Nike Frees and Flat Feet

This question is for Eric Cressey and anyone else who has any experience working with those with flat feet .I know Eric has mentioned the free as a way to get the foot to work harder and along with soft tissue work and anterior tibialis work to correct flat feet in those that have functional flat feet.

I understand that frees are built with a curved last and that a curved last is usually for supinators.So wouldn’t the frees rather than keeping a foot neutral, kind of make your foot flater?Is that the idea?The foot has to work harder to get out of being flat?

[quote]Andy Schmitt wrote:
This question is for Eric Cressey and anyone else who has any experience working with those with flat feet .I know Eric has mentioned the free as a way to get the foot to work harder and along with soft tissue work and anterior tibialis work to correct flat feet in those that have functional flat feet.

I understand that frees are built with a curved last and that a curved last is usually for supinators.So wouldn’t the frees rather than keeping a foot neutral, kind of make your foot flater?Is that the idea?The foot has to work harder to get out of being flat? [/quote]

I have flat feet. I have had orthotics made in the past because of pain associated with it. Since I have been wearing the frees I haven’t needed the orthotics (which didn’t help me much to begin with). My feet would hurt at first because they were working harder during the day because of lack of support, however that helped me out in the long run.

I think your idea is wrong. It isn’t “making your foot flatter”. It is allowing your feet to adapt in strength to how flat they already are while you walk around on them all day long…something you wouldn’t normally do.

My other shoes that have more support are now extremely uncomfortable for me whereas I could tolerate them before.

The 7.0s are more comfortable for my flat feet compared to the 5.0. The 5.0 is somehow more narrow in the midfoot region, so unless I’m running fast, they’re not the most comfortable “all purpose” shoes for my foot’s design.

I purchased a close-out priced pair of the 5.0 Trail shoes for $35 (apparently size 11s are hard to sell?). They’ll arrive on Monday, so I’ll have every iteration of the Free, and I’ll know which one is best from here on out.

So far, even with my flat feet, the 7.0s are nice.

Where did you find them for $35 online? My girlfriend just got a pair of 5.0’s at a Nike outlet for $20 but the best I can find is about $45-80.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Andy Schmitt wrote:

I understand that frees are built with a curved last and that a curved last is usually for supinators.So wouldn’t the frees rather than keeping a foot neutral, kind of make your foot flater?Is that the idea?The foot has to work harder to get out of being flat?

I have flat feet. I have had orthotics made in the past because of pain associated with it. Since I have been wearing the frees I haven’t needed the orthotics (which didn’t help me much to begin with). My feet would hurt at first because they were working harder during the day because of lack of support, however that helped me out in the long run.

I think your idea is wrong. It isn’t “making your foot flatter”. It is allowing your feet to adapt in strength to how flat they already are while you walk around on them all day long…something you wouldn’t normally do.

My other shoes that have more support are now extremely uncomfortable for me whereas I could tolerate them before.[/quote]

Did you over-pronate without Nike Frees or orthotics and get shin splints as well as foot pain?

The Trail 5.0s are incredible. More substantial but they fit a wider foot compared to the regular 5.0. I’m going to be getting these for a while…

I got them from footlocker.com. Just search for deals every week, you’ll find a cheap pair eventually.

[quote]Dorso wrote:
Where did you find them for $35 online? My girlfriend just got a pair of 5.0’s at a Nike outlet for $20 but the best I can find is about $45-80.[/quote]

Just bought some for $39.99 at the Sports Authority from a closeout table.

Looked on eBAy, but the shipping fees are a rape job.