T Nation

night feeding update

Hey guys,

I just wanted to post an update. I have been drinking protein shakes between 2 & 3:00 a.m. for 1 week and have gained 5 pounds. Yes, I did gain some bodyfat, but I am still quite pleased with the results. I have never gained more than 2 pounds in a week.
How is everyone else doing?

Rob

5 pounds in week that is great!!
muscle is much more heavy than fat so i would think that it was mostly muscle. wear did you notice the fat??
and what kind of protien and how much??
dont be stingy…lol…

I weigh myself every Saturday morning and take measurements at the same time. I gained about 1/2 an inch around my waist.(ugh)
I have been using 1 scoop of whey protein in 12 ounces of milk with a spoonfull of cottage cheese.

Ever consider ditching the milk?

i would not ditch the milk,but i would go with nonfat milk and cottage cheese.

I suggested ditching the milk because the lactose carbs aren’t really doing anything good for you. Liver glycogen replenishment only, and so forth.

I have always found night feedings to be real useful for putting on the size. I used to eat chicken and a banana washed down with a big glass of water, but now I just pre-mix a shake before bed and gulp it down without even having to really wake up.

I will take measurements again on Saturday and probably make adjustments from there. I have cut back on daytime calories a bit this week.

Rob

Hey Guys,
I have been doing the nighttime feeding for the past few weeks and I really like it! I started by using one scoop of whey with non-fat milk. But, I dont like the idea of ingesting all the carbs in the middle of the night, so I switched to water. I also drink a shake before I go to bed (about half an hour before I hit the sack)…but with milk. Take care and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

This sounds like something I might like to try. I would personally keep the carbs low, but what is everyone’s opinion on fat content? For instance, would you ever add 2 tablespoons of flax or olive oil for your nighttime shake?

O.K. Guys.
I gained another pound or two.(I really need a digital scale).Also gained 1/8th inch around waist. I am sure all of the holiday fudge and cookies I have been eating aren’t helping. I guess this is kind of bad time of year to experiment.
I think I will cut out the milk and try just water with protein and cottage cheese. Anyone else experiencing similar results?
Rob