Nike Sparq

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
Shadowzz4 wrote:
it could even make it easier since the dumbells are moving upward, thus adding momentum to the movement.

Side note:

Seriously dude? Are you familiar with the laws of physics? Go grab a pair of 60s and curl em up as you jump and let me know if you get higher.[/quote]

Im not addressing the 60’s because I didnt see the form he used while using them… obviously over a certain weight you cant swing your arms up because the weight is just too heavy and there is additionally too much torque.

Im talking about the exercise Roy is doing in the video, stop acting like I said it is easy to do with 60’s.

[quote]Carnage wrote:
And you think that’s bad (Yes, I agree X-vests are way more suited to minimize added momentum)? You obviously haven’t seen Iverson doing DB squats, that is 1/4 DB squats, on those vibrating plate-like thingies.

[/quote]

When I had Mike Boyle’s class in school he would always talk about how NBA players were light years behind most other sports in the weight room, and I totally agree, that Iverson squat is just another example of the killer workouts many top NBA stars take part in… I know its not the whole league and that there are truly fit dudes but they sure are in the minority it seems.

[quote]WS4JB wrote:
comment from Iverson video

it vibrates so wen u squat the fucking brain tells ur musles to use even more of their power to complete the exercise so overtime u get used to using every fucking muscle to the max thus higher jumping than regular fucking shmoes like u
[/quote]

I just had to post this… so I happened to glance at the top of the page where it says

“The INTELLIGENT and Relentless Pursuit of Muscle”:

Then I scrolled down and noticed WS4JB’s quote… just take a look up above… baahahahhaaa

[quote]Shadowzz4 wrote:
WhiteFlash you have no idea what your talking about.

BrownAb had it exactly right, he was wasted and he still understood what I was talking about.

When Roy is jumping he raises the dumbells BEFORE he extends his hips, knees and ankles.

This means that the muscles of the shoulder are lifting the weight… the reason they are doing the box jumps to begin with is to work on developing power in the large muscles of the hips, thighs and lower leg.

This is exactly why olympic lifting movements are so beneficial… the majority of the force imparted to the bar is via the HIP EXTENSORS, not the shoulder.

[/quote]

I’m 5’9" and can dunk a ball from a standstill. Pretty sure I know what I’m talking about. Don’t get me started on how off you are in commenting n Brandon Roy. Don’t get butt hurt 'cause you’re wrong.

[quote]Carnage wrote:
I’m aware of those studies and their results. Wasn’t Bosco affiliated to the manufacturing company of powerplates? When those studies surfaced, the fitness market got overflowed with these things. I’m sure that powerplates have some beneficial qualities (like rehab), but there is also a significant amount of studies rejecting the notion of “vibrational training” having some additional qualities over other much used methods. If it hasn’t some edge over older but tried and tested methods, then why should you use it and buy some more expensive equipment? Isometric holds on powerplates are one thing, but I don’t think it’s the be all and end all in sprinting or any kind of athletic movement.

Maybe I am an arrogant prick that thinks he knows everything about training, maybe I’m not. The only thing we know for sure is that I commented on doing 1/4 squats on a powerplate.

Anyway, enough of this internet warrior-ing, come on AI, you can squat a little bit deeper than that!

[/quote]

Oh I feel ya dude and pretty much think you’re spot on- although who knows, maybe we’re both wrong. It could be total shit; I just get a little annoyed at the general tendency of people on the internet to criticize whole training programs over one clip.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Shadowzz4 wrote:
WhiteFlash you have no idea what your talking about.

BrownAb had it exactly right, he was wasted and he still understood what I was talking about.

When Roy is jumping he raises the dumbells BEFORE he extends his hips, knees and ankles.

This means that the muscles of the shoulder are lifting the weight… the reason they are doing the box jumps to begin with is to work on developing power in the large muscles of the hips, thighs and lower leg.

This is exactly why olympic lifting movements are so beneficial… the majority of the force imparted to the bar is via the HIP EXTENSORS, not the shoulder.

I’m 5’9" and can dunk a ball from a standstill. Pretty sure I know what I’m talking about. Don’t get me started on how off you are in commenting n Brandon Roy. Don’t get butt hurt 'cause you’re wrong.[/quote]

It’s okay, people are just gonna comment about things when they have never tried them.

