T Nation

Night Workout

Anybody working out late like 10 or 11pm at night? If so how are your results? Whats your eating like after the workout and before bed? From what I’ve seen the suggested time of day to workout is in the AM for good results but I am considering changing to do a PM workout because of my schedule.

I’ll workout that late in the summer because I don’t have A/C where my weight room is. I enjoy it.

In our dry climate, it really cools down in the evening, and it makes for a very relaxing (for lack of a better word) workout. You just have to make sure you can get your PWO nutrition in, and still be able to get good sleep.

I am in the same situation you are. I take a full course load and work. I usually hit the gym about 10-12 at night and have begun to perfer it over early morning or mid afternoon workouts. I’ve noticed virtually no difference between the early morning/mid afternoon workouts and the late night workouts in the progression of my strength/size. The only annoying part is the fact I usually finish off my post workout meal about 1:00PM. But, I’ve never had any problems getting a good nights sleep.

Rainjack:

I’m working out in a gym so I don’t have quite the same scenario but it’s good to know that the time doesn’t seem to make a difference.

PKP284:

My main concern is PWO and last meal of the day doing more damage than good since I’d be going to bed in a short time after the workout. I was wondering about being too pumped to sleep but I guess if I workout properly and make the last meal of the day a light one then I’ll have no problem sleeping.

i used to do it. i find it less than optimal but obviously better than nothing. for me optimal is early afternoon. but i work out in the evening, and here’s why:

early AM: i have no energy, and i’m a hyooge pussy
AM: i have to got to work, and i’m a big pussy
noonish: we don’t have a gym at work, although we have a basketball court and trails for running and mountain biking, and i’m mostly a pussy
afternoon: i am still at work, but this is the time that i am least a pussy
evening: although still a pussy, this time slot is best, as it allows an immediate PWO drink and a meal prior to bed
night: i get too tired, i can’t get sufficient PWO nutrition, i get a little too amped to get to sleep at a reasonable time, and i’m eating pussy

BFG

Rectap- I’m thinking you are afraid of consuming your carbs before bed because we all know that it is a no no. Listen to the Double-Tap with JB, he goes over this and basicly says it doesn’t matter when you workout, your body doesn’t care, after you lift your body NEEDS those carbs to recover. I normally get home at about 11pm. I have my Surge at the gym and when I get home I eat a big bowl of rice or pasta(hell I had pancakes last night that my sister made for me) and some lean protein like a chicken breast or tuna or something. I am offically cutting now but my fat gains over the winter bulk have been very slight, maybe 5-8lbs of fat. Even with my slow metabolisim and crappy genetics I did ok.

I work out at 10PM everynight due to job, family, etc. It works well with me.
Post workout - I mix up a Grow! shake with milk (for extra protien and carbs). Sometimes i sprinkle Grow! over some bran cereal and add milk. YUM! I think the key is not to go crazy with food before you go to bed.
I also don’t go to bed right way - I stay up for about an hour and go to bed 'round midnight.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
Rectap- I’m thinking you are afraid of consuming your carbs before bed because we all know that it is a no no. Listen to the Double-Tap with JB, he goes over this and basicly says it doesn’t matter when you workout, your body doesn’t care, after you lift your body NEEDS those carbs to recover. I normally get home at about 11pm. I have my Surge at the gym and when I get home I eat a big bowl of rice or pasta(hell I had pancakes last night that my sister made for me) and some lean protein like a chicken breast or tuna or something. I am offically cutting now but my fat gains over the winter bulk have been very slight, maybe 5-8lbs of fat. Even with my slow metabolisim and crappy genetics I did ok.[/quote]

you hit it right on the nose I’ll check Double Tap out.

[quote]thor wrote:
I work out at 10PM everynight due to job, family, etc. It works well with me.
Post workout - I mix up a Grow! shake with milk (for extra protien and carbs). Sometimes i sprinkle Grow! over some bran cereal and add milk. YUM! I think the key is not to go crazy with food before you go to bed.
I also don’t go to bed right way - I stay up for about an hour and go to bed 'round midnight. [/quote]

Pretty much I would be going to bed about an hour and a half after working out. I figure I’ll eat a meal at night that hits the mark as far as nutrients that won’t make me feel like a big fat bastard before bed.

[quote]BFG wrote:
i used to do it. i find it less than optimal but obviously better than nothing. for me optimal is early afternoon. but i work out in the evening, and here’s why:

early AM: i have no energy, and i’m a hyooge pussy
AM: i have to got to work, and i’m a big pussy
noonish: we don’t have a gym at work, although we have a basketball court and trails for running and mountain biking, and i’m mostly a pussy
afternoon: i am still at work, but this is the time that i am least a pussy
evening: although still a pussy, this time slot is best, as it allows an immediate PWO drink and a meal prior to bed
night: i get too tired, i can’t get sufficient PWO nutrition, i get a little too amped to get to sleep at a reasonable time, and i’m eating pussy

BFG[/quote]

LOL Thats an interesting way to describe your motivation and time to workout. How do you handle so much pussy every day? you must be a major stud. I’m joking of course.

I don’t consider it a night workout, but I lift at around 6:30 on the weekdays. It’s the best time for me because I have an hour after work to grab a little meal, sit on the internet for a while and go meet my girlfriend there after she gets off work (I know she’s waiting for me, so I can’t just skip you know).

I read a looooong time ago an article about testosterone levels during the day. I think that around dinner time, your levels are the highest…not sure if that helps or not, I can’t even remember how credible the source was where I read it, but it makes me want to lift…and if you think it’ll work, chances are it will.

Then I get home and eat a yogurt or banana or something and dinner…then a couple hours later before bed grab a shake and it’s off to bed.

ractep,

Don’t know whether it is helpful to you or not but I will tell from my own experience. My karate training goes at 8 - 9:30pm. Most of the time it starts off with technical/tactical training then anaerobic cardio training. For those nights I eat my dinner at 10pm, which my dinner contains 1/2 cup of rice, some veges and lean meat. And then I head to sleep at 11pm. It has been like that for about 2 years but I have been maintaining 11% body fat.