelda, and monkey ball.

Your kids will shit. My nephew has yet to stop playing for the damn thing. Even my bro-in-law and sis love it: they do nothing but play Wii Sports (the pack-in game). It’s a lot easier for him to play than regular games, too, since he just has to wave the remote around to do stuff.

I bought Excite Truck, which is badass, and my preordered Metal Slug anthology comes on the 29th. All this for less than the price of an Xbox 360 Premium system, or a single PS3. Plus you can buy old games like Mario and whatnot via the Virtual Console, look at photos and doodle on them, etc. Tons of fun for kids, and even people who hate games.

Get one.

[quote]LUEshi wrote:
Your kids will shit. My nephew has yet to stop playing for the damn thing. Even my bro-in-law and sis love it: they do nothing but play Wii Sports (the pack-in game). It’s a lot easier for him to play than regular games, too, since he just has to wave the remote around to do stuff.

I bought Excite Truck, which is badass, and my preordered Metal Slug anthology comes on the 29th. All this for less than the price of an Xbox 360 Premium system, or a single PS3. Plus you can buy old games like Mario and whatnot via the Virtual Console, look at photos and doodle on them, etc. Tons of fun for kids, and even people who hate games.

Get one.[/quote]

After reading some reviews on another site, it looks like the only downfalls are the lesser graphics (compared to PS# and 360) and no DVD. Are the graphics better than Gamecube at least?

Me and my roomate got the Wii on thursday, and it is fanstastic, for first games I would recomend Rayman it is and extention of Wii sports in that it is a sequence of mini games they are tons of fun and once you have played that for a few hours you are a master of the Wiiremote.
Side note my strength trainning has and impact on my gamming now my roomate can;t come close to the power I can get behind my shots in Wii bowling :stuck_out_tongue:
Another side note there are going to be alot of little fat kids getting heart attacks playing the Wii.

[quote]PGJ wrote:
LUEshi wrote:
Your kids will shit. My nephew has yet to stop playing for the damn thing. Even my bro-in-law and sis love it: they do nothing but play Wii Sports (the pack-in game). It’s a lot easier for him to play than regular games, too, since he just has to wave the remote around to do stuff.

I bought Excite Truck, which is badass, and my preordered Metal Slug anthology comes on the 29th. All this for less than the price of an Xbox 360 Premium system, or a single PS3. Plus you can buy old games like Mario and whatnot via the Virtual Console, look at photos and doodle on them, etc. Tons of fun for kids, and even people who hate games.

Get one.

After reading some reviews on another site, it looks like the only downfalls are the lesser graphics (compared to PS# and 360) and no DVD. Are the graphics better than Gamecube at least?

[/quote]

It is more powerful than the GameCube, but no specs have been released. It should be capable of better graphics than what we have seen so far, but no devs have put any effort into it yet.

[quote]PGJ wrote:
LUEshi wrote:
Your kids will shit. My nephew has yet to stop playing for the damn thing. Even my bro-in-law and sis love it: they do nothing but play Wii Sports (the pack-in game). It’s a lot easier for him to play than regular games, too, since he just has to wave the remote around to do stuff.

I bought Excite Truck, which is badass, and my preordered Metal Slug anthology comes on the 29th. All this for less than the price of an Xbox 360 Premium system, or a single PS3. Plus you can buy old games like Mario and whatnot via the Virtual Console, look at photos and doodle on them, etc. Tons of fun for kids, and even people who hate games.

Get one.

After reading some reviews on another site, it looks like the only downfalls are the lesser graphics (compared to PS# and 360) and no DVD. Are the graphics better than Gamecube at least?

[/quote]

The graphics are at least a little bit better than Gamecube. It’s hard to judge, since the best-game is supposedly Twilight Princess. I’ve just got Wii Sports and Excite Truck to go by.

I will say, though, that Red Steel looks like 10 pounds of crap in a five pound bag.

Let’s say this: I’ve been playing with my roommate’s Wii instead of doing HW.

Big fan of graphics (thus ps3 and xbox360) here, and I gotta say that I tried the wii and it was ALOT of fun…

The only thing I’m wondering is how you would use the Wiiremote for golf.

