NFL Week One

I feel for ya, Raiders and Packers fans, I had the pleasure of growing up with the ‘Detroit’ Lions, even though they played in Ponti-crack.

Their turf would have been the worst had it not been for Philly, they’ve never had cheerleaders, and don’t get me started on the decades of ineptitude.

Go Michigan Panthers!

[quote]Mr. Mojangles wrote:
Man its gonna be a LONG season for my Raiders. We couldnt do anything right last night and this Aaron Brooks experiment is killing me. With that beast of a defense in Baltimore I wanna hide my head in the sand. I mean Merriman himself destroyed our line…with the Ravens D-Line and their linebackers it could be another horrorshow.

My predictations for the season:
Baltimore coming out of the AFC
and either the Falcons or the Eagles in the NFC[/quote]

I was kind of hoping no one would bring the Raiders up. Nothing like another embarrassing year. The worst part is that I am one of those guys that feels it his duty to sit there and watch the beating. My girlfriend has learned last year that the best thing to do is just leave me alone and go somewhere else when the game is on.

Mike

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:

The Steelers were really sharp, Fast Willie was really able to show his stuff last thursday and I was impressed. Now if they can only do something about Batches’ Moms’ hairdo (looked like she had a pint of Guinness on her head) they’d be all set…

B.[/quote]

HAHAHAHAHAHA! I had forgot about that. Yea, it looked like a plate of nachos or something. For a NFL QB, even a 2nd stringer, you would think he could get her a better hair cut.

[quote]spacepirate wrote:
I feel for ya, Raiders and Packers fans, I had the pleasure of growing up with the ‘Detroit’ Lions, even though they played in Ponti-crack.

Their turf would have been the worst had it not been for Philly, they’ve never had cheerleaders, and don’t get me started on the decades of ineptitude.

Go Michigan Panthers![/quote]

There it is right there baby, Anthony Carter and Bobby Hebert connecting for another Pontiac TD!!!

Ahhh, the 80’s…

[quote]doogie wrote:
deputydawg wrote:
PGJ wrote:
I had high hopes for the Cowboys, but that was one of the worst games they have played since their 1-15 season back in 89. I’ve watched Bledsoe since college (we were both at Wash St. together), that was his worst performance…EVER!

Julius Jones is a HUGE disappointment. WTF? He hasn’t done squat in 3 years. The “New and improved, biggger, stronger, faster defense” just sucked. This is going to be a long season.

I’m a big Dallas fan too and I was a bit disappointed. But don’t give up. I always tell people don’t expect the SupreBowl but they will be better this year. I still believe that. But their O-line is still mediocre at best and until they get that fixed they are just an okay team. The Steelers looked awesome.

The Cowboys came out and were absolutely dominating the Jags for the first quarter. Then it just went to shit. Bledsoe has been in the league WAY too long to still be throwing making such crappy decisions. At least Romo can run and have a chance of making something happen.

The running game is shit because of the scheme, I think. The plays they run between the tackles are horrible. They are slow to develop and any hole that might have been there are closed years before the back can hit the line.

[/quote]

Exactly the schemes are horribel all the way around. The boys need to try to bounce a few outside i mean Jones is a speed back not a pounder. Also they should try to use the pass to setup the run. I know ussualy you want to habe the rush set up the pass, but with the weapons the boys have they needs to approach it diffrently. The d was also pretty bad looking, but they are also on the field alot with bledsoe leading alot of 3 and outs. The d even if fresh is still kinda vanilla they never threw the jags any new looks. They would just set back and react instead of attack. They would line ware up right in front of the tackle instead of moving him around like the chargers so with thier freak.

I mean half the time in the chargers raiders game shawne Merriman would be getting blocked by jordan because of the chargers abilty to mix things up and send him on stunts and from all angles. If ware was matched up against backs i have no doubt that he would have similar success. The jags also adjusted at the half and made leftwich take 3 step drops so when ware came on the outside he would not be able to enter the tiny pocket because fergueson was not able to get any push in the middle.

O also don’t let the Sn fool you i’m a cowboys fan. Viking pride name comes from my old high schools mascot.

[quote]hyperair1 wrote:
I do not want to sound like a b*tch, but was the hit on KC QB Trent Green a penalty or what? He was hook sliding, hence giving himself up, if that was Tom Brady would they of called it? [/quote]

It wasnt a penalty but it was damn close, but if that had been Brady the media would have been crying bloody murder…a fine would have been levied before the game let out and a suspension would have followed.

