Nike Airmax Stability for Lifting

I need a new pair of training shoes.  I would like to use the same shoes for running and lifting if that's not a bad idea.

Anyone have opinions on whether or not Airmaxes (with the big bubble in back) and/or Shox are good for things like squatting?

I’ve never owned a pair of Shox but Airmaxes I dont think are the most stable shoes because of all the squishy cushioning.

Has anyone found this to be a problem? How about Shox, are they more stable?

i got some airmax 360’s, and i must say they are not a good lifting shoe at all. in fact, they broke from loading too much weight on them. i’m not impressed with them at all.

nike has made air max shoes too complicated now that they defeat their purpose i think. it could be tough to find a good running and lifting shoe, but i hope you do. hope this helps

I think in previous forums the perils of nike shoes have been discussed. I think two better choices would be Nike Free shoes or simply their indoor soccer shoes. I was getting sore feet from squats until I switched to the soccer shoe. They are the best shoe for lifting that I have found.

I just bought a pair of Nike Frees, they are excellent training shoes. Do NOT use shoes with air bubbles. If you squat or deadlift a decent amount of weight they will pop/break. There are many threads about kicks on this site. Use the search function.

Get Nike Football Turf shoes like the Nike Astro Grabber. Great support and lightweight. Perfect for lifting and running.

Does anyone have experience with the Shox shoes?

Unfortunately I’m a very poor student, need a good quality pair of running shoes, and really don’t have the luxury of buying an additional pair of shoes just for lifting.

I only squat 225 so I don’t think I’d have as many problems in running shoes as many of you, but I do want to get the best running shoes for lifting.

I used to use Adidas A3’s which have shocks, didn’t have any problem with them, they do have an elevated portion to the heal which they say is “bad.” Yet I still made good gains in all lower body strength. Now that I wear Frees my strength is pretty much the same as the A3’s, I just needed a new pair of shoes so I got the Frees and like them. I think Frees would be less expensive than shox wouldn’t they?

I wear prescription orthotics which would make the frees not free (the orthotics dont flex at all). Also, I’ve found running shoes with EVA foam cushioning break down quick when I lift with them, or at elast loose their cushioning for running.

That’s why I was interested in AirMaxes or Shox – they use polyeurethane foam and cushioning that generally doesn’t break down.

Good to hear the Shox worked out for you. Looks like I’m going to go with some Shox.

I’ve been running a lot and my kid brother and mother have been doing track and fields for years. My brother uses Nike but that’s only because he’s sponsored and gets them for free.

Nike makes good shoes, but their durability isn’t what it should be compared to their price. You’re saying you can’t afford two different pairs I would consider it anyway. Try and take a look at the ones I suggest here:

Running shoe (I think Asics makes great shoes with a very good durability):
http://www.eastbay.com/catalog/productdetail.cfm?model_nbr=64658&sku=4150196&SID=8717&inceptor=1&cm_mmc=SEM-_-Feeds-_-YahooShopping-_-null

And maybe consider something like this for lifting:

That’s 29$ and 39$. Both very solid shoes and without a doubt a better buy than the newest and very expensive state of the art shoe from Nike.

If you for some reason don’t like my two solutions and absolutely insists on Nike I’d suggest that you try and get some of last years models instead. They are alot cheaper and you can’t tell the difference anyway.

Just a thought.

You might want to look into why you wear orthotics. For some people barefoot exercises and Nike Frees have made it so that they don’t need the orthotics. I don’ tknow your case it may be something like one leg shorter than the other, but just something to ponder while your in school.