T Nation

Nighttime feeding (water or milk)

Hey All,
I have been doing the nighttime feeding for some time now (probabl close to 3 months)…and I LOVE it. Anyways, like most people, I read and re-read Berardi’s articles and the other day I re-read his Bedtime Story article concerning night time feeding and our on-going battle with catabolism. Anyways, I was just curious as to which people prefer to use…whey+water or whey plus milk?? Personally, before bed I eat 6 egg whites, 1/2 cup of cottage cheese, and a low carb protein drink. Then before I go to bed, I mix up a scoop of whey with water and leave it in the fridge. When I get up in the middle of the night to take a piss (ala Brent Nelson style…haha)…I drink my shake! Anyways, do most of you use milk or water and if you could…why do you choose to use what you use. Talk to ya soon…Tony G

I would just use water because I dont like the idea of taking in any carbohydrates during the middle of the night. Personally, I notice they mess with my sleep cycle and when I do consume them during the night I tend to wake up with some kind’ve a hangover like headache.

Milk makes me gassy and bloated, which inteferes with sleep. It also doesn’t digest as quickly.

the times I have experimented with night feeding and used milk-based shakes, i was totally not ready to eat when I woke up, I was still full.

That is counter-productive.