[quote]Mr. Mojangles wrote:
hyperair1 wrote:
I do not want to sound like a b*tch, but was the hit on KC QB Trent Green a penalty or what? He was hook sliding, hence giving himself up, if that was Tom Brady would they of called it?

It wasnt a penalty but it was damn close, but if that had been Brady the media would have been crying bloody murder…a fine would have been levied before the game let out and a suspension would have followed.

[/quote]

it should have been a penalty regardless of who the quarterback was. trent green is an extremely important player on that team as is tom brady for the pats. everybody talks about the pats like they get too much attention or are to glorified. well if you win that many superbowls…then i think you should be talked about that way. also, during the first two superbowls, nobody believed that they could do it, they proved everyone wrong.
as for week one…they (Pats) looked like shit, they are lucky they came out with a win.
the team that looked SCARY was the Ravens…man they punish everyone who touches the ball, its great to watch.
im starting to feel really bad for Favre, he should have stopped playing a little while ago.

I like the Vikings new uniforms. They don’t look like LSU anymore. Maybe now they will start playing better than LSU as well.

I thought the Chargers were going to the powder blue uniform this year.

The only thing that’s kept me from tears is that the hated Redskins, Eagles, and Cowboys are 0-1, too.

[quote]harris447 wrote:
The only thing that’s kept me from tears is that the hated Redskins, Eagles, and Cowboys are 0-1, too.[/quote]

Yup, the NFC East is looking tough… Can’t believe folks still think the Superbowl rep for the NFC is going to come out of the East.

[quote]harris447 wrote:
The only thing that’s kept me from tears is that the hated Redskins, Eagles, and Cowboys are 0-1, too.[/quote]

???
The Eagles won their game.

[quote]Easy E wrote:
Mr. Mojangles wrote:
hyperair1 wrote:
I do not want to sound like a b*tch, but was the hit on KC QB Trent Green a penalty or what? He was hook sliding, hence giving himself up, if that was Tom Brady would they of called it?

it should have been a penalty regardless of who the quarterback was. trent green is an extremely important player on that team as is tom brady for the pats. everybody talks about the pats like they get too much attention or are to glorified. well if you win that many superbowls…then i think you should be talked about that way. also, during the first two superbowls, nobody believed that they could do it, they proved everyone wrong.
as for week one…they (Pats) looked like shit, they are lucky they came out with a win.
the team that looked SCARY was the Ravens…man they punish everyone who touches the ball, its great to watch.
im starting to feel really bad for Favre, he should have stopped playing a little while ago.

[/quote]

I have to say that I think they should just get rid of the slide rule altogether. I mean, QBs have pads and helmets on too. What is that protecting the QB bullshiat. If they are running they are fair game. I understand protecting them as they are throwing, but that’s a different situation.

The play on Trent Green in my opinion was a clean play and the officials must have agreed because they didn’t throw a flag. It’s unfortunate that Trent got knocked the f*ck out but that’s the chance you take when you slide and leave yourself unprotected. If you watch the replay Trent started his slide at the sametime the guy was starting to make the tackle. Nothing you can do about that.

However, if Trent would have lowered his shoulder he would have been far better off with the hit because he would have been braced for it. When you slide you are completely vulnerable.

Football is a violent game and they need to get rid of the slide rule. How do they expect players to go easier on QBs when they are running. It’s just stupid. If you are going to make a tackle on QB how do you know if they are going to slide or not? You don’t. Sometimes they do and sometimes they dive for the first down. That’s a complete advantage that the QB has. It’s like you can’t make the tackle until you know what the QB is going to do.

Get rid of the slide rule and you won’t have the indecisiveness anymore.

[quote]malonetd wrote:
harris447 wrote:
The only thing that’s kept me from tears is that the hated Redskins, Eagles, and Cowboys are 0-1, too.

???
The Eagles won their game.[/quote]

Won it convincingly!

[quote]dre wrote:
Easy E wrote:
Mr. Mojangles wrote:
hyperair1 wrote:

I have to say that I think they should just get rid of the slide rule altogether. I mean, QBs have pads and helmets on too. What is that protecting the QB bullshiat. If they are running they are fair game. I understand protecting them as they are throwing, but that’s a different situation.

