NFL - Week 1

[quote]sen say wrote:
Okay…after last night’s ridiculously, retarded, lousy game…my NFL season is pretty much over. I’m believing the Redskins will go 4-12 at best…christ…the Raven’s are going to suck too…I might end up cheering for…I don’t know…someone gimme a team…fuck it…maybe I’ll watch soccer instead and end it all around November.[/quote]

Hmmm, I predict the Jaguars are the band-wagoners team of the future, you might want to jump on now. I see good things for them in the coming years.

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
sen say wrote:
Okay…after last night’s ridiculously, retarded, lousy game…my NFL season is pretty much over. I’m believing the Redskins will go 4-12 at best…christ…the Raven’s are going to suck too…I might end up cheering for…I don’t know…someone gimme a team…fuck it…maybe I’ll watch soccer instead and end it all around November.

Hmmm, I predict the Jaguars are the band-wagoners team of the future, you might want to jump on now. I see good things for them in the coming years.[/quote]

Jags look nice but they are in the same division as the Texans!

Honestly, they have an effiecent (18 TD 3 INT l.y.) QB and 2 studs at RB.

Texans beat them twice last year and I am hoping they light it up this year!

If #8 and #80 for the Texans (colts, titans) can stay healthy, watch out!

Degenerate pick of the night: Over in Ball State (61.5) vs Navy.

[quote]sen say wrote:
Okay…after last night’s ridiculously, retarded, lousy game…my NFL season is pretty much over. I’m believing the Redskins will go 4-12 at best…christ…the Raven’s are going to suck too…I might end up cheering for…I don’t know…someone gimme a team…fuck it…maybe I’ll watch soccer instead and end it all around November.[/quote]

Dude, cheer up. We’ve got a freshly minted coach who is trying to introduce yet another new offensive scheme to a team that has had offensive line problems for years. It’s bad enough our quarterback is still trying to figure things out, but with no protection he’s pretty much doomed. A losing season is a fore-gone conclusion. I’m just happy every time we manage a touchdown.

Oh yeah, why the fuck are they still giving the ball to Portis on a 3rd and 20 situation? He’ll pretty much guarantee you 5 yards, but he never runs 20 yards ever. And it’s not even Zorn’s fault, they’ve been doing that retarded shit for years.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
Doug Adams wrote:
I don’t agree with the Ravens pick, and I’m a fan. The o-line is young, the 1st string RB is hurt, the secondary isn’t much better, and none of the established stars are getting any younger.

I sadly predict 4-12 for my team this year, but I hope the experts who pick them to win the division are right. I just don’t see it.

Which “experts?” All I’m seeing is Stillers/Browneyes out of the North.[/quote]

I was wondering that myself. I haven’t seen one expert pick the Ravens this year.

Unfortunately, I think the Stinkers will take the division by default. The Browns have too many key injuries and a brutal schedule to win enough games this year. I’ll be happy with 2-2 in September.

DB

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
Oh yeah, why the fuck are they still giving the ball to Portis on a 3rd and 20 situation? [/quote]

They’re saving the ‘fumblerooski’ play for the games that count???

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
Steel Nation wrote:
Doug Adams wrote:
I don’t agree with the Ravens pick, and I’m a fan. The o-line is young, the 1st string RB is hurt, the secondary isn’t much better, and none of the established stars are getting any younger.

I sadly predict 4-12 for my team this year, but I hope the experts who pick them to win the division are right. I just don’t see it.

Which “experts?” All I’m seeing is Stillers/Browneyes out of the North.

I was wondering that myself. I haven’t seen one expert pick the Ravens this year.
[/quote]

There were some stat gurus on an espn.com podcast that said the ravens would win the division. Even though I’ll take yesterday’s win, I still don’t believe them.

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
malonetd wrote:
Anyone ever do a suicide pool? I’ve been playing them years and it’s pretty much the only kind of pool I’ll play any more.

All you do is, each week pick one team to win their game. If they win, you get to play the next week. If they lose, you’re out of the pool. The one catch is that once you pick a team to win, you can no longer pick that team.

For example, if you pick New England in week 1, you can’t pick them again for the remainder of the pool.

I’m taking Philly for week 1.

Yup, I love suicide pools, they’re the only football betting I do, as well.

I have 2 entries, and took Indy and San Diego in Week 1.

I’m hoping the Chargers start this season off a little better than last year…[/quote]

Ouch. 0-2. Out in week 1. Who’da thunk AFC powers like the Chargers and the Colts would send you home in the first week?

