NHL Lockout Thread

Vent frustrations here.

It will give you an opportunity to watch a superior sport (basketball).

I was a Leaf fan until the lockout struck in 2004 and I started watching more Raptors game. Haven’t watched hockey since except for the Canada Gold medal game.

It sucks? At least (the sport that masquerades as football) is on for the moment?

It’s not officially a lockout til games are missed IMO.

New York Rangers are my favorite team bar none. I am extremely upset. This sux. It’ll give Gaborik more time to recover from his surgery…only consolation in this mess…And Sidney Crosby is talking about playing over in Europe if the lockout continues…Maybe…more ice…more safe…but I personally think he should sit his ass down instead of taking chances…

I don’t get why they keep having lockouts in the NHL every fucking 5 years. The players aren’t overpaid. I’m a Boston Bruins fan and the Bruins this off season have resigned Lucic, Marshawn, and Seguin and all of the contracts seemed to be fair priced/length.

Owners are never satisfied.

If I were the UFC (smaller MMA organizations included as well) I’d be scheduling as many shows as possible in Canada. Without the NHL people are going to be aching for some entertainment and MMA has become one of this countries biggest interests. Big money to be made!

With that being said, I’ve only be interested in International league play for years now so this strike does not affect me in the slightest really.

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:
I don’t get why they keep having lockouts in the NHL every fucking 5 years. The players aren’t overpaid. I’m a Boston Bruins fan and the Bruins this off season have resigned Lucic, Marshawn, and Seguin and all of the contracts seemed to be fair priced/length.
[/quote]

I find it hard to believe that you’re a bruins fan when you can’t even spell their names correctly. Do you mean Brad Marchand?

[quote]Rico Suave wrote:

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:
[/quote]

I find it hard to believe that you’re a bruins fan when you can’t even spell their names correctly. Do you mean Brad Marchand?
[/quote]
nah bro Marshawn Lynch bro get yer facts straight.

Last three seasons have been plenty of fun, different cup winners and all kinds of rivalries re-sparked. The Winter Classic games on NBC with the accompanying 24/7’s that HBO produced really seemed to be sitting well with fans too.

This new lockout is incredibly untimely.

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:
Last three seasons have been plenty of fun, different cup winners and all kinds of rivalries re-sparked. The Winter Classic games on NBC with the accompanying 24/7’s that HBO produced really seemed to be sitting well with fans too.

This new lockout is incredibly untimely.[/quote]

No kidding! I have tickets for this years Winter Classic… that game best be going on or I will be hella disappointed. go wings!

This is pure speculation, but i wouldn’t be surprised if the first game of the year is the ‘Winter Classic’ just because of the popularity of it since its inception

[quote]therajraj wrote:

I was a Leaf fan until the lockout struck in 2004 and I started watching more Raptors game. Haven’t watched hockey since except for the Canada Gold medal game.[/quote]

If I were a Leaf’s fan I’d probably watch basketball too.

[quote]Rico Suave wrote:

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:
[/quote]

[/quote]

Just don’t call him “Marshmont”, he gets pissed.

I will agree though that all of the Bruin’s extensions seem very reasonable. Still pissed about that Kelly contract though. Thanks to that there is a pretty good chance Horton or Krejci won’t be Bruins after this season.

AS for the lockout, if they don’t get things resolved quickly(before the official start of the regular season)my guess is we won’t see any NHL hockey until next season. Starting with the Winter Classic wouldn’t work because they would have to re-write the whole season schedule on the fly to accommodate enough games within each team’s division. Not to mention that venues aren’t just going to move events around because the NHL couldn’t get it’s shit together. I just don’t see it happening, nor do I see there being any agreement before the start of the regular season.

I honestly hope that in the new CBA they write a clause that when that CBA expires, should an agreement not be reached between the NHL and NHLPA, the upcoming season is played while they negotiate the new CBA, under the same terms as the previous season, or until a new CBA is reached. They have to do something or there will be a lockout every 8 years.

Rage. That is all.

[quote]i_am_ketosis wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

I was a Leaf fan until the lockout struck in 2004 and I started watching more Raptors game. Haven’t watched hockey since except for the Canada Gold medal game.[/quote]

If I were a Leaf’s fan I’d probably watch basketball too. [/quote]

on the upside for leafs fans…

they will now have a chance to go undefeated

They need figure something out. They lost a ton of fans from the last lockout, and i dont think the NHL can survive another long lockout.

[quote]Aggv wrote:
They need figure something out. They lost a ton of fans from the last lockout, and i dont think the NHL can survive another long lockout. [/quote]

I tend to agree with you, but the numbers tell another story. With the exception of the expansion teams in terrible markets, just about all of the clubs have seen consistent financial growth since 2004. I think this is the main motivation behind the owners, they see 8 years of growth, they want a bigger return. Hockey fans are pretty bonkers though, and while that passion is a good thing most of the time, I think it works against them when there is a lockout. They will lose fans for sure if they don’t get something going asap, and the already struggling franchises are doomed if there is no hockey this season.

I was talking about the casual fan (most US markets) Hockey will always be well supported in Canada, but like you mentioned some of the markets will no doubt lose a lot if this continues. Hockey players are already the lowest paid of the major league sports, just give them their money.

[quote]Aggv wrote:
I was talking about the casual fan (most US markets) Hockey will always be well supported in Canada, but like you mentioned some of the markets will no doubt lose a lot if this continues. Hockey players are already the lowest paid of the major league sports, just give them their money. [/quote]

The ironic thing is that hockey players are the lowest paid athletes, yet the teams they play for are some of the most profitable organizations in sports. Notice I said “profitable”. For example, the Dallas Cowboys are one of the richest organizations in the world, and the second richest sports team in the world with a value of just over $2 billion. Last season they pulled in about $225 million in profits. On the other hand, my Boston Bruins are worth $250 million, and pulled in $130 million last season in profits. Figure that one out.