T Nation

Nike Frees and Foot Odor

This is a question for those of you who wear Nike Frees (or another athletic shoe) without socks.

How do you deal with the foot odor? Is there anything you would recommend to put in your shoes to absorb the smell? Not something that masks it, something that eliminates it.

In the other thread, someone suggested Gold Bond Foot Powder. Does this work well? I don’t like the idea of having powdery feet all the time…

I just wear socks when I’m training or anywhere else I know I’m going to be sweating a lot.

Otherwise I don’t wear socks and don’t really have a problem.

i have the frees as well and they do get stinky haha and the gold bonds foot powder works great…i actually just put it directly into the sneaker rather than on my feet, works great for me, also noticed that since i started doin that the smell has gone away

I second the Gold Bond. Just dump it right into the shoe.

Damn, I was gonna start one of these threads the other day as my girl just started giving me a hard time about my frees. They are definitely starting to get ripe. I thought the lining would cut down on that somewhat as they market the shoe to be worn barefoot and you think the design would’ve contemplated this.

But they dont seem to have gone stink “free” any longer than any other sneakers worn without socks. I usually hit them with whatevers handy, lysol, febreeze, baby powder, and that kind of helps…

This stuff works like a champ:

http://www.footodor.net/

It’s cheap ($16), and once you apply three days in a row, you’re done for six months.

I don’t wear socks with my Frees and this stuff entirely stopped the odor.

um…try washing them.

at least wash the insoles man. just drop them in the sink and scrub them off with some lava you know ? and wash your feet also. and get in between the toes. and that’s really all there is to it. if you keep them clean from teh start they won’t ever stink. once they stink though it’s pretty much all over.

gold bond …wtf ? would you wear the same skivvies everyday and just dump some gold bond on them ?

[quote]swivel wrote:
um…try washing them.

at least wash the insoles man. just drop them in the sink and scrub them off with some lava you know ? and wash your feet also. and get in between the toes. and that’s really all there is to it. if you keep them clean from teh start they won’t ever stink. once they stink though it’s pretty much all over.

gold bond …wtf ? would you wear the same skivvies everyday and just dump some gold bond on them ? [/quote]

I have to agree. I don’t have this problem. I also take baths…like, everyday (most days, twice). The Frees are pretty well ventilated. If you have overactive sweat glands in your feet or you don’t clean them well, don’t blame the shoes.

I too wear socks with my frees. I went through a period in life (teen years) where I didn’t wear socks because it was the cool thing to do. Guess what, I had foot odor all the time. I started wearing socks and the foot odor disappeared.

DB