NHL vs. NFL 40 Yard?

[quote]eic wrote:

Whether it settles the matter or not, I want to point out that neither one–the skater or the sprinter–would reach top speed in 40 yards. The sprinter is perhaps much closer to his top speed, however.
[/quote]

I’m not questioning your knowledge but I’d like to see some data on that. Especially the 40 on grass.

[quote]derek wrote:
eic wrote:

Whether it settles the matter or not, I want to point out that neither one–the skater or the sprinter–would reach top speed in 40 yards. The sprinter is perhaps much closer to his top speed, however.

I’m not questioning your knowledge but I’d like to see some data on that. Especially the 40 on grass.
[/quote]

http://www.elitetrack.com/articles/maximumspeed.pdf

Usually the fastest split is between 50-60m. However, that is obviously not the 40 on grass. The athlete’s top speed would surely come in to account here, but I’d imagine the NFL’s representative would be someone with a very high top speed and thus probably wouldn’t be hitting top speed until about 40-50 yards or so, even on grass.

I like etaco’s idea. I think there are a few hockey players here, me included, who can skate a few 40’s on the ice then go run a few 40’s on turf and post their results. Granted we are probably not world class but the results might be interesting. I’ll do it in the next week or so and post my results, anyone else?

[quote]Hanley wrote:
derek wrote:
Koing wrote:
No contest in a 40yd race. The NFL guy wins as he isn’t on ice!

60yd the NFL guy would win imo. But the longer the race the better the chance the NHL guy will win and he’ll almost certainly win the longer distances.

Koing

I’m not so sure about the “no contest” part. A hockey player basically runs on the ice with his blades angled out so the blades dig in and bite hard.

I think some guys may be picturing a skater “skating” off the start line but he’s actually running on it at first.

I agree. You can build a hell of a lot of speed very quickly on the ice.[/quote]

Hmmmm…I totally take out my ‘no contest’ banter! I was SOMEHOW thinking of the SPEED SKATERS even though it was the NHL for some reason?!

Those guys are F0CKING fast!

But I still give it to the sprinter by a hair though.

Koing

[quote]Koing wrote:
Hmmmm…I totally take out my ‘no contest’ banter! I was SOMEHOW thinking of the SPEED SKATERS even though it was the NHL for some reason?!

Those guys are F0CKING fast!

But I still give it to the sprinter by a hair though.

Koing[/quote]

this is probably the way it would go down. i did an ‘unofficial’ clock of martin st louis at about 4.4 seconds for 40 yards. i had to eyeball 40 yards since there’s no 40 yard marking on the nhl ice surface (the distance from goal line to far blue line is 38 yards).

i don’t know much about football, but it seems like 4.4 is a pretty fast time for 40 yards. st louis is a VERY fast and explosive skater though, so he’s probably close to a best case scenario. the little question mark in st louis’ performance is that he had to stop about 15 yards from the 40 yard mark to get a puck and start back the other way. it’s possible he could have gone faster if he was going all out in a straight line without the word ‘stop’ in his vocabulary.

i suspect it’d be a close contest for a lot of skaters/sprinters. i’d have to agree with others that as the distance gets longer, the advantage swings heavily in the skater’s favor.

There’s too many factors to determine before exact rules are set up.

For the time being, here’s the best answer I can give.

:smiley:

Haha, this is hilarious. The big white canadians think they could ever screw with a white twitch Defensive back? NFL players are the most explosive strong and athletic athletes in all of the major sports (excluding Lineman, who are just the strongest by far and away) As opposed to some usually white guys from canada who are usually only good because of thier playing sice 4 years old. I know this isnt the absolute or every case senario, im just talking in generalities. If Calvin Johnson or Champ Baily, Chad Johnson, Ladanian Tomlinson…etc. ever raced any fast hockey player on skates. The NFL football player would win. Im sure you could bring several of the authors into this and thy would agree. CT would be a good source as would John Davies or Defranco. The fastest NFL guys would win 9 out of 10 times.

[quote]bantamlb5 wrote:
Haha, this is hilarious. The big white canadians think they could ever screw with a white twitch Defensive back? NFL players are the most explosive strong and athletic athletes in all of the major sports (excluding Lineman, who are just the strongest by far and away) As opposed to some usually white guys from canada who are usually only good because of thier playing sice 4 years old. I know this isnt the absolute or every case senario, im just talking in generalities. If Calvin Johnson or Champ Baily, Chad Johnson, Ladanian Tomlinson…etc. ever raced any fast hockey player on skates. The NFL football player would win. Im sure you could bring several of the authors into this and thy would agree. CT would be a good source as would John Davies or Defranco. The fastest NFL guys would win 9 out of 10 times.[/quote]

Pretty much EVERY canadian plays hockey. They end up creating good players and fast players because the whole damn gene pool plays hockey.

Hmmm in this video it takes about five seconds just to get to the goal line:

I wonder how fast someone like paul kariya accelerates.

