Nice Pull Up, Brah

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
You’d be amazed at how many people can’t actually chin themselves 5 times. [/quote]

After 3 shoulder procedures I still can, and from a dead hang, with no kip. @Crossfit come at me brah!!

In the name of a 100 pull up challenge, those aren’t pull-ups.

In the way of cardio using the upper body (whatever that is - it seems weird writing it), that was no easy feat. I am quite sure I couldn’t get my chin above the bar doing any number of kicks, contorts or otherwise. Plus, she got a shoulder and trap pump. Look, I think she would be better off doing a 5 X 5 with good form but still that was freakin’ hard.

people bash on/talk shit about things that they dont like… whats new here?

the goal of the xfit “pull ups” and traditional/normal pull ups is different. that “100 pull ups” is definitely more of a conditioning exercise. I doubt anyone in this thread could do it faster than she did, kipping, contorting, “butterflying”, whatevering that you want to call it.

people, in general, are way too negative

[quote]gregron wrote:

the goal of the xfit “pull ups” and traditional/normal pull ups is different. that “100 pull ups” is definitely more of a conditioning exercise. I doubt anyone in this thread could do it faster than she did, kipping, contorting, “butterflying”, whatevering that you want to call it.

people, in general, are way too negative[/quote]

It just shouldn’t be called pullups, that’s all.

[quote]doogie wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

[/quote]

I agree. I just gave credit to the chick and gave the benefit of the doubt to the guy making the video. He is the one that titled and loaded it probably.

Whose up for posting their video of 100 “chin above the bar” by any method necessary?

[quote]gregron wrote:

you do know you’re being negative yourself. and i can think of better conditioning exercises undisguised as “pull ups”.

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

you do know you’re being negative yourself. and i can think of better conditioning exercises undisguised as “pull ups”. [/quote]

lol

[quote]gregron wrote:

Theres also evidence supporting the idea that kipping pullups are likely to cause labrum tears in flexible or detrained individuals, i.e. they are a shitty choice of movement if your goal is conditioning.

The other silly one is handstand pushups on freely hanging rings with your feet wrapped around the rope. I always get a good laugh out of it.

Putting these things in “metcons” or conditioning workouts is plain dumb IMHO. They are skills, relatively easy ones compared to real gymnastics, that can be performed at a high level by just getting strong at pullups and pressing, having a high degree of an/aerobic conditioning, and practicing them as accessory work.

If you want to get hot, sweaty, and a feeling of impending nausea, go run hills, push a prowler, toss a sandbag around, or what not. Then add a liberal amount of strength work, and watch your fran time magically decrease.

FTR, I AM NOT a crossfit guy. I’ve posted several times about the reasons that Im not a fan… I just feel like bashing something that you do not like just because it seems to be the “cool thing to do” doesnt make sense.

just FYI

yeah but since we already have 5000 exercises that we can do there should be a distinction between pul ups, chin ups, kipping pull ups and kipping chin ups and whatever we will call what that woman was doing…how about Snake Lady Kippy Wipes?

[quote]gregron wrote:
FTR, I AM NOT a crossfit guy. I’ve posted several times about the reasons that Im not a fan… I just feel like bashing something that you do not like just because it seems to be the “cool thing to do” doesnt make sense.

just FYI[/quote]

But is it still cool to be on the “I hate France” band wagon? Not that I’m on it or anything. I tried to get on but it was full.

[quote]doogie wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

[/quote]

This.

What she did was impressive in many regards, but the fact the video’s opening title sequence is “100 Pullups for Time” is crap.

[quote]CC wrote:

[quote]doogie wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

[/quote]

This.

What she did was impressive in many regards, but the fact the video’s opening title sequence is “100 Pullups for Time” is crap.[/quote]

x2 (or 3 I guess). I admit can’t do whatever the hell she was doing but don’t go calling it a pullup.

My roommate came home today with a freshly torn up hand courtesy of kipping pull ups, apparently it hurts if the slightest bit of water gets on it…serves her right.

[quote]JaseHxC wrote:
My roommate came home today with a freshly torn up hand courtesy of kipping pull ups, apparently it hurts if the slightest bit of water gets on it…serves her right.[/quote]

My wife has been doing CF for almost 2 years now and she loves it for its results to her body. She goes through a pair of workout gloves about every 3 months so her hands dont get destroyed. Just a suggestion for your friend.

Were you being sarcastic or serious about serving her right?

^^I dont think he was. Bashing on Crossfit is the cool thing to do

[quote]gregron wrote:
^^I dont think he was. Bashing on Crossfit is the cool thing to do [/quote]

No he is a pretty cool guy who chooses a different lifestyle (vegan) you would think someone like that would not bash someone else’s choice of workout, Right? So I was thinking he was being sarcastic.

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

No he is a pretty cool guy who chooses a different lifestyle (vegan) you would think someone like that would not bash someone else’s choice of workout, Right? So I was thinking he was being sarcastic.[/quote]

Sarcasm fully intended, she’s moving out soon and kind of announced it last minute putting me in a bit of a jam. My only issue with Crossfit is it’s cult like followers, as an exercise program (when used correctly) I believe it has it’s benefits as long as someone is willing to accept that it also has many flaws.

Also, thank you for somewhat defending my lifestyle choices…not used to that on here for the most part.

[quote]JaseHxC wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

No he is a pretty cool guy who chooses a different lifestyle (vegan) you would think someone like that would not bash someone else’s choice of workout, Right? So I was thinking he was being sarcastic.[/quote]

Sarcasm fully intended, she’s moving out soon and kind of announced it last minute putting me in a bit of a jam. My only issue with Crossfit is it’s cult like followers, as an exercise program (when used correctly) I believe it has it’s benefits as long as someone is willing to accept that it also has many flaws.

Also, thank you for somewhat defending my lifestyle choices…not used to that on here for the most part.[/quote]

Well kind of like Vegans and there cult type members. :slight_smile:

People are people they get what I call “religion” that being diet, exercise, music or movies and they love there choices and want every one to enjoy the choices they made. When people dont and point out the flaws the claws come out.

And for defending you some what, I can respect people who do it for themselves and still remember to be grounded and respect others.

Don’t know if I’d call it a chin up nor a pull up but if she can move like that in the sack, she can call it whatever she wants.