NHL Playoffs

Best time of the year is about to start! Let’s hear everyone’s picks for the first round. I’ll start

East:

1. Montreal v 8. Bruins - The Bruins will win in glorious fashion. They were obviously just toying with the Habs all season and lost all 8 games on purpose. It was all part of a psychological ploy. Tim Thomas will prove nothing short of a brick wall while Carey Price will realize he should have stayed in juniors and avoided facing Zdeno Chara’s 103mph slap shot. Patrice Bergeron will come back for game 2 and skate circles around the Canadien’s defense putting up 6 or 7 points in that game alone.

Ok, back to real life. I would love to see the Bruins pull off the mother of all upsets, but I think we all know the likelihood of that happening. Unfortunately, I just can’t bring myself to even face reason and pick Montreal. Bruins in 6 (but they’ll be six hard hitting, violent, passionate games for sure).

1. Pittsburgh v. 7. Ottawa - Ottawa started the season off so strongly, but have just fallen apart the past couple of months. Meanwhile Pittsburgh has been in pretty good form. Should be an interesting matchup though, Sens have the experience, but the Pens have the young talent. I say Penguins in 5.

2. Washington v. 6. Philadelphia - This one’s interesting, the Flyers actually finished with 1 more point than the Capitals, but the Caps won their division, hence the higher seed. That being said, the Caps finished the season on a 9-1 run while the Flyers are the epitome of all that’s wrong with the NHL, the universe, and everything (yes, I’m still bitter about the Bergeron hit). Ovechkin will tear the Flyers to shreds. Capitals in 5.

3. New Jersey v. 5 New York Rangers - This will be a hell of a series. Both teams have a lot of heart. Goaltending is excellent on both sides. Speed, talent, scoring, checking, etc… both teams have it. I think the Devils have the advantage in Brodeur (duh!) but, offensively they don’t shoot the puck enough which will make things easier on Lundqvist. This one will go 7, with New Jersey taking it.

West:
(living in RI, I didn’t get to see much action from the west this year so these predictions aren’t based on nearly as much information. Actually, I’m more or less pulling them out of my ass.)

1. Detroit v. 8. Nashville - Gotta go with Detroit here. Age and injury caught up to them a bit during the season, but they’ve rested some guys up and the experience on that team is just too much for the Predators to deal with. Detroit in 5

2 San Jose v. 7. Calgary - I don’t think I got to see either of these teams play this year. San Jose would be the smart choice, but I just have an issue with a team from California beating a team from Canada. I’ll say Flames in 6.

1. Minnesota v. 6. Colorado - Colorado wins it (no analysis, just personal preference).

2. Anaheim v. 5. Dallas - Ducks win it (same as above).

So that’s me, anyone else have some more well informed opinions of the west? Arguments in the east? However it turns out, it looks like it’s going to be a great post season.

Go Bruins!
Jay

I love the NHL playoffs. The intensity is phenomenal and the level of play is so much higher than in the regular season. My only complaint is that the playoffs (like the regular season) are too long. You get all jacked up this week and then it takes 2 months to wrap it all up.

I wouldn’t mind them shortening the season to 64 games and taking only the top 4 from each conference (3 division winners and one at-large). That being said, I’m really looking forward to this year’s playoffs. I’m sure the NHL and ESPN are licking their lips over a potential Ovechkin-Crosby 2nd round matchup.

Let’s Go Caps!!!

DB

[quote]m0dd3r wrote:

1. New Jersey v. 5 New York Rangers - This will be a hell of a series. Both teams have a lot of heart. Goaltending is excellent on both sides. Speed, talent, scoring, checking, etc… both teams have it. I think the Devils have the advantage in Brodeur (duh!) but, offensively they don’t shoot the puck enough which will make things easier on Lundqvist. This one will go 7, with New Jersey taking it.

Jay[/quote]

I wish I could say Im as confident in my home team as this. A bit bold considering they lost something like 6 out of 7 regular season games to the Rangers this year. If they win I dont see them getting past Washington either, the Flyers however no problem. Regardless, I cant fucking wait. Im planning on getting to at least one game in this series definitely. LETS GO DEVILS!!!

Go Caps! It’s been such a long time since we were any good. We could go real deep this year.

I’m going to save the in-depth analysis for later. Montreal (who is, oddly enough, my favorite team) will be playing against Detroit in the Finals. Detroit is hands down the best team in the league, comparable to the Patriots of the NFL. I think it’s going to a great matchup between “The Human Slinky” and “The Price is Right.” Hall of Fame goaltender vs future Hall of Fame goaltender. What’s better?

