Night eating

I often find myself waking up hungry in the middle of the night. What would be the best things to eat at this time?

I have the same problem. I usually try to shoot for a scoop of protein powder in milk or a low carb bar.

when i eat in the middle of the night, it is some form of low-carb protein (either grow or cottage cheese) with some flax mixed in. i think it best to stick with small protein and efa meals at this time.

Hey DM,

there have been several articles written here at T-mag about nightime feeding…try the search engine for the articles. Personally, I drink a protein shake with water when I get up to take piss in the middle of the night. I make it before I go to bed, put it in the fridge and when I wake up at like 2-3 AM…I down in before I head back to bed. I have also heard several people state that they eat some fat free cottage cheese in the middle of the night too! I guess it all depends on what your goals are! What are they by the way?

Hi, Don. I can’t think of anything better than straight protein. It doesn’t matter whether you’re cutting or bulking, my answer is the same. Take a look at the article, “Stop the Catabolic Insanity,” a few issues back. It’s about the benefits of night feedings.

On a practical level, you can either whip up an MRP or just grab something out of the fridge. It’s not a bad idea to have some roast beef, chicken and pork available for meals and snacking.

Protein shake!

Try having a protein shake containing 50 or more grams of 60-80% casein protein. Quite filling and could be beneficial for building muscle, as well.

Read this Strength Training, Bodybuilding & Online Supplement Store - T NATION

Protein shake (Preferably with mostly casein protein in it) with flax oil wouldn’t be bad.

Check out the several nighttime feeding articles that were writen recently here on t-mag. Personally, I make a protein shake with water right before I go to bed and put it in the fridge. When I get up in the middle of the night to take a piss, I just down the shake real quick and go right to bed. Sometimes I dont even realize I drank it!! I have also heard several people state that they will down some fat free cottage cheese also. But your best bet is to get a protein powder and get one ready before bed. I also eat six egg whites and a low carb protein drink right before bed also!

IMO P+F is the way to go for a night time meal. I get up every night around 3 or 4 to take a leak, and take the opportunity to down one of my standard (premade and refrigerated) P+F shakes: 1.5 scoops of chocolate GROW, about a half cup of cottage cheese, 1 tablespoon of flax oil, and 1 scoop of almond butter.