The play on Trent Green in my opinion was a clean play and the officials must have agreed because they didn’t throw a flag. It’s unfortunate that Trent got knocked the f*ck out but that’s the chance you take when you slide and leave yourself unprotected. If you watch the replay Trent started his slide at the sametime the guy was starting to make the tackle. Nothing you can do about that.

However, if Trent would have lowered his shoulder he would have been far better off with the hit because he would have been braced for it. When you slide you are completely vulnerable.

Football is a violent game and they need to get rid of the slide rule. How do they expect players to go easier on QBs when they are running. It’s just stupid. If you are going to make a tackle on QB how do you know if they are going to slide or not? You don’t. Sometimes they do and sometimes they dive for the first down. That’s a complete advantage that the QB has. It’s like you can’t make the tackle until you know what the QB is going to do.

Get rid of the slide rule and you won’t have the indecisiveness anymore. [/quote]

The problem is that there aren’t a lot of quality QB in the league right now. They are a team’s (and owner’s) most valuable and visible asset. The team’s achilles heel. They started protecting them when Jim McMahon got body-slammed and separated his shoulder back in the 80’s, thus ending the career of a potential Hall of Fame player. The Bears haven’t been the same since. I’m not sure what the problem is, but there are maybe 3 or 4 great QB’s out there (P. Manning, Rothlisberger, Brady, Hasselback) and the rest are just treading water. The league is lean on great QB’s and should protect the position in order to protect the league.

I’d be in favor of adjusting defensive rules in order to make the game a little more offensive-friendly. There are way too many low-scoring, boring defensive battles going on. Just a personal opinion. Bring back the pick and cross-body block.

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
Nasty Nate wrote:

in the afc i got the steelers in the north

Exxxxactly. They can even win with their backup QB. I don’t get why nobody gives a defending champ a shot at even getting to the Super Bowl, let alone repeating the win.

Jax should be a nice test this coming Monday though…[/quote]

The Steelers could win with Dan Rooney starting at center. Ol’ Billy Cowher would find a way.

The Jags always play PIT tough. If they can hold Fred Taylor under 75 yds and put Leftwich on the ground early and often, it’ll be a cakewalk. I’m interested to see if they put Davenport on the field, and if he gets any touches.

[quote]spartanpower wrote:
I’m interested to see if they put Davenport on the field, and if he gets any touches.[/quote]

I’d assume they’d use Staley before Davenport, considering they’re paying him about a million more, and they’re similar-type runners.

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
spartanpower wrote:
I’m interested to see if they put Davenport on the field, and if he gets any touches.

I’d assume they’d use Staley before Davenport, considering they’re paying him about a million more, and they’re similar-type runners. [/quote]

I don’t think Cowher and Co. are too high on Duce right now. It seems like they’re looking for other options, and Davenport fits the typical Steelers power back mold a lot better than Staley. But they both miss a lot of time with injuries, so it will probably be a war of attrition for who gets the short yardage work this year.

[quote]spartanpower wrote:
Bauer97 wrote:
Nasty Nate wrote:

in the afc i got the steelers in the north

Exxxxactly. They can even win with their backup QB. I don’t get why nobody gives a defending champ a shot at even getting to the Super Bowl, let alone repeating the win.

Jax should be a nice test this coming Monday though…

The Steelers could win with Dan Rooney starting at center. Ol’ Billy Cowher would find a way.

The Jags always play PIT tough. If they can hold Fred Taylor under 75 yds and put Leftwich on the ground early and often, it’ll be a cakewalk. I’m interested to see if they put Davenport on the field, and if he gets any touches.[/quote]

I wouldn’t get your hopes up about Davenport if you are. I’ve witnessed first hand what a disappointment he has been.

[quote]hedo wrote:
malonetd wrote:
harris447 wrote:

???
The Eagles won their game.

Won it convincingly!

[/quote]

You’re right. Totally blanked. Wishful thinking.

The NFC team sent to the super bowl will be from the NFC east. This I sincerely believe. All the teams look stacked, with great depth, and have the best shot of showing up in the playoffs. The only spoilers could be Chicago, if they can score, and Atlanta. Carolina looked terrible. I believe that any NFC East team will hand Vick his ass right back to him.

Go SKINS! (Even if the first game blew)