I’d love to go with my hometown Sharks but they never make it out of Round 2. I wish they still had that beauty queen Ricci playing for them.

[quote]Padilla7921 wrote:
I’m going to save the in-depth analysis for later. Montreal (who is, oddly enough, my favorite team) will be playing against Detroit in the Finals. Detroit is hands down the best team in the league, comparable to the Patriots of the NFL. I think it’s going to a great matchup between “The Human Slinky” and “The Price is Right.” Hall of Fame goaltender vs future Hall of Fame goaltender. What’s better?[/quote]

Even setting aside my hatred for montreal, I still have to say I think it’s a bit early to call Carey Price a future hall of famer. Don’t get me wrong, he’s pretty damn good, but he’s too young to be making that kind of prediction. Lot’s of guys have had phenomenal rookie seasons only to come back and disappoint the next year or two (i.e. raycroft and toivonnen(sp?)).

That being said, I agree that Detroit has the most talent and probably the best chance of winning it all, if they can stay healthy. The average player age on that team is like 33 or something. That doesn’t bode well after a long season.

[quote]m0dd3r wrote:
Even setting aside my hatred for montreal, I still have to say I think it’s a bit early to call Carey Price a future hall of famer. Don’t get me wrong, he’s pretty damn good, but he’s too young to be making that kind of prediction. Lot’s of guys have had phenomenal rookie seasons only to come back and disappoint the next year or two (i.e. raycroft and toivonnen(sp?)).[/quote]

Yeah, I know it’s early; that’s my pro-Habs bias though. Montreal has a history of goaltenders flopping. Jose Theodore won the MVP a few years back and now he’s in Colorado last time I checked. Cristobal Huet replaced him and was showered with praise, but he was traded earlier this year (I forget to who). Carey Price is now the starter and Jaroslov Halak is backing him up. Hopefully the same fate doesn’t befall Price that has his predecessors.

HABS. They will destroy the Bruins in the first round. 4 games. I don’t know if you guys watched any of the regular season games but the Bruins had no answer for them. The Habs won all 8 games against the Bruins this season (season sweep!). Sure they must be pissed off but they simply can’t skate with Montreal.

As for Carey Price, he is not your normal rookie. He reminds me of a young Patrick Roy. He is used to pressure. In Junior Hockey, he went from backup to starting goaltender (just before the playoffs) and led is team to the Memorial Cup. He also played all 6 games for Canada on their way to a gold medal.

I see the Canadiens beating all the odds this year (preseason odds anyways) and going all the way and winning the Stanley Cup. Pittsburgh will be tough but they will grind it out and win the series.

m0dd3r wrote:
Even setting aside my hatred for montreal, I still have to say I think it’s a bit early to call Carey Price a future hall of famer. Don’t get me wrong, he’s pretty damn good, but he’s too young to be making that kind of prediction. Lot’s of guys have had phenomenal rookie seasons only to come back and disappoint the next year or two (i.e. raycroft and toivonnen(sp?)).

Yeah, I know it’s early; that’s my pro-Habs bias though. Montreal has a history of goaltenders flopping. Jose Theodore won the MVP a few years back and now he’s in Colorado last time I checked. Cristobal Huet replaced him and was showered with praise, but he was traded earlier this year (I forget to who). Carey Price is now the starter and Jaroslov Halak is backing him up. Hopefully the same fate doesn’t befall Price that has his predecessors.[/quote]

Huet was traded to Washington where he’s done quite well. Oh, the irony when he shuts the Habs down in the Eastern Conference finals.

DB

Go Wings!

I hope they don’t disappoint as in the year’s past - have a great season record then get picked off in the first or second round.

That colossal vageen Kovalev will limp across the blue line clutching his arm and forgetting the play entirely again, allowing Boston’s new favourite son, Milan Lucic, to come barelling down the ice, pick up the puck from said vageen, and fire it past that primadonna Carey Price FTW.

I’d rather team fuckin russia win the cup than the god damned montreal canadiens.

Maxim Lapierre - are you serious? Man, if I could take one run at a guy in the league, it’d be that fuckin’ guy.