Neely Dan -

Dude, your picks were atrocious.

I say that as an undefeated, untied all-pro Monday morning QB.

About the only thing I saw this weekend that was not a surprise on some level was how well the Cowboys played. If they can clean up all the laundry the refs left on the field, it’s going to be tough for anyone to get close to them this year.

Bucs let me down. Go figure.

[quote]rainjack wrote:

About the only thing I saw this weekend that was not a surprise on some level was how well the Cowboys played. If they can clean up all the laundry the refs left on the field, it’s going to be tough for anyone to get close to them this year.

[/quote]

I wouldn’t get too carried away with them yet. The Browns were atrocious, as I expected they would be given that this was the first time their first team offense was together this year and their defense, which was already talent-thin, has been decimated by injuries. Throw in Donte Stallworth pulling a groin in warmups (how the fuck does that happen?) and their offense was in complete disarray.

Philly was quite impressive yesterday as well. Given that Barber is questionable at best for next Sunday’s game, Philly may have the edge in a game that could be quite meaningful in determining home field in the playoffs. McNabb looked pretty good.

That said, Witten could be the best TE in the NFL right now. He looked like a man among boys yesterday.

But, who the hell knows what the season will bring - it’s only week 1.

DB

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
rainjack wrote:

I wouldn’t get too carried away with them yet. The Browns were atrocious, as I expected they would be given that this was the first time their first team offense was together this year and their defense, which was already talent-thin, has been decimated by injuries. Throw in Donte Stallworth pulling a groin in warmups (how the fuck does that happen?) and their offense was in complete disarray.

Philly was quite impressive yesterday as well. Given that Barber is questionable at best for next Sunday’s game, Philly may have the edge in a game that could be quite meaningful in determining home field in the playoffs. McNabb looked pretty good.

That said, Witten could be the best TE in the NFL right now. He looked like a man among boys yesterday.

DB[/quote]

Philly has no edge. It’s not going to be that close. Even if Barber has to sit out, Jones proved himself to be a more than capable replacement.

McNabb will look good until he gets a pass rush. He’s got gimpy knees, and tends to make bad decisions when pressured.

The shitty thing is that I have Philly for my fantasy defense. I’m not going to get any points from them next week - I will most likely lose points with them, in fact.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Neely Dan -

Dude, your picks were atrocious.

I say that as an undefeated, untied all-pro Monday morning QB.
[/quote]

I agree.

I say that as a 32 year old guy living with his fiancee - who also did better than I did.

And she picked based on uniform colurs.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Bauer97 wrote:

I’m hoping the Chargers start this season off a little better than last year…

Ouch. 0-2. Out in week 1. Who’da thunk AFC powers like the Chargers and the Colts would send you home in the first week?

[/quote]

Yeah, that pretty much sucked. The kicker: I got my wife an entry as well, and allowed her to pick whoever she wanted (just to test the theory that the people who always win these things know jack shit about football). She picked Seattle… Make that 0-3.

Luckily, the pool I’m in has the option to buy back in for the first 3 weeks of the season, which I’ll be doing. Not that I have any f’ing idea who to pick in Week 2 now…

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
rainjack wrote:
Bauer97 wrote:

I’m hoping the Chargers start this season off a little better than last year…

Yeah, that pretty much sucked. The kicker: I got my wife an entry as well, and allowed her to pick whoever she wanted (just to test the theory that the people who always win these things know jack shit about football). She picked Seattle… Make that 0-3.

Luckily, the pool I’m in has the option to buy back in for the first 3 weeks of the season, which I’ll be doing. Not that I have any f’ing idea who to pick in Week 2 now…[/quote]

Week 2 has some tough matchups. I almost wanna pick the Jets over New England, but I don’t know if I can make that pick in week 2, with no option to re-buy.

I’ll probably take the Giants.

I thought my 49ers would go 5-11. It looks like 4-12 now. Oh well, misery loves company, c’mon Broncos, F*CK UP the Raiders.

I’ve always wanted to know if Tom Brady would disobey BeliCHEAT and not run up the score on his favorite team growing up. Guess I’ll never know.
FNF

Michael Turner was a beast week 1. Then again, it was against the lions.

Hopefully my Broncos can beat-up on the Raiders

[quote]fnf wrote:
I thought my 49ers would go 5-11. It looks like 4-12 now. Oh well, misery loves company, c’mon Broncos, F*CK UP the Raiders.

