Nike Free's?

[quote]The Ronin wrote:
For those of you with Free’s are you finding the sizing to be accurate or should I go up a 1/2?[/quote]

I went down a full size actually. I usually wear 15s (although I’m probably more accurately a 14.5, you can’t really get that size) and I got a pair of Frees in size 14 and they fit great.

I just bought a pair of trainers last night
they’re really comfy except for the fact that the side of my right foot seems to slip off the insole. i’ll get used to them though

Best shoe’s I’ve ever owned. I own a pair of 5.0 trainers, as well as the 7’s. The only disturbing this is that I think they are being discontinued.

While I can still find them online, every store in my area no longer has any of the models. and I’ve been told it’s an “old” shoe now. Hopefully, they will be replaced with something better. Either that, or I better order like a dozen pair of the Nike site.

[quote]Rotlex wrote:
Best shoe’s I’ve ever owned. I own a pair of 5.0 trainers, as well as the 7’s. The only disturbing this is that I think they are being discontinued.

While I can still find them online, every store in my area no longer has any of the models. and I’ve been told it’s an “old” shoe now. Hopefully, they will be replaced with something better. Either that, or I better order like a dozen pair of the Nike site.[/quote]

I hadn’t heard that one. I am actually surprised their popularity hasn’t grown more but I guess that probably has to do with how few people actually “train” in any way that warrants wearing them. They need to advertise the “weight lifting” aspect of them because I think some people only associate them with running.

Just run and train in Chuck Taylors.

[quote]Rotlex wrote:

While I can still find them online, every store in my area no longer has any of the models. and I’ve been told it’s an “old” shoe now. Hopefully, they will be replaced with something better. Either that, or I better order like a dozen pair of the Nike site.[/quote]

Yes, I have the same problem here. All the stores stopped carrying them. Online is the only place to get them. I don’t know that they are so much being discontinued, I just think that they are a low volume product and it’s more economical for Nike to distribute them from their website, rather than push a product that doesn’t sell like the Jordan’s or Shox on the retailers.

[quote]Rotlex wrote:

Please say it isn’t so!

Might be time to hoard a few more pairs. . .

[quote]keylolo wrote:
Just run and train in Chuck Taylors.[/quote]

These are better than Chuck Taylors. As long as I have a pair of these I won’t be wearing Chuck Taylors.

[quote]keylolo wrote:
Just run and train in Chuck Taylors.[/quote]

I lift in Chucks, and I think they work great for that.

But running in Chucks…?

OUCH!

Thanks for pointing those shoes out for me. Those kick ass!!

my only problem with these shoes is that the midsole is way too thick, particularly in the heel. it is flexible yes, but still unlike barefoot

[quote]Professor X wrote:
keylolo wrote:
Just run and train in Chuck Taylors.

These are better than Chuck Taylors. As long as I have a pair of these I won’t be wearing Chuck Taylors.[/quote]

Agreed, plus you don’t look like a wannabe trendster.

What about wrestling shoes? They’re thin soled and flexible, from what I remember.

[quote]belligerent wrote:
my only problem with these shoes is that the midsole is way too thick, particularly in the heel. it is flexible yes, but still unlike barefoot [/quote]

Yeah, I was really excited that a store near me had them on sale, so I went to go buy some, but they just didn’t fit my feet very well when I tried them on.

I also thought the midsole was too thick and the little anti-pronation (arch support) device was uncomfortable. The shoe really only flexed well at one place across the forefoot.

Reebok used to make a similar shoe that was more flexible than the Frees. It used some really light, white foam-type material (I forget what they called it). It came out about the same time Reebok came out with their “DMX” line of shoes.

I didn’t even know that the Free had an anti-pronation device (known as a medial post) but if it does, then that really defeats the supposed purpose of the shoe. That is completely incompatible with barefoot biomechanics.

The best minimalist shoe I know of is the Puma H Street. It’s great for running, lifting, and everyday wear.

I don’t know if it is a true medial post or if they just shaped the midsole to arch up a little, but I found it uncomfortable. The ones I tried definitely weren’t flat.

They seem to work for the feet of a lot of people here, just not for me.

I’ll look into those Pumas.

[quote]belligerent wrote:
I didn’t even know that the Free had an anti-pronation device (known as a medial post) but if it does, then that really defeats the supposed purpose of the shoe. That is completely incompatible with barefoot biomechanics…[/quote]

The 5.0 version doesn’t. The 7.0 version was made for football style drills involving starting and stopping on the side of the foot so they added more support there. He obviously wasn’t aware of the difference.

[quote]smallmike wrote:
I don’t know if it is a true medial post or if they just shaped the midsole to arch up a little, but I found it uncomfortable. The ones I tried definitely weren’t flat.

They seem to work for the feet of a lot of people here, just not for me.

I’ll look into those Pumas.[/quote]

The Nike Free 5.0’s don’t have an arch.

The heel looks higher than the front.
Is your foot on a slant, like your heel above your toes or is it just the way it looks?

i have the original nike frees that came out in 05, i like them for lifting but i triedusing them during track practice and it was shin splint city.