T Nation

NFL - Week 1

Okay, week one is impossible to accurately forecast. But what else can I do over breakfast with my peanuts and Gatorade?

So, with as much accuracy as possible in the Week of Unknown Quantities, here is my Eerily Accurate Forecast!

(No point spreading this week.)

1. Redskins at Giants: Road win for the 'Skins! The New York media mobilizes, and Eli loses his 3 new endorsement deals.

2. Bengals at Ravens: Ravens win one at home, in spite of Joe Flacco's lacklustre performance, and Ocho Cinco's "antics."

3. Jets at Dolphins: The Jets win, and we hear about Brett Favre until we puke. Nobody mentions the weak and depleted Dolphins.

4. Chiefs at Patriots: Pats win. *sigh

5. Texans at Steelers: Steelers win. Their win and Houston's loss will matter not one whit. Really. Who cares?

6. Jaguars at Titans: Someone's gotta win, may as well be Tennessee.

7. Lions at Falcons: Yet another road win in week 1. The Lions win big. They manhandle the Falcons, and get zero credit. PERHAPS some mention of dog fighting will be made. You think? I sure do.

8. Seahawks at Bills: Seattle wins with authority. Man, will the road wins never cease this week?

9. Buccaneers at Saints: The Saints win at... "home."

10. Rams at Eagles: The Eagles win. Again, a game of eventual 9-7 or 7-9 teams. Who cares?

11. Cowboys at Browns: Dallas wins, and gets a false sense of security from beating a major pack of losers.

12: Panthers at Chargers: Chargers win in a snoozer.

1. Cardinals at Forty-Niners: What kind of name is the "San Francisco Forty-Niners?" Who the He*l knows when the Gold Rush was? Pretty stupid, really. Of course, the Cardinals were originally named for the Catholic office of the same name. Alas, the Cardinals cannot win on the road, even to a team from "San Francisco," who was, oddly, a Catholic Cardinal. Or was Saint Francis a monk? If he was a monk, smart money says he was Franciscan. Okay, he was a Bishop.

2. Bears at Colts: Indianapolis wins, and Peyton gets 13 more endorsement deals. He looks a little hurt! OMG, the announcers will not shut up about it!

3. Vikings at Packers: Although the Vikings could pull out 10 wins this year, Green Bay will not be denied a week-one win. The announcers may or may not mention Favre. Well, okay, they will.

4. Broncos at Raiders: Can the Raiders even win a week 1 at home with their pack of uncoached slobs? Yessss, yes, I think they might win this one.

What’s up NeelyDan?

This analysis is golden, time will prove just how accurate though.

Did you think it up your self or bastardize it from someone else?

Think you know your NFL? Put your cursor where your mouth is. Sportsnet is running their Pigskin Pick’em Pool

http://fantasy.sportsnet.ca/sportsnet/fbspr08/promo.cgi

It’s free to join with lots of prizes too, give it a try fellow Canadians and all other Football Fans, if needed just google some random Canadian address.

Cheers,

"4. Chiefs at Patriots: Pats win. *sigh "

f*ck yeah!!!

“Pats win.” x 16 +?? haha jk

[quote]TKOWKD1 wrote:
What’s up NeelyDan?

This analysis is golden, time will prove just how accurate though.

Did you think it up your self or bastardize it from someone else?

[/quote]

All me, baby. It’s likely to serve more as satire than accuracy, though. The intention was to get you guys debating about games week in and week out - if this sort of thread occurs regularly and I’m stepping on someone’s toes, by all means, usurp away.

I don’t agree with the Ravens pick, and I’m a fan. The o-line is young, the 1st string RB is hurt, the secondary isn’t much better, and none of the established stars are getting any younger. I sadly predict 4-12 for my team this year, but I hope the experts who pick them to win the division are right. I just don’t see it.

Both clubs will rack up double digit losses by season’s end, but I still think the Ravens defense will be a little too much for an awful Bengals offensive line.

I think my dirty birds are gonna surprise some folks. I say they squeek out the W over the lions. The birds didn’t give up a TD in 12 quarters in PRESEASON, for what thats worth. They’re young, hungry and flying under the radar, they’ll bite some folks in the butt for sure.

Side note: To bad Vick didn’t just beat up some chick, rob a liquor store, get drunk and hit someone crossing the street, he’d still be playing, hell he’d be celebrated! /rant

Road win for the skins? As a long-time suffering fan, I don’t see it. My only hope is we go 1-15 and finally get rid of Vinny Cerrato (you know…the guy that drafts punters…)

[quote]NeelyDan wrote:
Okay, week one is impossible to accurately forecast. But what else can I do over breakfast with my peanuts and Gatorade?

So, with as much accuracy as possible in the Week of Unknown Quantities, here is my Eerily Accurate Forecast!