I’ve always wanted to know if Tom Brady would disobey BeliCHEAT and not run up the score on his favorite team growing up. Guess I’ll never know.
FNF[/quote]

That game was irritating as hell to watch. I thought the defense played well and Gore looked great, but they just kept shooting themselves in the foot with the turnovers. That third quarter was a joke. What was their time of possession? Four minutes for the third quarter and 22 for the game?

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
fnf wrote:

FNF

That game was irritating as hell to watch. I thought the defense played well and Gore looked great, but they just kept shooting themselves in the foot with the turnovers. That third quarter was a joke. What was their time of possession? Four minutes for the third quarter and 22 for the game? [/quote]

The D played well in the 1st half and then got pushed around in the second half. Almost 13 minutes for Arizona in the 3rd, that’s the D’s fault. Yes, they had that TO on the kick-off, but Edge kept getting 4yds and Boldin kept getting key catches. Heck, no one could check him.

I think the 49ers are missing two main parts in a 3-4 D, a NT that MUST be double teamed, and a dominating pass-rushing OLB.

Oh well, there’s always the year after next.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
dollarbill44 wrote:
rainjack wrote:

DB

Philly has no edge. It’s not going to be that close. Even if Barber has to sit out, Jones proved himself to be a more than capable replacement.

McNabb will look good until he gets a pass rush. He’s got gimpy knees, and tends to make bad decisions when pressured.

The shitty thing is that I have Philly for my fantasy defense. I’m not going to get any points from them next week - I will most likely lose points with them, in fact.
[/quote]

I think you might be giving Dallas a bit to much credit(but thats what fans do) b/c I thought Romo fell asleep back there once then woke up and threw a TD. He had all day and then some in the pocket. The Browns had Zero pass rush. I think the Game next Monday night is a push, not sure who the home team is but I cant see the spred being any more than 3 points either way. It will be a good game.

But I think there will be a couple of interesting games to watch next week. The Bears Carolina game will be one, again right now I think that game is a push and am only taking Car b/c I a Fan. I think the Jets Pats game will be another one to watch it could change the whole AFC East. And then well see how SD and Indy rebound.

My pics for week two

CHI @ CAR - CAR again this could go either way

TEN @ CIN - CIN I just cant see Cin playing like that 2 weeks in a row plus Kollins is starting for Ten.

GB @ DET - GB

BUF @ JAC - JAC Buf looked good and i think this is another game that could go either way.

OAK @ KC - OAK This is just going to be an ugly game. I think Oakland is better than they played tonight. I had origonaly picked KC

IND @ MIN - IND The Viks need to find a passing game if they want to make the play offs

NYG @ STL - NYG

NO @ WAS - NO Manning ate the Skins up no reason to think Brees wont do the same

SF @ SEA - SEA I think the Sea Hawks are on the way down but SF isnt looking any better

ATL @ TB - TB The Falcons looked good Sunday but they wont run for 220+ on TB

MIA @ ARI - ARI The Dolphins are much better with Pennington at QB and this one could go either way.

SD @ DEN - SD Cutler looked really good against the Raiders and I think SD will be down this year as well. SD is going to have to come out and hit Denver in the mouth really really hard.

BAL @ HOU - BAL The Ravens played a good game and I didnt bet to see any of the Texans so I really dont know how this one will end up but I think HOU was better than their record last year.

NE @ NYJ - NYJ Well this will be the one no one will be able to get away from. It will be interesting to see what happens

PIT @ CLE - PIT

PHI @ DAL - PHI again I think this will be the game of the week. Both teams look very very good in week one, both are good on either side of the ball. I know The Eagles were without their #1&2 WR not sure if they get them back or not but I’ll take Philly in a shoot out

[quote]Himora22 wrote:
rainjack wrote:
dollarbill44 wrote:
rainjack wrote:

DB

I think you might be giving Dallas a bit to much credit(but thats what fans do) b/c I thought Romo fell asleep back there once then woke up and threw a TD. He had all day and then some in the pocket. The Browns had Zero pass rush. I think the Game next Monday night is a push, not sure who the home team is but I cant see the spred being any more than 3 points either way. It will be a good game.

But I think there will be a couple of interesting games to watch next week. The Bears Carolina game will be one, again right now I think that game is a push and am only taking Car b/c I a Fan. I think the Jets Pats game will be another one to watch it could change the whole AFC East. And then well see how SD and Indy rebound.

[/quote]

And you evidently give Philly too much credit.

It won’t be that close Monday. Dallas is the class of the NFC. Philly had a good game. Big difference.