Nigeria Complains about District 9

"Abuja, Nigeria (AP) - One of the summer’s biggest blockbusters - a sci-fi morality tale about aliens and apartheid - is not welcome in Nigeria because of its portrayal of Nigerians as gangsters and cannibals, Nigeria’s information minister said Saturday. Information Minister Dora Akunyili has asked movie houses in the capital of Abuja to stop screening “District 9” because the South Africa-based sci-fi movie about aliens and discrimination makes Nigerians look bad. “We have directed that they should stop public screening of the film,” she said. “We are not happy about it because it portrays Nigeria in bad light…”

LMAO!

As if Nigerians have a really upstanding reputation in South Africa, or anywhere else for that matter.

That’s what they get for spamming people’s email accounts.

That movie was semi-ridiculous in its depiction of some members of the African-American community. I do think that is was used to make comments on contemporary society, and might be making an attempt to highlight some of our cultures wrong doings through such depictions, but there were definitely spots in the movie that were borderline absurd.

I did like the movie, but I do agree, if there are people looking to get upset about it, there are definitely plenty of spots to do so. Was it simply to be entertaining, or were they looking to draw attention to problematic facets of society?

Either way, if you want an entertaining sci-fi movie, go see it, or if you want to get angry at society and its depictions, go see it.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:
That movie was semi-ridiculous in its depiction of some members of the African-American community. I do think that is was used to make comments on contemporary society, and might be making an attempt to highlight some of our cultures wrong doings through such depictions, but there were definitely spots in the movie that were borderline absurd.

I did like the movie, but I do agree, if there are people looking to get upset about it, there are definitely plenty of spots to do so. Was it simply to be entertaining, or were they looking to draw attention to problematic facets of society?

Either way, if you want an entertaining sci-fi movie, go see it, or if you want to get angry at society and its depictions, go see it.[/quote]

You are aware of District 6, right?

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:
That movie was semi-ridiculous in its depiction of some members of the African-American community.[/quote]

If they’re in Nigeria, they’re Nigerian not American.

it did depict Nigerians poorly, a Nigerian didn’t even tell one of the prawns that he was the prince of Zimbabwe and that he’d trade him 300,000 Nigerian cat foods for 100,000 American cat foods.

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
WestCoast7 wrote:

Either way, if you want an entertaining sci-fi movie, go see it, or if you want to get angry at society and its depictions, go see it.

You are aware of District 6, right?[/quote]

No, wasn’t aware of District 6, what is it? Probably should have learned about that before the movie huh?

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:
RSGZ wrote:
WestCoast7 wrote:

No, wasn’t aware of District 6, what is it? Probably should have learned about that before the movie huh?[/quote]

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:
That movie was semi-ridiculous in its depiction of some members of the African-American community. [/quote]

There were Americans in District 9?

…so?

Nigerians have a bad reputation as far East as Hong Kong and Indonesia.

I second the OP’s ElMao.

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
WestCoast7 wrote:
RSGZ wrote:
WestCoast7 wrote:

No, wasn’t aware of District 6, what is it? Probably should have learned about that before the movie huh?

District Six - Wikipedia [/quote]

Thanks for enlightening me, now the movies point and purpose is much clearer, that makes me like it even more.

What’s wrong with Nigerians? Hell, I just got a really nice email from a Nigerian dude who said if I gave him $10,000 as a transfer fee, he would deposit over a million dollars into my bank account that I just gained from an oil investment I made! I don’t even remember making the investment, but what a nice guy he was to remind me so that I wouldn’t lose out on my million bucks. Those Nigerians are really something special!

[quote]RSGZ wrote:

"Abuja, Nigeria (AP) - One of the summer’s biggest blockbusters - a sci-fi morality tale about aliens and apartheid - is not welcome in Nigeria because of its portrayal of Nigerians as gangsters and cannibals, Nigeria’s information minister said Saturday. Information Minister Dora Akunyili has asked movie houses in the capital of Abuja to stop screening “District 9” because the South Africa-based sci-fi movie about aliens and discrimination makes Nigerians look bad. “We have directed that they should stop public screening of the film,” she said. “We are not happy about it because it portrays Nigeria in bad light…”

LMAO!

As if Nigerians have a really upstanding reputation in South Africa, or anywhere else for that matter.[/quote]

A movie made Africans look bad, WTF! That never happens!

Nigeria eh… not on my list of must-see destinations, thats for sure.

[quote]50_Caliber wrote:
WestCoast7 wrote:
That movie was semi-ridiculous in its depiction of some members of the African-American community.

If they’re in Nigeria, they’re Nigerian not American.

[/quote]

otherwise known as an African-African

I thought it made the white people controling the weapons and governement look the worst. It has been a while since I saw it but I remember some gangsters and the general populace just didnt like the fucking aliens right, what parts are they mad about really? People need to lighten up movies are jusst for entertainment. If I got pissed everytime a white guy was made to look retarded or evil I would still be on a killing spree.

[quote]mcstoots082 wrote:
I thought it made the white people controling the weapons and governement look the worst. It has been a while since I saw it but I remember some gangsters and the general populace just didnt like the fucking aliens right, what parts are they mad about really? People need to lighten up movies are jusst for entertainment. If I got pissed everytime a white guy was made to look retarded or evil I would still be on a killing spree.[/quote]

Exactly.

There are countless films where people from all countries and backgrounds are displayed in a bad light.

I think the Nigerians are just upset because there is truth to this.

I remember back when I was in elementary school, before interwebz was huge, my dad received a snail mail from Nigeria. It was a total scam but the written English was decent and the Nigerian stamp was pretty cool lookin. The kids these days just don’t have the dedication that their parents had.

If Nigeria wants to have a good rep maybe their top two Exports shouldn’t be Scams and AIDS.

I used to work with a Nigerian and even he said he didn’t trust his own family. He remembered his uncles stealing and scamming from him and his siblings when they were kids. Then he would get punished by his parents for being stupid enough to fall for the scams.