NHL 2010-2011

That series is the fucking tits. HBO is doing an amazing job with it.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

PS: OVECHKIN > CROSBY
[/quote]

Obviously I take issue with this. Explain.[/quote]

This is based purely on who I would rather pay to watch. Ovechkin is bigger, more physical, and is a better scorer. Crosby is more of a magician, and is great at setting things up.

Crosby has found much more success, is the best player in the league, and would be the first player I would chose to build a team around. But to simply watch? I’ll take Alex (just ask Jagr).[/quote]

This thread disappeared before I could tell you that Ovechkin is obviously not the “better scorer”. You obviously haven’t been watching much Penguins hockey or following the league scoring race the last 15 months.[/quote]

Ovechkin: 283 goals, 435 games.

Crosby: 215 goals, 410 games.

Having a better half-season does not make him a better goal scorer. Of course if you watch 82 Crosby games and 4 Ovechkin games you’ll think he’s better, it’s human nature.

[quote]scj119 wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[/quote]

This is based purely on who I would rather pay to watch. Ovechkin is bigger, more physical, and is a better scorer. Crosby is more of a magician, and is great at setting things up.

Crosby has found much more success, is the best player in the league, and would be the first player I would chose to build a team around. But to simply watch? I’ll take Alex (just ask Jagr).[/quote]

This thread disappeared before I could tell you that Ovechkin is obviously not the “better scorer”. You obviously haven’t been watching much Penguins hockey or following the league scoring race the last 15 months.[/quote]

Having a better half-season does not make him a better goal scorer. Of course if you watch 82 Crosby games and 4 Ovechkin games you’ll think he’s better, it’s human nature.[/quote]

Crosby decided to focus more on scoring last year. The result:

Last season: Ovechkin = 50 goals (72 games); Crosby = 51 (81 games)

This season: Ovechkin = 14 goals (39 games); Crosby = 32 (39 games)

So, by your argument, until Crosby surpasses Ovie in goals per game for his career, then he won’t be as good a scorer? I’m not saying Crosby is better because I know Ovie is in a slump right now. I’m saying they’re equally good. I didn’t make that clear in my first post.

The crazy thing is, both of these guys are still young. I know Crosby hasn’t reached his potential yet because he has gotten better every year. Ovie I’m not sure about because I don’t see him play as much, but the prospect of both of these guys getting even better is exciting.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:
Anybody watching the 24/7 series on HBO? I’ve watched the episodes before heading to the gym and usually have one of the best workouts of the week as a result.

These guys are some of the toughest, most physical athletes on the planet, and I love being given even the slightest look at how things work behind the scenes.[/quote]

I wish they had been following them all year. I’ve watched every episode and love it. They really made Boudreau look bad in that first episode though. Couldn’t someone tell him he had ketchup all over his face? I mean, REALLY?

Also, I’m very glad that they’re going to do a post-mortem show after the Winter Classic. Hopefully the weather doesn’t totally fuck the game though. It’s supposed to be 50 and raining on Saturday here. There is a strong possibility the game will be moved to Sunday, where the forecast is 32 and sunny.

[quote]scj119 wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[/quote]

Having a better half-season does not make him a better goal scorer. Of course if you watch 82 Crosby games and 4 Ovechkin games you’ll think he’s better, it’s human nature.[/quote]

Crosby decided to focus more on scoring last year. The result:

Last season: Ovechkin = 50 goals (72 games); Crosby = 51 (81 games)

This season: Ovechkin = 14 goals (39 games); Crosby = 32 (39 games)

So, by your argument, until Crosby surpasses Ovie in goals per game for his career, then he won’t be as good a scorer? I’m not saying Crosby is better because I know Ovie is in a slump right now. I’m saying they’re equally good. I didn’t make that clear in my first post.