It looks like a lot of fun as a system though.

interesting article on how the wii is doing:

Nintendo are doing quite well, especially when you consider they are the only one making a profit on the console!!

[quote]DtotheG wrote:
Let’s say this: I’ve been playing with my roommate’s Wii instead of doing HW. [/quote]

No way!

You mean you’ve been choosing to play video games over the thrill of doing homework??? That system MUST be good!

The only reason I would buy a Wii is if the golf game was worth it. Has anybody played it? And if they have does a good golf swing REALLY affect the shot or can a weekend hacker hit it long and straight? That would take away from the reality of swinging it damn it.

I’m confused by the Wii. It’s supposed to be this awesome alternative console that will to appeal to the masses rather than the hardcore 20-something gaming nerds. Sound good so far. Yet the ONLY good game for it out now is the darkest, most hardcore Zelda game ever created, which appeals directly to gaming nerds. Seems strange to me.

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
DtotheG wrote:
Let’s say this: I’ve been playing with my roommate’s Wii instead of doing HW.

No way!

You mean you’ve been choosing to play video games over the thrill of doing homework??? That system MUST be good![/quote]

Thanks for clearing that up for me Bauer97. He was talking about video games when he said he was playing with his roommate’s Wii.

I thought he was talking about something else.

[quote]DtotheG wrote:
Let’s say this: I’ve been playing with my roommate’s Wii instead of doing HW. [/quote]

If I were to play with another man’s Wii I wouldn’t admit to it!

[quote]LUEshi wrote:

I will say, though, that Red Steel looks like 10 pounds of crap in a five pound bag. [/quote]

I like that line. Back home, we say something similar. For example, “Red Steel looks like ah dolla (dollar) bread in ah ten cents bag.”

To make my post seem relevant.

I have to disagree with you. I saw the commercial and Red Steel looks wicked. The Japanese guy in the background of the commercial was kind of corny though.

It looked like a typical first person shooter, but when I saw the guy turn the Wii controller and the actual gun in the game turned sideways too!

WICKED!

I would like to rent the Wii system for a weekend, play it with friends, then send it back. To me it’s one of those systems. Not something I’d shell out a lot of dough for. Then again I’m no longer a serious gamer. My interests are now different.

I hope Nintendo does well. Last system cycle Microsoft and Sony swallowed all the sales.

-Kevin

[quote]nramaker wrote:
I’m confused by the Wii. It’s supposed to be this awesome alternative console that will to appeal to the masses rather than the hardcore 20-something gaming nerds. Sound good so far. Yet the ONLY good game for it out now is the darkest, most hardcore Zelda game ever created, which appeals directly to gaming nerds. Seems strange to me.[/quote]

Trauma Center, DBZ: TB2, Monkey Ball and Metal Slug Anthology all look to be promising games.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/746/746040p1.html
http://wii.ign.com/articles/745/745710p1.html
http://wii.ign.com/articles/747/747251p1.html

[quote]Serious Guy wrote:
LUEshi wrote:

I will say, though, that Red Steel looks like 10 pounds of crap in a five pound bag.

I like that line. Back home, we say something similar. For example, “Red Steel looks like ah dolla (dollar) bread in ah ten cents bag.”

To make my post seem relevant.

I have to disagree with you. I saw the commercial and Red Steel looks wicked. The Japanese guy in the background of the commercial was kind of corny though.

It looked like a typical first person shooter, but when I saw the guy turn the Wii controller and the actual gun in the game turned sideways too!

WICKED!

I would like to rent the Wii system for a weekend, play it with friends, then send it back. To me it’s one of those systems. Not something I’d shell out a lot of dough for. Then again I’m no longer a serious gamer. My interests are now different.

I hope Nintendo does well. Last system cycle Microsoft and Sony swallowed all the sales.

-Kevin[/quote]

Nah, it’s an okay game, it’s just that the graphics really do not look that good. Bland textures, blah design, etc. I was expecting something a little bit better. It has its moments, though.

Also, I’m picking up Metal Slug Anthology tomorrow. 6 games for the price of 1? Can’t beat that with a stick, gents.

[quote]LUEshi wrote:
6 games for the price of 1? Can’t beat that with a stick, gents.[/quote]

Nope. It costs less than the price of one other game.