T Nation

Nick's Log

I’ll start off with a little info about myself. I’m 6’, 190lbs and have only been lifting weights since the beginning of February. I started out about 210, did the VDiet and now I’m sitting around 190. I have been going to the gym pretty steady since I started only missing the odd workout. I haven’t been following any routine; I’ve just been going and lifting weights.

Starting tomorrow I’ll be following the Stripped Down Hypertrophy program that was designed by Joel Marion.

http://www.T-Nation.com/article/bodybuilding/stripped_down_hypertrophy&cr=bodybuilding

So tomorrow I’ll be doing:

Group 1 5x5
A1) Flat Bench Press
A2) Bent Over BB Row
B) Lunge

Group 2 4x10
A1) Wide Grip Dip
A2) Pullup
B) Deadlift

The workouts are supposed to take around 40 minutes each, 5 days a week. I plan on going Mon/Tue and Thur/Fri/Sat but I will have to make exceptions based on my work schedule. I had an interview for a new job last week, so if I get the job it will be easy to go to the gym this often.

Wish me luck, and any advice or comments are welcome.

Thanks,
Nick

Well the workout today went excellent, I felt great.

4BCAA’s before
Group 1 5x5
A1)Bench: 1x12(95lbs), 1x8(135), 2x5(155), 1x5(145), 1x4(135), 1x3(135)
A2)BB Row: 2x12(75), 1x5(115), 2x5(125), 2x5(115)
B)Lunge: 1x5(50), 2x5(55), 2x5(40)

5min break + 2BCAAS’s

Group 2 4x10(I forgot about switching the reps and sets until I got to the deadlift)
A1)Dip: 5x5
A2)Pullup: 3x5, 1x2 (I was really weak on these I had to hop from the ground to get some of my last reps) I had to use palms facing grip
B)Deadlift: 1x15(25), 4x10(75)

1.5 Scoops Surge Recovery

I did one set of A1 and went direclty to A2, alternating betweem them. I used 30s rest after doing A1/A2. For lunges I switched to 45s between sets because I needed the rest.

I noticed I am really weak on my pullups and I’m supposed to be doing 4x10 tomorrow. There’s no way I can do 10 in a row and will have trouble doing even two sets of them, what should I do?

I was also thinking that I was adjusting the weight too much in group 1, but I was really trying to shoot for 5reps of each exercise, and I can’t use the same weight for all 5 sets.

Well I’m new to weightlifting, I’m sure I"ll figure it out, lol.

Diet/Nutrition so far:

Breakfast: 4 hardboiled eggs, 1 cup oatmeal, 2 Flameout caps.
Snack: Stirfry (Chicken, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Shrimp, Sugar Snap peas, carrots)
PWO: 1.5 Scoops Original Surge
Lunch: Stirfry (Same except I added 1/2 onion and evoo)
Snack: 1/2 a steak and piece of cheese
Snack: 2 Scoops Whey, 1 scoop Superfood, 2tbs milled flax
Bed Snack: 2 Scoops Metabolic Drive, handful blueberries, 2tbs milled flax

I’m keeping track of my diet on fitday.

Totals 2248-Cals 108-Fat 107-Carbs 216-Protein

I’m not sure what my maintenance calories are, but I think 2250 seems a little low. Protein intake is pretty close to what I’m shooting for.

Advice/Criticism welcome!

The best way to get better at pull-ups, is to do pull-ups. An alternative would be to do negative pull-ups, which can help. If you can’t get them all in 2 sets, either do as many as you can in each set, or do more sets until you get all the pull-ups you need.

[quote]darwin420 wrote:
The best way to get better at pull-ups, is to do pull-ups. An alternative would be to do negative pull-ups, which can help. If you can’t get them all in 2 sets, either do as many as you can in each set, or do more sets until you get all the pull-ups you need.[/quote]

Thats what I figured. I’m just going to try to do as many as I can, although my arms killed today and I could hardly do any.

I felt surprisingly good today at the gym except for being so sore.

4BCAA’s before
Group 1 4x10
Bench: 1x15(65), 1x10(95), 3x10(115), 1x7(115) - I could only get rep 8 up halfway and couldn’t do the last two
Row: 1x5(45), 4x10(75)
Lunge: 1x10(30), 1x10(35), 1x10(30) - Tried to go with 35 but it was a bit much

Drank 1/2 my Surge
Group 2 5x5
Dip: 3x5, 1x4, 1x4 - Arms were very sore today
Pullups(Palms facing grip, my gym doesn’t have a straight bar to use): 1x5, 1x4
Deadlift: 1x10(25), 1x10(75), 1x5(95), 4x5(115)
Finished Surge

Diet/Nutrition:

Breakfast: 4 hardboiled eggs, banana, 2 Flameout (Going to add a shake in here tomorrow, I need more calories)
PWO: 1.5 scoops original Surge
Late lunch: Stirfry
Supper: Homemade clubhouse/burger
Bedtime snack: 1.5 scoops Grow! Whey, 2 scoops Metabolic Drive, 2tbsp milled flax, 1 scoop Superfood

Totals 2417-Cals 90-Fat 152-Carbs 242-Protein

I wasn’t feeling too well today. I’m going to add some more food at breakfast and try to take some snacks with me to work during the day tomorrow.

Gym: Walked on a treadmill for 1.5hours
4BCAA’s before + 4 after

Diet/Nutrition:

Breakfast: 4eggs + banana
Snacked on 1.5cups of whole almonds throughout the day
Lunch: Grilled chicken garden salad with extra grilled chicken
Supper: 1/2 a steak, 1 pork chop
Bedtime Snack: 1 scoop Grow!, 2 Scoops Metabolic Drive, 1 scoop Superfood, 2tbsp milled flax

2508-Cals 154-Fat 80-Carbs 199-Protein

I was planning on doing HIIT a few days a week, but there is no way my legs are up for it. I’ll just be spending more time walking outside or on the treadmill instead.

Couple questions: Does it matter what time of day I take Superfood? Can I add some Grow! whey to my pwo drink, or should I just stick with the Surge? Anyone have some input on the amount of BCAA’s I’m taking around my workouts?