T Nation

Night Time Protein

Just wondering if anyone has heard about these products? Nitrovarin or Somnabol? Are any of these or something similar worth trying?

No, but the best thing for night time protein is cottage cheese. Cottage cheese is almost pure casein protein and calcium. It takes all night to digest, this raises your metabolism and you burn calories while you sleep.

Night time protein supplements are a waste of money. Your better off eating some cottage cheese before you go to bed.

[quote]Mack wrote:
Just wondering if anyone has heard about these products? Nitrovarin or Somnabol? Are any of these or something similar worth trying? [/quote]

I don’t know about nitrovarin or somnabol…but I do know that eating a chicken breast or some turkey before bed is definately worth trying.

What is the recommended amount of protein, carbs, and fat content recommended for before bed consumption?

Exactly how much cottage cheese should I consume?

What are other foods I should throw into my before bed meal?

I use a few different sources. Cottage cheese, natural peanut butter, hard boiled eggs, grilled chicken and turkey, and almonds with milk.

Cottage cheese is really the best as a few posts have mentioned. I have a hard time with it, not due to the taste, but it makes me feel like I am going to throw up. So I try to get good protein with good fat.

I usually eat 3 whole eggs, scrambled, before bed. I know cottage cheese is preferred, but I tend to get nauseous when I eat cottage cheese.

I usually just eat a heaping bowl of cottage chesse. I pour a ton of black pepper on it. Unlike salt, the pepper won’t bother you at all.

T-Nation did an article on these nighttime proteins a while back. They’re rip offs. Here it is -

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=461073

Cottage cheese all the way. Mmm, night-time casein.

If you can’t stomach it raw, blend it up with some milk or water. That way the sick rough texture is gone, and it just tastes like milk or natural yoghurt, slightly sour but quite alright.

Good question though, about how much to eat? I reckon 40g protein or so, like any other meal. Don’t overdo it. If you eat too much, you won’t sleep well.

You could always use some casein based protein powder with a tablespoon of EFA oil.

Crowbar