T Nation

Niacin Make Hulk Mad

Holy shit,

So I went to Wal-Mart today and picked up some Niacin (all they had were 500mg) and popped one 40 minutes before my workout. On my way there I start itching all over and my body feels warm to the touch.

When I saw myself in the locker room mirror I looked like a red version of the incredible hulk. Is this normal?

Anyway, the reason I picked the shit up was because I am on a quest to get a little more vascular and wanted to try this shit out, Hard to tell since it was leg day today but I’ll keep ya posted on the results!

You have just discovered why niacin is not used for its therapeutic properties very often (decreasing cholesterol levels, decreasing blood pressure, ect). You wanted more vascularity? Well you opened up capillaries all over your body (redness) which irritated nearby cells, thus releasing histamine (redness, itching). Tough side affect of niacin.

this my friend, is called a niacin flush.

There are time release niacin capsules, which supposedly do not “do” the flush.

However, I’ve heard that it is not “good” for the liver. Can anyone elaborate?

Also, if you take a multi that actually dissolves, and it has 150% (30 units of measure, whatever it is) of your daily value, is it wise to supplement with more of it? (like the OP?)

[quote]FutureDoc wrote:
You have just discovered why niacin is not used for its therapeutic properties very often (decreasing cholesterol levels, decreasing blood pressure, ect). You wanted more vascularity? Well you opened up capillaries all over your body (redness) which irritated nearby cells, thus releasing histamine (redness, itching). Tough side affect of niacin. [/quote]

Other than the discomfort though, there is nothing for me to worry about healthwise, right??

also at 500mg/day, how long would you incorporate this supplement for??

Haha, I tried something with niacin in it a few years back and was thinking holy wtf?!?! when I had those symptoms until I learned it was the niacin.

Day-2 with Niacin - Upper Body Day - Didn’t notice any increased vascularity, but the whole body still gets Blood red!!

I wonder if this stuff supercharges the metabolism because of the heat my body gives off during the “flush”!

I laughed.

Thanks.

500mg Niacin +2 advil = Calm Bruce Banner!

Is this combination advised??