The crazy thing is, both of these guys are still young. I know Crosby hasn’t reached his potential yet because he has gotten better every year. Ovie I’m not sure about because I don’t see him play as much, but the prospect of both of these guys getting even better is exciting.[/quote]

Damnit why’d you have to go all even-keel on me. I wanted an argument!

I was going to say that I think Ovechkin is the better scorer, but that’s only because I watch him so often… and that if I watched Sidney every game there’s a chance I’d think that of him too.

That said… there is something off about the Caps’ top line this year and I can’t put my finger on it. Backstrom isn’t dominating the puck like last year. Ovechkin is getting picked clean by inferior defenders on the break. I dunno if they’re pressing too hard because of a slump in their numbers or what, but it’s bothering me. Obviously I’m not gonna let 30/40 games out of his stellar career change my opinion of Ovechkin, but the fact is SOMETHING is not clicking right now.

Then again, given how the last couple playoffs have gone for us, maybe it’s a good thing they’re struggling in the regular season? That’s my rationalization and I’m sticking to it.

[quote]scj119 wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[/quote]

I was just about to post these numbers, and they don’t lie. Up to this point in time, Ovechkin is the better scorer. I also think Crosby has a much better supporting cast around him, including the stud in between the pipes. We’ll just have to see what the future holds for both super stars.

I’m glad that a lot of you are watching the HBO series, it provides amazing insight, shows the true power and awe of the game, and is beautifully crafted. I wish those that don’t follow the sport could just sit down and watch a single episode. I think they’d leave with a new found love of hockey.

Leaving tomorrow for the Winter Classic, 24/7 has just been getting me more and more excited, I cant fucking wait

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

I was just about to post these numbers, and they don’t lie. Up to this point in time, Ovechkin is the better scorer. I also think Crosby has a much better supporting cast around him, including the stud in between the pipes. We’ll just have to see what the future holds for both super stars.

I’m glad that a lot of you are watching the HBO series, it provides amazing insight, shows the true power and awe of the game, and is beautifully crafted. I wish those that don’t follow the sport could just sit down and watch a single episode. I think they’d leave with a new found love of hockey.
[/quote]

Up until the beginning of last season, Ovie was Crosby’s superior in scoring. That is just not the case now. Like I said in my last post, I think they’re even now.

I agree that Crosby has an overall better supporting cast, but I think their “scoring help” is about the same. Last year, Crosby scored 20.5% of his team’s goals. Ovie had 16.0% of his.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[/quote]

Up until the beginning of last season, Ovie was Crosby’s superior in scoring. That is just not the case now. Like I said in my last post, I think they’re even now.

I agree that Crosby has an overall better supporting cast, but I think their “scoring help” is about the same. Last year, Crosby scored 20.5% of his team’s goals. Ovie had 16.0% of his.[/quote]

Well that’s sorta misleading because the caps had 7 20-goal scorers last year, a freakish offensive season.

I used the “supporting cast” argument for their whole careers, but that (like the “better scorer” argument) changed last year. Ovie had a pretty damn good team around him. I thought last year he finally had a good enough cast to win and he’d prove the doubters wrong.

Then, I watched Halak ruin our season. Fuck hockey.

[quote]scj119 wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[/quote]

I agree that Crosby has an overall better supporting cast, but I think their “scoring help” is about the same. Last year, Crosby scored 20.5% of his team’s goals. Ovie had 16.0% of his.[/quote]

Well that’s sorta misleading because the caps had 7 20-goal scorers last year, a freakish offensive season.

I used the “supporting cast” argument for their whole careers, but that (like the “better scorer” argument) changed last year. Ovie had a pretty damn good team around him. I thought last year he finally had a good enough cast to win and he’d prove the doubters wrong.

Then, I watched Halak ruin our season. Fuck hockey.[/quote]

I’m working with a small sample size since Crosby has only had 1.5 good seasons as a goal scorer. This year, FWIW, he’s scored 26.0% of the Pens’ goals. There aren’t many other guys on the team putting pucks in the net.