[quote]NeelyDan wrote:
That colossal vageen Kovalev will limp across the blue line clutching his arm and forgetting the play entirely again, allowing Boston’s new favourite son, Milan Lucic, to come barelling down the ice, pick up the puck from said vageen, and fire it past that primadonna Carey Price FTW.

I’d rather team fuckin russia win the cup than the god damned montreal canadiens.

Maxim Lapierre - are you serious? Man, if I could take one run at a guy in the league, it’d be that fuckin’ guy.[/quote]

LOL. I had a good laugh, thanks.

But what’s wrong with Maxim Lapierre? Please elaborate.

[quote]hit the gym wrote:
HABS. They will destroy the Bruins in the first round. 4 games. I don’t know if you guys watched any of the regular season games but the Bruins had no answer for them. The Habs won all 8 games against the Bruins this season (season sweep!). Sure they must be pissed off but they simply can’t skate with Montreal.

As for Carey Price, he is not your normal rookie. He reminds me of a young Patrick Roy. He is used to pressure. In Junior Hockey, he went from backup to starting goaltender (just before the playoffs) and led is team to the Memorial Cup. He also played all 6 games for Canada on their way to a gold medal.

I see the Canadiens beating all the odds this year (preseason odds anyways) and going all the way and winning the Stanley Cup. Pittsburgh will be tough but they will grind it out and win the series.[/quote]

I saw all 8 of the boston montreal games. The last couple looked a lot better for the B’s. Plus, we’ve got alberts and ferrence back now, and savard, and hopefully bergeron after game one. Plus the Bruins played pretty solid hockey down the stretch to make the playoffs. I only hope the fucking canadiens have the same attitude most their fans and the media do about the series. Bruins will come out swinging.

And don’t get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for Carey Price, I think he’s a phenomenal young goalie. I was just responding to someone calling him a future hall of famer. It’s way too early for that.

Regarding Montreal’s chances of going all the way, I doubt it. Assuming they somehow get past the bruins, I don’t think they can take Pittsburg and Washington. And if they make it too the cup finals, Detroit will tear them to pieces.

And I’m with NeelyDan, Anyone but the fucking canadiens!

GO BRUINS!!!

go wings!

[quote]m0dd3r wrote:
I saw all 8 of the boston montreal games…
GO BRUINS!!![/quote]

Are you insane?! Montreal has outscored Boston 39-16 this year. Price is playing fantastic, Halak is playing just as well. Montreal is a tough team, they play really well. The Bruins, on the other hand…notsomuch.

I look forward to tomorrow night at 7.

GO CANUCKS GO!

[quote]hit the gym wrote:

LOL. I had a good laugh, thanks.

But what’s wrong with Maxim Lapierre? Please elaborate.[/quote]

Dude…honestly? He’s a modern day Kenny Linseman. He’s the definition of a coward, and epitomizes the entire Canadiens club. Remember 4 years ago, when admittedly the Bruins blew a 3-1 series lead, with Ribeiro flopping around like he got hit by Foreman and Kovalev pulling the stunt I mentioned above…that’s what Maxim Lapierre represents.

I seriously couldn’t support my team if they had guys like that. Gimme my lunch bucket Bruins any day of the week.

m0dd3r wrote:
I saw all 8 of the boston montreal games…
GO BRUINS!!!

Are you insane?! Montreal has outscored Boston 39-16 this year. Price is playing fantastic, Halak is playing just as well. Montreal is a tough team, they play really well. The Bruins, on the other hand…notsomuch.

I look forward to tomorrow night at 7.[/quote]

Which point specifically are you questioning my sanity over? Yes, montreal beat the bruins 8 out of 8 this year and outscored them by over 2 goals to 1. Price and Halak are good, so are Thomas and Auld. Montreal has the best powerplay in the league, lots of speed, and great offense, but a “tough” team they’re not. The Bruins have a big, hard hitting defense (plus Milan Lucic) who will do a serious number on those prancing habs forwards. They’ve also got guys like Krejci, Savard, and Bergeron (hopefully) who can make plays and set up guys like Sturm and Kessel to put puck to net.

Every hockey fan knows that the game is different in the playoffs and regular season records and head to head stats don’t matter much. I see this matchup as a standoff between old timey hockey (the Bruins) and the new NHL (montreal). I don’t know what’s going to happen, but I can assure you, you’re severely underestimating the Bruins if you don’t think they’re a tough team who plays well.

Whatever, we’ll see what happens in about 8 hours. God I’m too excited to be at work

GO BRUINS!

Says it all…