Night Time Protein And Meal

I had a previous thread about protein at night. Casein is the way to go, but most of what I see is a mixture of whey and casein instead of just casein. Is such a powder out there??? Also on a side note, if i eat before i go to bed, will the food breakdown properly since i obviously will not be doing any activity? I know there is the idea about not eating right before bed because it will turn to fat. As long as the food source is lean and full of good fats i should have no problem right?

What is wrong with a mixture? A blend of both is good and what you will find in Metabolic Drive. That’s the one I recommend.

D

It’s overall caloric intake that influences bodyweight, to an extent. As long as you have your calories evenly distributed throughout the day, body fat gain shouldn’t be much of an issue with a proper calorie level.

As for pre-bed stuff, something with just protein and fat won’t elicit much of an insulin response, as opposed to something with a large amount of carbs, so body fat storage isn’t much of a risk anyway.

The casein in a product will slowly digest, and it will slow the whey down to an extent with it. It’s good to have a variety of protein sources, keeps the different amino acid levels more where they need to be. So having the casein cut with whey won’t cause any problems, just take 20-40 grams of protein before bed with some fat. I personally mix it with flax oil in a shake.

Thanks for responding guys. I’ve been doing my reading about the GI and the influence of insulin so I see what you are saying. The trouble I am running into is that my calorie intake is bigger than normal now but it is full of foods recommended by JB.

I have a pretty good will power so I am cramming down foods that i dont really care for. My energy feels greater and i have noticed that my workout numbers are improving so i am excited about that. The only problem is that i am getting a pretty good bit of tummy fat along with it and that confuses me.

I was thinking that either my calorie intake is too high for me (which from other posts it is determined that is probably not the case), or maybe I am misguided with the combo of P+F and P+C.

This is me and my typical day:

24years old, 5’11", 188 lbs. I dont know BF%, I have no excess fat except on my stomach

Train 4-5/week, upper/lower split

Wake up 630am

Eat breakfast from 715-730
3 whole eggs, 2 slices of 9grain bread, and 42g whey shake. 2 cups coffee

Snack @ 10
Fruit and 21g whey shake

Lunch @ 1230
Lean meat, some kind of canned veggie, water

Snack @ 330
Canned Tuna w/ saltines

Workout from 545 - 7pm

Dinner @ 815
Lean meat, veggies

Snack @ 10pm
Whey/Casein shake, 40g and 4 natural PB ritz sandwhiches

Does it look like I am doing the right combo of P+F and P+C? Is this too many calories for my size? I know I am not listing a certain weight of food when i eat, but i can honestly say that i eat until I feel almost sick. It’s aggravating to have the willpower to do the right thing, but not know exactly 100% of what you should do.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

[quote]WeaponX wrote:
Thanks for responding guys. I’ve been doing my reading about the GI and the influence of insulin so I see what you are saying. The trouble I am running into is that my calorie intake is bigger than normal now but it is full of foods recommended by JB.

I have a pretty good will power so I am cramming down foods that i dont really care for. My energy feels greater and i have noticed that my workout numbers are improving so i am excited about that. The only problem is that i am getting a pretty good bit of tummy fat along with it and that confuses me.

I was thinking that either my calorie intake is too high for me (which from other posts it is determined that is probably not the case), or maybe I am misguided with the combo of P+F and P+C.

This is me and my typical day:

24years old, 5’11", 188 lbs. I dont know BF%, I have no excess fat except on my stomach

Train 4-5/week, upper/lower split

Wake up 630am

Eat breakfast from 715-730
3 whole eggs, 2 slices of 9grain bread, and 42g whey shake. 2 cups coffee

Snack @ 10
Fruit and 21g whey shake

Lunch @ 1230
Lean meat, some kind of canned veggie, water

Snack @ 330
Canned Tuna w/ saltines

Workout from 545 - 7pm

Dinner @ 815
Lean meat, veggies

Snack @ 10pm
Whey/Casein shake, 40g and 4 natural PB ritz sandwhiches

Does it look like I am doing the right combo of P+F and P+C? Is this too many calories for my size? I know I am not listing a certain weight of food when i eat, but i can honestly say that i eat until I feel almost sick. It’s aggravating to have the willpower to do the right thing, but not know exactly 100% of what you should do.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
[/quote]

Well, I might get someone to tear into this thread and how “how dare you tell that young man to eat less” but I shall proceed anyhow. I used to slam a shake every night right at bedtime and had a bit of love handleness that was hard to get rid of.

By nixing the bedtime shake and not eating past 7:00 p.m. at the latest and substituting ten BCAA tablets right at bedtime, I have dropped quite a bit of gut and handle fat. I have retained muscle, look better, and continue to make gains in the gym

You have a pretty good program nailed down overall so a small change like this might help. Also, experiment and see what works for you.

Take care,

D

I would nix the saltines and ritz, especially right before bedtime. You’re basically eating highly processed flour.

Also, you don’t really need carbs before sleeping. The whole idea behind the pre-bed feeding is to stave off catabolism and supply your body with protein while you sleep.

So eat protein and some healthy fats.

I eat the saltines about 6 hours before i go to sleep. I will cut the ritz before bed though. Once in another thread, someone suggested that i eat eggs because they slowly digest. What do you guys think about that?

I know a P+F meal before bed, but I usually eat that about 2 hours before i go to sleep. So you guys think I should just eat another helping before going to sleep.

I am still unclear about the concept of healthy fats. Looking at JB’s articles, he lists a bucnh of oils (evoo, fish, etc.) but what foods have these healthy fats?