T Nation

Nicotine

Does anyone if nicoteen will screw with any supplements or effect you by working out, I dont smoke so my lungs are fine, but i do chew, just wondering if it effects your workout in anyway.

I think it does. I’m a chronicaly relapsing smoker and there are some serious differences in recovery that I have noticed when I do compared to when I don’t. I think it may have to do with the nicotinamide-adenosine di-nucleotide receptors being blocked, but I need to do some more investigation of that.And quit while I’m at it.

Some studies have shown that nicotine will actually reduce the amount of nutrients that are utilized by the body, this is part of why when people stop, they gain fat, because food is being able to get in to your system better.
BRANDON

There was a study a few years ago with athletes that chewed and didn’t chew at a university. Overall strength and power were both significantly lower in the chewers.

[quote]bikemike wrote:
There was a study a few years ago with athletes that chewed and didn’t chew at a university. Overall strength and power were both significantly lower in the chewers.[/quote]

I think i saw the same study, but the findings were skewed. They didn’t adjust the nicotine level of the chewers (adjust the amout of chew) to see if it effected strength and/or power.

I guess that doesn’t help you with the original question, but felt it was important you know the study was skewed.

I think nicotine is for idiots, but I did know a very good competitive bodybuilder who would cover himself in nicotine patches when cutting for a competition- to reduce hunger pangs and to speed up metabolism.