That’s why there are people on this board that think it is easier to jump up on a box with [insert whatever weigth you like] dumbbells in their hand than it is without the dumbbells. Regardless of technique.

WhiteFlash I want video of you dunking from a standstill at 5’9".

I know I can do it at 6’3", but I would be mighty impressed to see this.

I’ll get video of myself dunking from a standstill this upcoming week.

Either way it doesn’t change the fact that I am right about the video.

And Jtrinsey how do you know I havent tried that? Did I say that?

And I didnt say it was definitely easier to do with dumbells, I said it COULD be easier because of the momentum dumbells provide.

No shit you cant swing 60’s up like that.

Just because something is harder doesnt mean it is effective.

One last thing. The reason I brought this video up to begin with is not just to bring someone down or hate on this or that, but when a so-called “master trainer” is doing exercises that just dont seem very well thought out at all, it kindof bothers me.

I mean here is someone who is supposedly at the top of our profession and I just dont appreciate the quality of what he is putting out. It seems very poorly thought out and amateur.

I know alot of people on these boards would just say “Hey leave the guy alone, thats a great exercise, look how well his client is playing” And if thats you fine.

I just think its garbage.

I suppose you’re entitled to your opinion. I’ve found that weighted box jumps performed in nearly the same manner have been very effective in improving vertical leap.

But that’s just me.

[quote]Shadowzz4 wrote:
WhiteFlash I want video of you dunking from a standstill at 5’9".

I know I can do it at 6’3", but I would be mighty impressed to see this.

I’ll get video of myself dunking from a standstill this upcoming week.

Either way it doesn’t change the fact that I am right about the video.

And Jtrinsey how do you know I havent tried that? Did I say that?

And I didnt say it was definitely easier to do with dumbells, I said it COULD be easier because of the momentum dumbells provide.

No shit you cant swing 60’s up like that.

Just because something is harder doesnt mean it is effective.[/quote]

I had knee surgery not quite three weeks ago. The only vids I know I have for sure are my jumping on the roofs of a Ford Focus and Ford Explorer. Don’t think I have any dunking vids, but as soon as my knee lets me I’ll put 'em up. If you feel you’re right about the vids that’s your right. I don’t agree, but more power to you.

For what it’s worth, I looked through my records. Across the board, we’ve hit higher jumps (box jumps and ordinary jump squats) with the vest on as compared to holding dumbbells. Reason is very simple: when you wear the vest, you can swing your arms up hard and some people have suggested that as much as 15% of vertical leap power is generated in the arms.

IMO, it doesn’t make either exercise “better”, just to be aware of the differences. We usually use the dumbbells for a few reasons:

1.) I only have two weighted vests, and I do essentially all of my training in groups. So if 4 kids are scheduled to do weighted box jumps, than it is annoying to have to switch off the vests (and possibly change weights) every set.

2.) It’s annoying having a weighted vest on the whole time while you’re doing 10-15 minutes of weighted box jumps.

3.) Much easier to change weights with dumbbells, so if you’re “working” up to heavier sets of weighted box jumps, it’s easier to do.

May be good reasons or bad, but in my real-world experience, that’s how it goes…

Shadow, I’ve never done db box jumps- or any kind of plyos for that matter- but I’ll try something out on myself. I just started doing Cressey’s max strength, and assuming my knee’s up to it when the program calls for broad jumps I’ll sub weighted box jumps.

My all time best vert is a 35" from a standstill and a 41.5" off of three steps. As soon as my knee feels good enough I’ll test my current vert and then retest after the month of db box jumps.
I’d also like to point out that I’m not calling you out, but am genuinely curious to see how they work, especially after reading what jtrinsey wrote. Gonna use db’s as I don’t have a weight vest.

Do whatever you want brother, but I would stay away from that exercise if I just had knee surgery… dont hurt yourself guy.

Jtrinsey… I hear what your saying about being able to jump higher with a weighted vest on, but again, just because it is harder doesnt mean it is necessarily better…

I would imagine you are doing compound exercises to increase strength as well, such as squats and deadlifts… in my experience these types of movements have more carryover into jumping.