NFL - Week 3

The Pats looked fantastic today much to my dismay (and the joy of many others)

[quote]AssOnGrass wrote:
The Pats looked fantastic today much to my dismay (and the joy of many others)[/quote]

Ronnie Brown destroyed them!

Getting destroyed by the Miami Dolphins is never a good thing. They have been one of the worst teams for a long time.

Those direct snaps to Ronnie Brown worked good. It’s like the Pats never caught on to them. Only problem was i had Ronnie Brown on my bench in my fantasy league.

Oh how cute!!! The Canadian guy picked football games again:)

And wow, you’re a terrible handicapper btw. But as long as you’re having fun, eh?

[quote]sen say wrote:
Bauer97 wrote:
Nothing is lamer than wearing non-football clothing to a football game.

Wearing a third party’s jersey to a game is lamer.

As I said to the douche a few rows behind me last year wearing his cowboy’s jersey that kept yelling, ‘ain’t got nothing on Dallas!’, 'bro, we’re all good and happy you’re a Cowboys fan…but…the Ravens are playing the Titans…shut the fuck up, eh?"
[/quote]

+1. My buddy and I decided that these 3rd party fans need to be weeded out by the ushers and sent to the team store, where they’d have to buy home team merch or be kicked out.

Oh, and you Stiller guys- have your so-not-terrible towels ready for weeping next Monday.

[quote]strungoutboy21 wrote:
Those direct snaps to Ronnie Brown worked good. It’s like the Pats never caught on to them. Only problem was i had Ronnie Brown on my bench in my fantasy league.[/quote]

I love it when they utilize the option in the NFL. It’s bullshit to say that it can’t be used; it just has to be used effectively.

As for my poor damn Packers… wow.

[quote]The Bambino wrote:
Oh how cute!!! The Canadian guy picked football games again:)

And wow, you’re a terrible handicapper btw. But as long as you’re having fun, eh?[/quote]

Cute is chiming in with the same fuckin’ joke that people have made 3 or 4 times before you, feeder fish.

But hey, nothing stopping you from adding your mad skillz to the mix. Let’s see what you got.

Otherwise, how about you shut the fuck up?

[quote]SSC wrote:
strungoutboy21 wrote:
Those direct snaps to Ronnie Brown worked good. It’s like the Pats never caught on to them. Only problem was i had Ronnie Brown on my bench in my fantasy league.

I love it when they utilize the option in the NFL. It’s bullshit to say that it can’t be used; it just has to be used effectively.

As for my poor damn Packers… wow.[/quote]

I think the single wing is a novel throwback that can be used effectively at times.

I don’t think you can utilize a triple-option like the wishbone in the pros. The game is just too fast for it to work on a consistent basis.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:

Oh, and you’ns Stiller guys…[/quote]

Fixed that for ya.

A couple of years ago I started a thread wherein I postulated that the Single Wing was making a limited comeback. I was specifically shot down because didn’t I realize that was the “spread” offense etc. etc. I think I am now fully vindicated! Direct snaps to a tailback who runs over guard and off-tackle and then throws a pass off a sweep – That is clearly single-wing football. The thing that is so suprising is that Belicheck has used single-wing type plays himself in the past. (direct snap to a running back with trapping guards) Yet they couldn’t figure out how to stop it this time. Interesting.

[quote]deputydawg wrote:
A couple of years ago I started a thread wherein I postulated that the Single Wing was making a limited comeback. I was specifically shot down because didn’t I realize that was the “spread” offense etc. etc. I think I am now fully vindicated! Direct snaps to a tailback who runs over guard and off-tackle and then throws a pass off a sweep – That is clearly single-wing football. The thing that is so suprising is that Belicheck has used single-wing type plays himself in the past. (direct snap to a running back with trapping guards) Yet they couldn’t figure out how to stop it this time. Interesting.[/quote]

If teams start game planning to defense the single-wing, it will not be very effective, unless you have a Vick-like qb who can be a real threat with his legs, and his arm. Maybe Russell in Oakland would be a good candidate, but you are going to have to have more than three plays to run from it, or it will be an abject failure.

Rainjack:
I agree. But if you have the right players why not put in some plays especially now that everyone uses the spread or shotgun type offense. Why not put in more direct snaps to the running back? I think Vince Young would prosper in such a setting. The Titans are doing well with Kerry Collins and I think part of it is that they really prefer running a typical pro-style offense. Vince Young is not built to run that type offense.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
SSC wrote:
strungoutboy21 wrote:

I think the single wing is a novel throwback that can be used effectively at times.

