T Nation

Night Sweats

Ok, so this isn’t really an injury or rehab, but not sure where to put this.

I have terrible night sweats. I mean, soaking my bed and body for head to toe. It’s intermittent. It can go on for days with a day here or there in between not happening and then not happen for days or weeks and then it’ll start again.

There does not appear to be a correlation between it and my diet, the temperature of my house, etc. Happens in my house, at hotels, not really at other people’s houses though, which is weird.

Anywho, I’ve been to a doctor about it and said it just is for some people. I like doctors like that, b/c if it was truly normal, everyone would be doing it. I know it’s not uncommon, so I figured there would be other people on here with similar issues.

Wanted to know what YOUR experiences were and if you had a good doctor that helped you out with it.

Try a different doctor. A basic blood work panel could give useful information and, if nothing else, give you peace of mind that nothing is wrong. (Try to make sure thyroid tests are included in “basic” blood work.)

[quote]ZJStrope wrote:

I have terrible night sweats. I mean, soaking my bed and body for head to toe. It’s intermittent. It can go on for days with a day here or there in between not happening and then not happen for days or weeks and then it’ll start again.

There does not appear to be a correlation between it and my diet, the temperature of my house, etc. Happens in my house, at hotels, not really at other people’s houses though, which is weird.

Anywho, I’ve been to a doctor about it and said it just is for some people. I like doctors like that, b/c if it was truly normal, everyone would be doing it. I know it’s not uncommon, so I figured there would be other people on here with similar issues.

Wanted to know what YOUR experiences were and if you had a good doctor that helped you out with it. [/quote]

I’ve had them and went to my GP about it. Not to scare you but the reason I went was because I lost a cousin at 29 y.o. to lymphoma and that was one of his first signs of the cancer. May Doc said it’s common during the change into winter.
Like previously said, some basic bloodwork should put you at ease; sure made me feel better.

Get the bloodwork done since massive night sweats (ex. Sheets and clothing soaked) is a symptom of lymphoma. Have the bloodwork done and if it’s normal, there’s nothing to be concerned about

Yeah not to jump on the cancer wagon but before I got diagnosed with my leukemia I was night sweating like a monster. Changing sheets upwards of 3 times a night.

Just get a quick and dirty CBC done or a full panel, up to you. Though with the infrequency of it, I don’t know. However- blood work is probably the best route with thyroid panels, iodine and D3 levels too

Thanks guys. I probably could use a physical anyways. I’ll get this done sooner than later.

As a FYI, I didn’t get night sweats all last week and then last night, BAM lol. But for some reason, I knew it was going to happen last night when I went to bed. Extremely weird.

[quote]ZJStrope wrote:
Thanks guys. I probably could use a physical anyways. I’ll get this done sooner than later.

As a FYI, I didn’t get night sweats all last week and then last night, BAM lol. But for some reason, I knew it was going to happen last night when I went to bed. Extremely weird.

[/quote]
Hay bro, just checking to see if you went to the Dr.s and how you are doing?

I was wondering the same thing.

Haven’t gone to the doctor’s yet. I’m a super busy person and am always behind lol. The night sweats aren’t really new. Been having them off and on for a few years now. I have gone to the doc in the past and they said nothing was wrong with me, but I need to go in for a physical soon anyways so I’ll broach that when the time comes.

What I really need to do is see if I can correlate the night sweats with anything. Pull out the scientist in me.

That’s really nice of you guys to check in. I promise to update this as I find out anything.

[quote]ZJStrope wrote:
Haven’t gone to the doctor’s yet. I’m a super busy person and am always behind lol. The night sweats aren’t really new. Been having them off and on for a few years now. I have gone to the doc in the past and they said nothing was wrong with me, but I need to go in for a physical soon anyways so I’ll broach that when the time comes.

What I really need to do is see if I can correlate the night sweats with anything. Pull out the scientist in me.

That’s really nice of you guys to check in. I promise to update this as I find out anything. [/quote]

Take some time out for yourself, make an appointment and go! I get to my Doctor once a year for blood work, grab a script for my “T” and sleeping pills, bitch about the kids and wife. lol (Doc’s a friend of the family)

Last year I pointed out a spot on my finger and he said we should have it checked out. It was a small section of skin cancer. We caught it very early; so early the surgeon said he was surprised it was cancerous and that was on of the earliest ones he’s seen. He sent me home and said, you won’t have a problem with that one again.

The take away here is I would have never gone out to my doctors for “Just That”. Let me tell you, an ounce of prevention is well worth a pound of cure. One trip to you local G.P. and Quest Diagnostics could save you months of radiation and chemo; maybe even your life.

[quote]ZJStrope wrote:

Wanted to know what YOUR experiences were and if you had a good doctor that helped you out with it. [/quote]

Get an allergy test done.

A friend of mine had a similar problem, only that it wasn’t just night sweats, he was soaking all day long. He had an allergy test which showed that he shouldn’t be eating wheat. After removing wheat from his diet the sweating stopped instantly.