[quote]hockechamp14 wrote:
bantamlb5 wrote:
Haha, this is hilarious. The big white canadians think they could ever screw with a white twitch Defensive back? NFL players are the most explosive strong and athletic athletes in all of the major sports (excluding Lineman, who are just the strongest by far and away) As opposed to some usually white guys from canada who are usually only good because of thier playing sice 4 years old. I know this isnt the absolute or every case senario, im just talking in generalities. If Calvin Johnson or Champ Baily, Chad Johnson, Ladanian Tomlinson…etc. ever raced any fast hockey player on skates. The NFL football player would win. Im sure you could bring several of the authors into this and thy would agree. CT would be a good source as would John Davies or Defranco. The fastest NFL guys would win 9 out of 10 times.

Pretty much EVERY canadian plays hockey. They end up creating good players and fast players because the whole damn gene pool plays hockey.

Hmmm in this video it takes about five seconds just to get to the goal line:

I wonder how fast someone like paul kariya accelerates.[/quote]

They werent even going balls out in that video.

I played competitive hockey for about 13 years, the highest level i got was midget AAA (if anyone knows what that is), i also played some high school football. so i think i have some credentials to answer this

anyway i think the skater would win, when you go completely balls out on a start, which you will hardly ever see in a game, you are running on pretty much the toes of your skates, and it dosnt take very long to be at top speed. The speeds you reach in a hockey game cant be reached by anyone running.

Americans and their illusion about athlatisism in american “football” … :smiley:

[quote]bantamlb5 wrote:
Haha, this is hilarious. The big white canadians think they could ever screw with a white twitch Defensive back? NFL players are the most explosive strong and athletic athletes in all of the major sports (excluding Lineman, who are just the strongest by far and away) As opposed to some usually white guys from canada who are usually only good because of thier playing sice 4 years old. I know this isnt the absolute or every case senario, im just talking in generalities. If Calvin Johnson or Champ Baily, Chad Johnson, Ladanian Tomlinson…etc. ever raced any fast hockey player on skates. The NFL football player would win. Im sure you could bring several of the authors into this and thy would agree. CT would be a good source as would John Davies or Defranco. The fastest NFL guys would win 9 out of 10 times.[/quote]

I don’t know who would win but I do know that the decisive difference would not be athleticism but rather the effects of being on ice in skates vs. being in shoes on grass/turf.

Just because someone is white and from Canada doesn’t mean they can’t be fast. Most hockey players are tremendous athletes.

Just fyi, most Olympic weightlifters are white and they have a faster 25 yard dash and a higher VJ than football players.

Short distances will favor the runner. Longer ones will favor the skater.

[quote]bantamlb5 wrote:

that’s clever and all. hockey players only good since they’ve been playing since age 4. since we’re talking about a sprint here though, how long have the football players been walking/running?

anyway, evidence has already been provided to show that it’s a close race at 40 yards. if you want to ignore it, that’s your business.

I think if perfect conditions were created for both athletes, the hockey player would win a decisive amount of the races. For the hockey player, hard ice, stiff skates, small hollow, larger than normal radius. These all can be variable when playing in a game. For the football player, give him sprint spikes, a track suit, and a rocket pack… he’ll probably need it :-p.

check this video too!

There’s some speed!

honestly it would be very close. i played 2 years collegiate football and was a running back and later on speed skated for close to two years as well.

at a 40 yard distance hockey player vs sprinter (football) i’d give 60% to the sprinter. it does depend on the type of sprinter though. Ben Johnson, who still to this to day has the sickest acceleration ever of any athlete would probably win 9 out of 10 ( the guy ran a sub 4 40 yd ). a guy who takes longer to accelerate wouldn’t fare so well vs the hockey player.

as for the fellow who said nfl players are the strongest and most explosive…this label is reserved for olympic lifters my friend…those guys and gals are truly unreal with their strength and power.

First of all, to the moron woh didnt read my post properly. I said were the fastest and most explosive of any of the “popular” sports. That to me or any other triple digit IQ having being, would entail, Basketball, Hockey, Football, Baseball, etc… Not some sport thats on TV with the same frequency as a solar eclipse.

Secocndly, I didnt say that they werent good at thier sport I said hockey players on the whole are a shitload less “athletic” and explosive than NFL players. This is just fact. Neurogically, Muscularly, Speed, Strength, Build, etc…Again, I am making it clear that I am not including offensive lineman or defensive tackles because of thier disproportional freakish size opposed to athletes in any other sport.

Finally, the idiot that likened walking and running since youth compared to hockey players playing since they were little. Let me just destroy that remark very quickly here. Playing hockey since inception, therefore turning the individual eventually into a skilled player is no where in the same hemisphere of saying, that children walking and running since youth will eventually turn them into good football players. Especially NFL calibur athletes.

Talk it up. And if you choose to bash my accurate and precise rebuttles that is just because your wrong and its easy to hate on someone who just shut down every argument that was just stated.

P.S. NHL players are highly skilled and athletic and I realize this, NFL football players are just the best athletes onthe planet genetically, for the most part of course, there are exceptions to any rule.

“First of all, to the moron woh didnt read my post properly. I said were the fastest and most explosive of any of the “popular” sports. That to me or any other triple digit IQ having being, would entail, Basketball, Hockey, Football, Baseball, etc…”

You meant: “the popular sports IN THE USA”…

since you didn’t mention the worlds most popular sport… soccer… :wink: Try to think outside your american box sometimes, it wouldn’t hurt.

good one