Nikki Haley...for President?

They would just praise Trump for finding a way to trick the Dems into signing his legislation that was his plan all along. 4D chess.

1 Like

4D is too limited. 5D, clearly.

1 Like

Everyone else is playing Chess and Trump is playing Sega Genesis

"The U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations, Nikki Haley, was asked Saturday what consequences Russia will face as a result of its interference in the 2016 election, and she declined to specify, telling Face the Nation moderator John Dickerson, “I think you’re going to have to ask the President.”

She had a lot of great answers. (Look on line if you can find them).

I think she is Politically savvy enough to not get herself caught up in Trump’s contradictions and his Tweet Storm’s, while trying to defend anything and everything Trump says and does. (Like Huckabee and Spicer).

Granted…different Jobs…but I think Haley is smart enough to avoid being pushed down a Rabbit Hole…

At the end of the day you’re still left with the hope that a female will win the post Trump Republican nomination. Don’t get your hopes up good sir.

1 Like

One could dream, I guess!

I remember during the General Campaign many prominent Republicans “applauding” the day we would have a woman President…(followed by "Just not THAT woman, referring to Hillary Clinton…)

I think the next few elections will be anything but boring.

That’s exactly when something like that could happen. The electorate swings back and forth in terms of the politics and especially personalities that it elects.

Look at history:

Eisenhower an old looking republican to John Kennedy a democrat and the youngest President ever elected to office.

Jimmy Carter a Southern democrat to Ronald Reagan a western conservative republican.

GW Bush to Obama!

There have been plenty of wild swings like this. In fact we went from the most liberal President we have ever had a black democrat to Donald Trump…that is one wild swing in terms of style and other factors.

Assuming the republican party will be forever changed because of Trump is the wrong assumption.

As we move further into the Century…I think that it will all boil down to which “voice” will predominate for each Party…their extremes…or the more “moderate” Wings.

One other thing…each Party has done a terrible job of reaching out to those who may have opposing views…but are Americans nonetheless.

Examples? (Briefly).

The Left? Working class, often rural, White Americans.

The Right? The LGBT community…and their continued “struggle”? with African Americans. (The perceived negative treatment of President Obama has only widened this Gap).

Does it really “matter” to either side?

Probably moreso in close elections. With that said; the Right appears to be “winning the Battle” in the States and now in the Federal Government. But as the saying goes:

“…Heavy is the Head Who Wears the Crown…”

The GOP is certainly finding that to be true, especially on the Federal Level…

Every one of these swings was from party to party. It doesn’t happen from within the same party. Highly sought after positions like POTUS set precedents for their party, that usually takes a loss of power to change (as proven by every one of your examples).

The republican party is undeniably changed due to Trump and those like him. To assume the GOP will be the same post Trump as pre Trump is the wrong assumption. Every POTUS has influence on where the party proceeds.

Actually I think the power of personality is what does it. As for party this has been discussed many times. But one more. How many times has one party kept the White House for three terms? It has only happened twice in modern times. One time from Roosevelt to Truman an the other was Reagan to Bush. So, if Trump wins a second term the likelihood of a republican winning is pretty remote. Unless of course Trump is so very good (like Reagan and Roosevelt) the electorate wants to keep his party in power.

We are way out into the future…but it’s fun to discuss. [quote=“pfury, post:69, topic:231623”]
The republican party is undeniably changed due to Trump and those like him. To assume the GOP will be the same post Trump as pre Trump is the wrong assumption. Every POTUS has influence on where the party proceeds
[/quote]

I agree with you in the short term. But history tells us that this does not last very long. Ronald Reagan pushed the republican party further to the right. How long did that last? Barack Obama the most liberal person to ever hold the White House has caused his party to shift further to the left. But, I don’t think it will last very long.

Trump has changed the republican party…for now.

Not to come off as flippant but how many people does that actually comprise? Whereas the white working class is a massive group and is what put Trump in the White House.

I think we’ve already passed that point as a possibility. Reagan/Roosevelt also weren’t turning themselves into driving forces to convince the other party to go out and vote.

That “short term” change would most likely still apply while he’s still in office right? As in when Nikki Haley would have to start running for POTUS? Are we expecting Trump’s influence of the GOP to wear off while he’s still in the oval?

It also comprises those that don’t wish to see the LGBT community treated as second class citizens. People like myself fall into the category of LGBT community (imo).

And that matters how?.

Many are still tax-paying, Patriotic, American Citizens.

That’s not the case my friend. Ronald Reagan was exceptionally unpopular with the left. They called him a “crazy cowboy” who was going to get us into a nuclear war. They also dubbed him “Ronnie RayGun”. They hated him and wanted him to lose badly. But he turned out to be so popular and successful in his first term the left had to lump it as he went on to win every state but Minnesota when he defeated Walter Mondale in 1984.

Is Trump a Reagan? No, certainly not. But I will say that if he keeps even 70% of his campaign promises, especially those related to the economy he will absolutely be reelected regardless of how much the left hates him. Most people will vote their purse over their party…every time!

If Trump wins a second term then he did some important things very well. That won’t harm Haley. What will harm Haley is the party change people seem to want to make after two terms of one party.

It’s like unseating a President. One only needs to look at history to see in the modern ear only two Presidents have not achieved two terms: Jimmy Carter and GHW Bush. And they each had some extenuating circumstances which lead to their respective losses.

Yes, I agree but again you are mostly referring to the far left and they would be voting for the democrat regardless. Trump loses nothing by not gaining the majority of votes from this demographic. And in fact may lose votes from the Christian right if he did pander too much to them. The numbers vary as to how many Evangelical Christians there are in the US. But surveys have stated that somewhere between 35% and 45% of all Christians have described themselves in this manner. And about 8 of 10 adults claim to be Christian. Therefore, the smart political move would be to not tick off such a large group in order to try to win more votes on the far left.

One more point, Mitt Romney lost the election because about 4 million registered Fundamentalist Christian voters stayed home. They couldn’t stomach Obama, but turned their backs on Mormon Romney. It is indeed a powerful voting block. Far and way more powerful than the LGBT community and it’s left wing supporters who largely vote democrat anyway.

Politics is certainly interesting.

Mufasa, we are talking about politics not the patriotism of any particular group. I am not questioning their patriotism. Read my response to Pfury. It’s about winning voting blocks while not alienating others.

Then they Vote for Trump…

Wow. I’ll just leave it at that.

In terms of winning Voting Blocks, Zeb…the GOP has certainly proven lately what it takes to win.

Until the DNC figures out why they lost and actually puts out a positive message they will continue to lose. Hating Trump has not, and will not help them.

Agree x 3.

Being “Anti-Trump” is not a message.

In terms of Hillary it’s been said Ad Nauseum…

The DEMS elected the only person within 10 light-years of Earth who could lose to Trump…

Haley needs to remain steady…because I swear her Boss is losing it…he really is…

1 Like

No, actually he’s not losing it. That is the left’s narrative that you are buying in to. Trump has always been, as I have said many times, a big mouth bragger and an ego maniac. Along with that he is eccentric and quite quirky. But he’s not at all losing it. Nope.