(No point spreading this week.)

1. Bengals at Ravens:

2. Jets at Dolphins:

3. Chiefs at Patriots: Pats win. *sigh

—Okay, you got this one pegged.

1. Jaguars at Titans: Someone’s gotta win, may as well be Tennessee.

2. Lions at Falcons:

I am not sure what to do with this one. I think the Falcons may surprise some folks but I like Kitna and his WRs.

1. Seahawks at Bills:

–I like the Bills and I think they will be favored. Watch out for Marshawyn Lynch.

1. Buccaneers at Saints: The Saints win at… “home.”
    This should hold up but Garcia and Gallowway have carved the Saints the past 2 games they played.

2. Rams at Eagles: ?
    Not sure about the status of the Rams. They have Steven Jackson but other than that it looks bleek. I lilke Donovan and Westbrook. Eagles.

3. Cowboys at Browns: Dallas wins, and gets a false sense of security from beating a major pack of losers.

-Dallas should hold them off; over!

-Don’t be surpirsed if the Panthers keep it close but LT, I mean the Chargers should win.

1. Cardinals at Forty-Niners: What kind of name is the “San Francisco Forty-Niners?” Who the He*l knows when the Gold Rush was? Pretty stupid, really. Of course, the Cardinals were originally named for the Catholic office of the same name. Alas, the Cardinals cannot win on the road, even to a team from “San Francisco,” who was, oddly, a Catholic Cardinal. Or was Saint Francis a monk? If he was a monk, smart money says he was Franciscan. Okay, he was a Bishop.

–Regardless of names I go with the Warner and the tested QB. Who the hell is starting for the 49ers? Not Alex Smith.

1. Bears at Colts: Indianapolis wins, and Peyton gets 13 more endorsement deals. He looks a little hurt! OMG, the announcers will not shut up about it!

—Colts with mutliple FGs - Manning is off the 1st week. Joseph Addai show!

1. Vikings at Packers: Although the Vikings could pull out 10 wins this year, Green Bay will not be denied a week-one win. The announcers may or may not mention Favre. Well, okay, they will.

----This will be too close for comfort. I like the Viking’s with teh D and Adrian Pete er son!

1. Broncos at Raiders: Can the Raiders even win a week 1 at home with their pack of uncoached slobs? Yessss, yes, I think they might win this one.

—Raider D is healthy and they have young stars/ Denver’s WR is not healthy/suspended…so I will ride with the Raaiiidddaaas.

Good Luck.

Can this tread live all 16 - 20 weeks of the NFL?

“On the 10th day God made Football”

[/quote]

----I guess you don’t bet on the games. This is basically the only way to make money unless you take a dog straight up…but I wouldn’t know because I don’t bet either.

----I am leaning towards the Giants. Skins are just weird! Their offense consists of breaking the huddle and straight into the play. They never have a player in motion to attempt to figure out what the defense is doing etc. I think Campbell may be on a short leash especially if Brennan is putting pressure in camp. Randle El is banged up, J. Taylor is out…so I gotta take the previous SDuper Bowl champs. Eli will have a good enough game.

----I like Palmer and wHO’surmomma against Baltimore’s QB everyday and thrice on Sunday. Ohh, the game is on Sunday. Who dem gonna beat the Begals? Nobody this week.

—Tough one but I like Farve in this one but watch out for Ricky and Chad Pennington

1. Chiefs at Patriots: Pats win. *sigh

—Okay, you got this one pegged.

1. Texans at Steelers:

Houston is my team. We play great openers and are undeafted in Steel-town. Not sure if we can win outright but I love the over.

–Gotta go with with Jags on this one. Better WR and possibly QB. Garrard is definetly a better passer than VY.

1. Lions at Falcons:

I am not sure what to do with this one. I think the Falcons may surprise some folks but I like Kitna and his WRs.

1. Seahawks at Bills:

–I like the Bills and I think they will be favored. Watch out for Marshawyn Lynch.

1. Buccaneers at Saints: The Saints win at… “home.”
    This should hold up but Garcia and Gallowway have carved the Saints the past 2 games they played.

2. Rams at Eagles: ?
    Not sure about the status of the Rams. They have Steven Jackson but other than that it looks bleek. I lilke Donovan and Westbrook. Eagles.

3. Cowboys at Browns: Dallas wins, and gets a false sense of security from beating a major pack of losers.

-Dallas should hold them off; over!

-Don’t be surpirsed if the Panthers keep it close but LT, I mean the Chargers should win.

1. Cardinals at Forty-Niners: What kind of name is the “San Francisco Forty-Niners?” Who the He*l knows when the Gold Rush was? Pretty stupid, really. Of course, the Cardinals were originally named for the Catholic office of the same name. Alas, the Cardinals cannot win on the road, even to a team from “San Francisco,” who was, oddly, a Catholic Cardinal. Or was Saint Francis a monk? If he was a monk, smart money says he was Franciscan. Okay, he was a Bishop.

