Nike Frees or Reebok ZigTech?

Im in need of a new shoe for the gym because my adidas are starting to wear out and arent really suitable for running. (They are the toeshell kind) Which shoe is more suitable for lifting (Squats,deadlifts) and running (Treadmill)?

Personally I don’t think that you’ll find a shoe that does all of those things well.

I have run in frees for several years (occasionally in stability shoes) and really like them, especially for sprints. Most of my distance running doesn’t surpass 4 miles. I have squatted pretty heavy, for me anyway (~400lbs), in them and do notice a bit of compression and distortion (rolling to the outside) and for that reason prefer my chucks for squats. Squatting in them will probably greatly decrease their life. I always deadlift barefoot.

Bottom line: I love my frees. I think that they hold up very well (better than any other Nike I’ve had). Get some cheap chucks or lifting shoes for squats. Deadlift barefoot. I have no experience with ZigTech.

Goodluck!

i’ve never used the zigtech, but i like my frees. i initially bought them for sprints, which i quite like them for, but ended up wearing them to the gym most days out of convenience. i agree that there is some compression during squats and deads, though not as much as other shoes i’ve worn, so i still prefer chucks or barefoot for those lifts.

These my man…best thing out there for pulling and squatting.

Not bad to run in either.

Chuck Taylors.

Vans work great for lifting.

Anybody try those K-Swiss tubes? The only reason I would give 'em a shot is because Kenny Powers uses them, and shit, he’s Kenny Powers.

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

Chuck Taylors.[/quote]
let’s be serious here, high tops are the only way to go with chucks.

[quote]iamthewolf wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

Chuck Taylors.[/quote]
let’s be serious here, high tops are the only way to go with chucks.[/quote]

Nahhhh let your ankles run free my friend!

Low top wearers may apply for man card reinstatement in 2011

I cant think of a shoe I’d squat, dead, and run in.

I squat and deadlift in chucks. I do a lot of lifting in chucks. I dont run at the gym but I like new balance running shoes for regular running around. Find a running shoe that fits your foot well.

I like my Nike frees. I would rather use chucks for Squats and DL’s but my feet are too wide, they pinch the end of my foot :frowning:

I just can’t bring myself to by some Vibrams, can’t get past the Ewoks look lol.

[quote]bond james bond wrote:
I like my Nike frees. I would rather use chucks for Squats and DL’s but my feet are too wide, they pinch the end of my foot :frowning:

I just can’t bring myself to by some Vibrams, can’t get past the Ewoks look lol. [/quote]

Do it brother, you will love them I promise. Ol daddy Vegita wouldn’t steer you wrong.

BTW the answer to the OP is Vibram FF. They should be everyones foot protection of choice when outside of the workplace. Unless your workplace is cool with them and then they should be worn there as well.

V

I guess the general consensus is Frees. I REALLY want some input on Zigtech though,they look intresting and someone mentioned that they were the most comfortable shoes they ever worn. As for the Frees,im concern about durability issues (Which I have seen and heard over the net) and I dont understand the numbering system.

I appreciate people suggesting Vans and Chucks but my feet are flat and get fucked up anyway,I sorta need some cushioning. No,im not going to get Vibrams. Jesus,lol.

[quote]Totenkopf wrote:
No,im not going to get Vibrams. Jesus,lol.[/quote]

Why? Pussy!

V

Those zigtechs are kinda lame looking IMO… The Situation wears them all the time so there ya go.

I have frees and vibrams. They’re both nice. A 45lb plate fell on my toe while wearing my vibrams and i kinda stopped wearing them for a little while after that.

Just take your shoes off for squats and deads. That’s what I do

[quote]gregron wrote:
Those zigtechs are kinda lame looking IMO… The Situation wears them all the time so there ya go.

I have frees and vibrams. They’re both nice. A 45lb plate fell on my toe while wearing my vibrams and i kinda stopped wearing them for a little while after that.

Just take your shoes off for squats and deads. That’s what I do[/quote]

Just to be fair, have you dropped a 45 Lb plate on your toe with frees on? I mean I don’t think it’s going to feel good in either footwear.

V

[quote]Vegita wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

Just to be fair, have you dropped a 45 Lb plate on your toe with frees on? I mean I don’t think it’s going to feel good in either footwear.

V[/quote]
Yeah,and was it from loading/unloading from a bench press or the squat rack? The situation may make the Zigtech look gay but Chad Ochocinco and Peyton Manning makes up for it.

vibrams.

[quote]Totenkopf wrote:

[quote]Vegita wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

V[/quote]
Yeah,and was it from loading/unloading from a bench press or the squat rack? The situation may make the Zigtech look gay but Chad Ochocinco and Peyton Manning makes up for it.
[/quote]

Yeah I’m sure it woulda smashed my toe no matter what shoe I was wearing at the time but it just so happens to be when I was wearing my 5 fingers… I still love them and wear them I just stopped for a while after that (partly cause I couldn’t put them back on cause of my mashed up toe nail)

I was loading up the bar for deadlifts. Had stood a plate up on it’s end and was turning to grab another one when it fell over and clipped the end of my toe (was one of the metal plates. Not lucky enough to be a bumper plate)

Ended up having the toenail come off. It sucked.

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]Totenkopf wrote:

[quote]Vegita wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

V[/quote]
[/quote]

Yeah I’m sure it woulda smashed my toe no matter what shoe I was wearing at the time but it just so happens to be when I was wearing my 5 fingers… I still love them and wear them I just stopped for a while after that (partly cause I couldn’t put them back on cause of my mashed up toe nail)

I was loading up the bar for deadlifts. Had stood a plate up on it’s end and was turning to grab another one when it fell over and clipped the end of my toe (was one of the metal plates. Not lucky enough to be a bumper plate)

Ended up having the toenail come off. It sucked.[/quote]

Well the good news is it didn’t land on the tip of your dick. I hate when that happens. Always remember to wear Briefs not Boxers while training.

V

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
Low top wearers may apply for man card reinstatement in 2011

[/quote]

Close minded ankle hater…I blow my nose at you!!

[quote]Vegita wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]Totenkopf wrote:

[quote]Vegita wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

V[/quote]
[/quote]

Ended up having the toenail come off. It sucked.[/quote]

Well the good news is it didn’t land on the tip of your dick. I hate when that happens. Always remember to wear Briefs not Boxers while training.

V[/quote]

ive done that once, ever so slightly, while being lazy and racking plates. used my thigh/knee to push the plates onto the weight tree… never again