T Nation

Ninja Warrior aka Sasuke

Has anybody been watching this show on G4? It comes on real late at night, but one night I was having trouble sleeping and caught it. Got addicted and have been DVR’ing it ever since.

It’s basically a more serious version of MXC on Spike for those who are familiar with that. It’s a semi-annual contest held in Japan with four stages, each getting progressively harder. Only two men have ever completed the course in the 14-15 year history of the competition.

Some of the feats these guys accomplish are insane. Check it out if you get the chance. Any fitness enthusiast will like it.

There was a marathon on during finals week of my first semester. I’m blaming poor grades on that show.

kidding. But the show does kick ass.

definitely impressive stuff without the hilarity of MXC

First saw it a few weeks back, then caught it Tuesday night this week, 11:00pm CST

The third stage is what amazes me. The level of upper body and hand strength you have to have is unreal.

Is that on before or after Bonzai?

Man, that show keeps me laughing.

I love this show. There are plenty of people on there as a joke, but the serious guys are impressive athletes.

I can’t imagine dragging my 225 lb. ass around that course, but it would be fun to try.

Holy shit, thanks for telling me about this. That course is nuts. I want to try it.

Anyway I can view this without the use of G4? Being in the UK really does suck sometimes.

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
Anyway I can view this without the use of G4? Being in the UK really does suck sometimes.[/quote]

I think you can find individual run-throughs on YouTube, but I haven’t seen any full-length episodes. You might try a bittorrent site.

Just went to youtube and picked up this pretty cool clip.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8l7ppgfqhE0

Wow, that show kicks ass. Wish I could watch it more often (don’t get G4).

I’d love to see some of the parkour guys give that course a go. I’d bet they’d do pretty good on it.

Also, I could only find vids of the first course. If it just keeps getting more difficult from there on, those other courses must be incredible.

Finally watched the episode with only the second person to ever complete the course this morning. It was the first time I’d seen anybody even make it to the fourth round, much less complete it. I had previously seen one competitor fall at the end of the third stage.

I won’t say the name for those who are keeping up with it. I will say it was the guy I had picked as my favorite when I first started watching. The end of the third stage and the fourth are ridiculous.

Yeah they show that on tv alot here in Japan. They even have a women’s version, Kunoichi.
I think you gotta be light to complete all those stages though. They had an American Olympic decathalete(6’3" 200+) on once, he did well until the third stage, couldn’t hang on by his fingers.

dude from ross boxing would destroy this shit lol

I watched a marathon of ninja warrior on G4 a couple of weeks ago. They didn’t show the episode where the guy makes it to the end. But I was totally blown away by the gripping power in the third round. Incredible.

[quote]otoko wrote:
Yeah they show that on tv alot here in Japan. They even have a women’s version, Kunoichi.
I think you gotta be light to complete all those stages though. They had an American Olympic decathalete(6’3" 200+) on once, he did well until the third stage, couldn’t hang on by his fingers.[/quote]

Those were my exact thoughts as I watched Terek (the American decathlete) attempt the third stage. I knew as soon as he was on the Body Prop he wasn’t going to last long. Being undersized is definitely an advantage in this competition.

that is a bad ass show. I finally saw someone (2) clear the third stage and the one guy completed the final stage. If the third stage doesn’t inspire you to do some pull ups than nothing will.

The first emphasizing alot of jumping, the next speed, the third being strength, and the fourth seems to be just an insane mix of battling vertigo, speed, and strengh.

Each competition has 100 competitors. The first event usually disqualifies about 90+ competitors (only a few of the people participating are good athletes, the show is really all about them though).

the obstacles range from running up an uneven half-pipe resembling object
( http://www.tbs.co.jp/taiiku/sasuke/pro/img/1-5.gif )
to climbing in between two sheer walls by applying pressure with your hands and feet
( http://www.tbs.co.jp/taiiku/sasuke/pro/img/3-2.gif )

in the 8 years that this competition has been going on, only two men have ever finished.

(note: in the last competition Makato Nagano, fisherman made it to the top)