NH_Watts' TRT Log

Any thoughts on IRT @physioLojik? Do you ever suggest iodine replacement to patients? I mentioned iodine to the endo I last met with, well kelp supplementation, and he said it was unnecessary and we get all we need from the ground that our food is grown in but I am skeptical. He said that the additional 325mcg was overkill.

The endo was partially right. It’s hard to know about the relative concentrations in iodine in the soil where you live. Since the bulk of the soil concentrations of iodine come from rain water (ocean evaporation) the process is extremely slow. Body temperature is not only based on thyroid which is commonly said in this forum. Serotonin contributes hugely to temp. We don’t use oral temps to gauge thyroid functions whatsoever in our practice. We use saliva testing four times a day. There are too many parties involved in temperature to say oh it’s low so it must be thyroid.

As far as your iodine question - I would suggest you just eat sea vegetables once a day or fish and call it a day.

So no more iodoral @ 50mg a day and just eat sushi every day for lunch? =D Or do you mean supplementing with kelp?

As far as serotonin goes, how do I ensure I am where I need to be?

Digestion is a good indicator actually. And yes for sush and nori etc. do you like seafood? Sardines or anchovies? I’m not suggesting you stop I’m just telling you what we do in our practice. :slight_smile: I just prefer food over most any supplement always.

My digestion has been fucked for years. Weekly diarrhea bouts out of nowhere. I eat a lot of kimchi and sauerkraut to try to fix it. I used to drink a kefir a day but cut it due to the sugar. Digestion balances way better when I don’t drink any alcohol but if I go out for a few drinks with my wife/colleagues I can be fine one week and then have one beer the next week and shit happens (yes I did).

I usually eat the tinned fish on the weekends. Not very office friendly. Try for fish dinner once a week, usually salmon or flounder, and daily cod liver oil.

Having said this
my digestion has been getting better each day since I started the IRT.

5/31 - am 97.17, pm - 98.34

I think I will stop the iodoral for a while and see what happens. I will reintroduce kelp supps and make sure I am getting enough fish and seaweed in my diet as well.

Be careful with this. I was reading through some very old threads and several people ended up with thyroid issues following some of these replenishment protocols.

Maybe they weren’t taking selenium or, there was some other factor, but its worth mentioning.

1 Like

Thanks alphagunner. I have been using selenium the whole time and have been monitoring closely. No adverse affects after 15 days but halting for now. I was hoping @KSman could shed some insight and maybe provide some studies as I havent been able to find much on my own outside of alternative health sites with zero citations.

1 Like

I took extra iodine for a short time. I have it in my multi-vitamin, and I used iodized salt now.

When I told my endocrinologist that I was concerned with my iodine intake, she said there was no need in the U.S. She said everything had iodine in it. I was skeptical, but then she explained that she has thyroid patients who have to avoid TONS of food because of the iodine content. (I tried to get more info out of her but she changed subjects on me)

Do your own research, but I would just tread lightly. I discontinued the iodine after she told me that, but I just continue to follow up with the vit and salt.

Get a multivitamin with the daily recommended amount and used iodized salt.

My area of knowledge is NOT the thyroid though, so definitely do your own research. Maybe even look up those posts if you want. That guy is not happy at all.

3 Likes

You’re doctor is full of it, that’s a pretty short sighted statement that everything has iodine in it which anyone with a half a brain knows that can’t be true.

Doctors changing subjects
weird. LOL

Well I have to say with my temps better I do feel better overall. My digestion has been on point too (not sure if its related or maybe due to decreased anxiety lately or what) and my mind has been sharper. Still tired most afternoons/evening though but I have been crushing it in the gym 6 days a week too.

I had IBS for most of my adult life and when I cut out dairy it stopped. Might be worth testing a non dairy diet for a while and see if you feel better. Dairy really messes some people up.

I appreciate the comment but if anything milk, ice cream, cheese etc have the opposite effect on me. Very binding.

I took the lactose intolerance test at the Gastro office and one year it came out to nine and the next year came out to three and the limit is 10 . Maybe that test is different than a dairy problem.

I think it cause issues for me. More like gas and indigestion. I get no pain. I think it’s all dairy not just lactose

Hard to cut out completely.

Iiodine is present in cheeses, meats, eggs, def seafood and also in a great many vegetables. It depends more on the location and sourcing of your food. The closer to the ocean you are and your food is the more iodine it’ll have due to sea evaporation and subsequent rain on soil. She wasn’t wrong as we have to limit certain foods in our hyperthyroid patients due to this reason.

1 Like

Well I guess that’s a good thing if you often get an upset stomach. Another thing that messed me up was processed foods. Bacon etc.

So no ice cream and no bacon
 I hope your not allergic to barley, hops, yeast, and water.

1 Like

Funny you say that
 Yes I am! No beer, bacon or dairy for me. Such a sad case I am ):

Jesus fucking christ Danny. Sorry man.