I don’t think you can utilize a triple-option like the wishbone in the pros. The game is just too fast for it to work on a consistent basis. [/quote]

The wishbone doesn’t even work in the NCAA any more, why would anyone try to adapt it to the NFL?

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
rainjack wrote:
SSC wrote:
strungoutboy21 wrote:

I don’t think you can utilize a triple-option like the wishbone in the pros. The game is just too fast for it to work on a consistent basis.

The wishbone doesn’t even work in the NCAA any more, why would anyone try to adapt it to the NFL?[/quote]

There are several college teams still using a triple option offense.

The single wing/spread will never be used in the NFL because it often involves the QB running with the ball. This means they’re going to take a lot of hits. Owners that invest $20-30 million (guaranteed) in a player don’t want them to be a punching bag and risk career and season ending injury.

Unless you’re the Steelers, in which case you don’t draft any good O-linemen for 3 years and then start two guys (Simmons, Colon) who should be working at a car wash in East Liberty. We like to make each game a life or death experience for our QB.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
[/quote]

Are they using it effectively?

[quote]rainjack wrote:
deputydawg wrote:
A couple of years ago I started a thread wherein I postulated that the Single Wing was making a limited comeback. I was specifically shot down because didn’t I realize that was the “spread” offense etc. etc. I think I am now fully vindicated! Direct snaps to a tailback who runs over guard and off-tackle and then throws a pass off a sweep – That is clearly single-wing football. The thing that is so suprising is that Belicheck has used single-wing type plays himself in the past. (direct snap to a running back with trapping guards) Yet they couldn’t figure out how to stop it this time. Interesting.

If teams start game planning to defense the single-wing, it will not be very effective, unless you have a Vick-like qb who can be a real threat with his legs, and his arm. Maybe Russell in Oakland would be a good candidate, but you are going to have to have more than three plays to run from it, or it will be an abject failure.
[/quote]

The Vick-Duckett-Dunn Falcons were the best recent team suited to run a single wing with a spinning fullback. And if they would have done it, it would have devastated the NFL – at least for one season.

As a former coach, I have a special place in my heart for the single wing. It can really embarrass a team that isn’t prepared. Teams don’t like to have to change their entire defense for one week for one opponent. Obviously, the pros can adapt a little more, but it still wouldn’t be an east transition. Hell, most coaches today probably don’t even know what the single wing is, let alone how to defend it. I mean, Belichick, the supposed genius coach, had no answer for the direct snaps. If that confused the mad genius, what would a coach like Marinelli or even Norv Turner do if faced with a single wing?

One of the problems, other than lack of knowledge of the single wing, is that coaching has become very ego-driven and about keeping your job. If a coach uses the same old pro-sets that every other team is using and his team fails, he can blame it on the players. However, if he tries something different and unique and it fails, the blame will fall solely on the coach and his wacky idea.

Another problem is that it’s not a real flashy offense. The NFL is very offense and pass-touchdown oriented. The single wing would win some games, but in today’s league, people might be bored with it. Of course, I tend to think people today would even be bored with the old Lombardi power sweep. It’s all about QB’s and high flying receivers now.

Also, and someone else touched on this, is that the tailback in the single wing(the QB) would be taking some hits. No coach wants to see that. On the other hand – and this just popped in my head – I wonder if a team could learn to decrease the hits by manipulating the rules that protect the QB, like the slide and “in the grasp”.

I really believe, with the right personnel and the right coach, a team could come out and run a single wing offense and run away, literally and figuratively, with the title. At least for one season.

You boys sure know your football

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
rainjack wrote:

Are they using it effectively?[/quote]

If I am not mistaken, Georgia Tech and Air Force still use it, and use it quite effectively. Those are two that pop to mind, I am sure there are a few more schools using it.

I could be wrong, and maybe eic can tell me if I am, but isn’t Nebraska kinda migrating back to more of an option oriented offense?

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Steel Nation wrote:
rainjack wrote:

Are they using it effectively?

If I am not mistaken, Georgia Tech and Air Force still use it, and use it quite effectively. Those are two that pop to mind, I am sure there are a few more schools using it.

I could be wrong, and maybe eic can tell me if I am, but isn’t Nebraska kinda migrating back to more of an option oriented offense?
[/quote]

Georgia Tech runs the spread option, and I think you mean Army instead of Air Force.

The last team that I can remember that ran the triple option well was the Cornhuskers when they had Tommy Frazier. They were unstoppable.