–Regardless of names I go with the Warner and the tested QB. Who the hell is starting for the 49ers? Not Alex Smith.

1. Bears at Colts: Indianapolis wins, and Peyton gets 13 more endorsement deals. He looks a little hurt! OMG, the announcers will not shut up about it!

—Colts with mutliple FGs - Manning is off the 1st week. Joseph Addai show!

1. Vikings at Packers: Although the Vikings could pull out 10 wins this year, Green Bay will not be denied a week-one win. The announcers may or may not mention Favre. Well, okay, they will.

----This will be too close for comfort. I like the Viking’s with teh D and Adrian Pete er son!

1. Broncos at Raiders: Can the Raiders even win a week 1 at home with their pack of uncoached slobs? Yessss, yes, I think they might win this one.

—Raider D is healthy and they have young stars/ Denver’s WR is not healthy/suspended…so I will ride with the Raaiiidddaaas.

Good Luck.

Can this tread live all 16 - 20 weeks of the NFL?

Had to edit this a few times; hope it is legible.

You must be batshit crazy if you think the skins are taking out my Giants.

Let the laughter begin…

1. Redskins
  2. Bengals
  3. Jets (for some reason, I want to pick the dolphins, but I just can’t)
  4. Patriots
  5. Texans
  6. Jaguars
  7. Lions
  8. Seahawks
  9. Saints
    10 Eagles
  10. Cowboys
    12: Chargers
  11. Cardinals
  12. Colts
  13. Vikings
  14. Raiders

Here We Go:

Giants
Seahawks
Steelers
Saints
Lions
Eagles
Jaguars
Dolphins
Bengals
Patriots
Cardinals
Chargers
Cowboys
Colts
Packers
Raiders

I took the Chiefs getting 16.5

I believe the Patriots D is below average for this season, at almost every position they are either too old or too young. If you look at how they played down the stretch last season you could see the wheels coming off.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
I don’t agree with the Ravens pick, and I’m a fan. The o-line is young, the 1st string RB is hurt, the secondary isn’t much better, and none of the established stars are getting any younger.

I sadly predict 4-12 for my team this year, but I hope the experts who pick them to win the division are right. I just don’t see it.[/quote]

Which “experts?” All I’m seeing is Stillers/Browneyes out of the North.

[quote]mjc381 wrote:
I took the Chiefs getting 16.5

I believe the Patriots D is below average for this season, at almost every position they are either too old or too young. If you look at how they played down the stretch last season you could see the wheels coming off.[/quote]

That’s no reason to go batshit crazy and take the Cheifs…are you high?? The Pats are solid for the regular season, they’ll be suspect in the Playoffs though.

Anyone ever do a suicide pool? I’ve been playing them years and it’s pretty much the only kind of pool I’ll play any more.

All you do is, each week pick one team to win their game. If they win, you get to play the next week. If they lose, you’re out of the pool. The one catch is that once you pick a team to win, you can no longer pick that team.

For example, if you pick New England in week 1, you can’t pick them again for the remainder of the pool.

I’m taking Philly for week 1.

[quote]malonetd wrote:
Anyone ever do a suicide pool? I’ve been playing them years and it’s pretty much the only kind of pool I’ll play any more.

All you do is, each week pick one team to win their game. If they win, you get to play the next week. If they lose, you’re out of the pool. The one catch is that once you pick a team to win, you can no longer pick that team.

For example, if you pick New England in week 1, you can’t pick them again for the remainder of the pool.

I’m taking Philly for week 1.[/quote]

Yup, I love suicide pools, they’re the only football betting I do, as well.

I have 2 entries, and took Indy and San Diego in Week 1.

I’m hoping the Chargers start this season off a little better than last year…

I’m in a rank’em pool this year for the first time.

Pick the outcomes of each game, no spread, and rank them in terms of points - so in the 15th spot maybe I’d have the Colts winning because I’m more certain of that game coming through, whereby I’d have maybe the Titans beating the Jaguars in the number 1 spot because it could go either way.

Tally up the points for the year, winner has the most, etc.

Okay…after last night’s ridiculously, retarded, lousy game…my NFL season is pretty much over. I’m believing the Redskins will go 4-12 at best…christ…the Raven’s are going to suck too…I might end up cheering for…I don’t know…someone gimme a team…fuck it…maybe I’ll watch soccer instead and end it all around November.

Skins looked like shit last night. I had the Giants and the under…$$$$…

but I am a degenerate.

Chiefs QB sucks but I am not sure who to take. I would want at least 21.5 if I was going to take the Cheifs in Pat-town.